I believe a good teacher, first, has a powerful faith in the future. Like the forester planting an oak seedling knowing he or she will never see the tree in all its glory, I know I may never see the fruits of my labors as teacher. My calling is to plant and nurture seeds that will grow and shape tomorrow.
(Community Medicine) 1983 ANDHRA MEDICAL COLLEGE
1979 ANDHRA MEDICAL COLLEGE
Dr. NALAM UDAYA KIRAN
401, County Apartments,
Lobo Lane, Bendore,
Mobile: (concealed information)
e-mail: (concealed information)
(Community Medicine) 1983 ANDHRA MEDICAL COLLEGE
1979 ANDHRA MEDICAL COLLEGE
PROFESSOR GVP MEDICAL COLLEGE 27-8-2018 TILL DATE
Vice-dean / dean Mahavir institute of medical sciences 25-1-2017 TO
Professor & Head K S hegde medical academy, mangalore 23-3-2010 to 24-1-2017
Professor & head & vice-Principal GSL medical college rajahmundry 1-9-2007 to 26-2-2010
Visiting professor Jiangxi Chinese medical university 1-10-2006 to 29-8-2007
Professor Kasturba Medical College Mangalore 20-10-92 to 28-9-2006
Associate Professor Kasturba Medical College Mangalore 20-10-90 to 20-1092
Reader Kasturba Medical College Mangalore 20-10-88 to 20-10-90
Asst.Professor/Lecturer Kasturba Medical College Manipal 20-10-83 to 20-10-88
Certificate in Epidemiology, Christian Medical College, Vellore 1988
Certificate in Medical Education, JIPMER, Pondicherry, 1987
Certificate in Nutrition National Institute of Nutrition,Hyderabad 1986
Undergraduate Teaching experience 36 yrs
As a teacher taught Medical, Dental, Pharmaceutical and Nursing students in the Subject of Preventive & Social Medicine ( now called as Community Medicine)
Postgraduate teaching experience 6 yrs
Conducted examination for undergraduate and postgraduate Medical students and also for undergraduate homeopathy and naturopathy Medical students.
Worked as visiting professor for MBBS course at Jiangxi Chinese Medical University.
Worked as project manager, Kachia primary health care project, Nigeria. Sponsored by Tulasi Chanrai Foundation.
Awarded prestigious Mount Lushan award by governor of Jiangxi province for the year 2006-2007 for outstanding work as a foreign expert.
Conducted research in nutritional sciences and
Attended national and international
conferences and presented many scientific papers.
Chaired many scientific sessions in the national and
Invited as a panel member in the annual national
conferences of Indian Association of Preventive and
Editorial Board Member of Indian Journal of Community
Medicine from 1997 onwards
Published 32 research articles in renowned national and
Community Nutrition. My thesis for MD is “ A study of the prevalence of nutritional disorders in Tribal area of Visakhapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh”.
Indian Association of Preventive & Social Medicine.
Indian Public Health Association.
Indian Medical Association.
Karnataka Association of Community Health.
Married and having two children. Dr Gautham my elder son is now working as faculty member of Gitam College of Dental sciences, Visakhapatnam. Preetham, my younger son is pursuing MBA course in Alliance University, Bangalore. My wife Jyothi, is good in cooking and fashion design and she is actively involved in social service. She has the experience of teaching in reputed schools both in India & abroad.
1. Dr Sanjiv Badigar, professor of community medicine, KSHEMA, Mangalore
2. Dr. S K Mishra, Professor and Head, Department of Community Medicine, GSL Medical College, Rajahmundry
3. Dr S Jayaram, Professor & head of Community Medicine, AJIMS, Mangalore.
1. Study of Nutritional Deficiencies in a village of vishakhapatnam District; First Annual conference of AP chapter of IAPSM*; February 1981.
2. An experiment in the Delivery of Primary Health Care; FPAI - UGC workshop on primary health care: Department of PSM; BHU, Varanasi, February 1981.
3. Pattern of Illness in an Urban Slum; AP Journal of Community Medicine: Second Annual Conference of AP Chapter of IAPSM*; January 1982.
4. A study of Reverse smoking and its Effect on Health in a Rural Area of Vishakhapatnam District; Third Annual conference of AP chapter of IAPSM*; January 1983.
5. Role of youth in Achieving Goals for 2000 AD: National Conference on “Role of Universities in HFA 2000”; Manipal ; December 1986.
6. Epidemiology of Malnutrition in a Rural Area of Dakshina Kannada District; Second Annual Conference of Karnataka Association of Community Health; December 1988.(Best paper award)
7. KAP of Eligible Couples in Rural Area of Dakshina Kannada; National Conference of IPHA**, Varanasi; February 1989.
8. Pattern of Blood Pressure in a Rural Area of Mangalore; National Conference of IAPSM*; Gawahati, October 1989.
9. Demographic and Socioeconomic pattern of patients attending a PHC National Conference of IPHA**, Karad, February 1991.
10. Malaria surveillance a time for change, 23rd Annual conference of IAPSM*, Patiala October 1994.
11. Multi Indicator survey of D.K. District Annual conference of IPHA**, February 1996, Delhi.
12. Pattern of smoking at KMC hospital, Attavar, Mangalore, WATCH 2000, An international seminar on Tobacco conducted at Taj Palace, Delhi, December 2000
13. vegetarianism – a multi-dimensional approach, WONCA, Colombo, Sri Lanka, November 2002.
14. Cost-effective strategies for control of malaria in Mangalore city, conference on cost effective health care, Singapore general hospital, Singapore.
15. Key note speaker “ Evidence Based Medicine” at nitte university, Mangalore 12th April 2014
16. Presented a paper on "Rabies prevention strategies" at Valencia, Spain October 2016
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
Sl. No Title of the Article Name of the Journal Date of Publication Author serial order
1. Study of Nutritional Deficiencies in a village of Vishakhapatnam District AP Journal of Community Medicine, Vol.1 and No.1, P.27. 1981 1
2. An experiment in the Delivery of Primary Health Care
Indian J. of PSM; Vol. 12, No.1, P.28 1981 1
3. Pattern of Illness in an Urban Slum
AP J of Com. Med; Vol.III, No.IV, P.48, July 1982 1
4. Flood Relief Operations - Participation of Andhra Medical College,
AP Journal of Community Medicine; Vol.III, No.V; P.9, December 1982 1
5. A study of Reverse smoking and its Effect on Health in a Rural Area of
AP Journal of Community Medicine; Vol. IV, No.VI July 1983 1
6. Trends of Cancer Admissions at KMC,Hospital, Manipal,
Indian Journal of Community Medicine; Vol. 14, No.4; P.153; 1989. 1
7. Pattern of patients coming to Outpatient clinic of a PHC Journal of KACH; June 1992 1
8. Validation of EIA visual AMBS test- A new Diagnostic test on Amoebic hepatitis
41st IMA state annual conference souvenir Mavelikara, Kerala P. 107-109 November 1997 1
9. Strategies for Malaria control in Mangalore city
Indian Journal of Community Health.Vol.4,(No.2) and Vol.5 (No.1), p.173 -178
10. Morbidity Profile of inmates in Old age homes in Mangalore, South India International Journal of Medical and Public Health June 2016 01
11. Work Related Injuries among Fishermen – A descriptive Study in Few Coastal
Areas of South India Evidence based Medicine & Health Care March 2016. 04
12. Quality of life and Risk factors of Hypertensive individuals in the field
practice areas of a tertiary-care hospital in Coastal Karnataka International Journal of Medical and Public Health March 2016 04
13. Validation of Standard of Living Scale with Comparison to Other Socio-Economic scales in a Semi Urban Area of Mangalore : A Pilot Study Nitte University Journal of Science March 2016 03
14. Work Related Injuries Among Fisherman- A Descriptive Study in New Coastal Areas of south India Evidence Based Medical Health Care March 2016 04
15. Effectiveness of Video Assisted Health Teaching Programme Regarding Knowledge on Prevention of Occupational Hazards among Fishermen Working in Mangalore Harbour, India Amercian International Journal of Research in Humanities , Arts and Social Sciences JUN-Aug 2015 02
16. A Cross sectional Study on Pattern of Tobacco Consumption and Prevalence of Passive Smoking and its Health Hazard Awareness Among Elderly patients : A Coastal Karnataka Study” . Journal of Advance Research in Biological Sciences Vol. 7 No. 1 pg. 223-228 Dec. 2015 04
17. A Cross sectional Study on Community Prevalence and treatment practice of Hypertension with Household awareness about it in semi Urban Mangalore : A Pilot Study Nitte University Journal of Science December 2015 03
18. A Study of Morbidity Pattern of Patients Attending a Rural Clinic of Coastal Karnataka International Journal of Contemporary Medicine July-Dec 2015 03
19. Household Survey on Determinants of Indoor Air Pollution ( IAP) and its Health Hazard Awareness among Women: A Cross Sectional Study International Journal of Preventive Cut. of Community Medicine October 2015 03
20. A Community based Cross Sectional Study on Usage of Bed Nets among Rural Households of Mangalure, Karnataka. International Journal of Contemporary Microbiology July-Dec 2015 03
21. A Cross sectional Study to asses housing conditions and to compare it with education and socio economic status of a semi urban area in Mangalore : A Pilot Study Nitte University Journal of Science September 2015 04
22. KAP study of Solid Waste Disposal of Households in Kuttar and ManjanadiPanchayath covered under Gramakshema Programme of K.S. Hegde Medical Academy Nitte University Journal of Science September 2015 05
23. Morbidity Profile of Patients Attending Health camp at Mahamasthakabhisheka Festival at Karkala Karnataka International Journal of current Research in Life Science September 2015 03
24. A Cross sectional Study to determine the Prevalence of Diabetes Mellitus and its Household awareness it the rural field practice areas of a medical college in Mangalore : A Pilot Study Nitte University Journal of Science September 2015 03
25. Food Securing and Nutrition Consumption among Households in the Semi-Urban field Practice Area of K.S. Hegde Medical Academy Mangalore : A Pilot Study Nitte University Journal of Science June 2015 03
26. Knowledge Attitude Practice about Malaria among Residents of Coastal Karnataka : A Cross Sectional Study International Journal of Contemporary Microbiology Jan-June 2015 03
27. Effectiveness of Participatory learning activity ( PLA) cum lecture method on knowledge of Nursing students in HIV/AIDS IOSR Journal of Nursing science April 2014 02
28. Proportion of Depression among the Elderly Population in A Rural Health Care setting Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research Jan 2014 04
29. A Pilot study of Knowledge & Practice Regarding Prevention of Occupational Hazards and Attitude Towards Utilisation of safety Measures Among Fishermen Working at a Selected Harbour Nitte University Journal of Science September 2013 02
30. Global Warming : Its Implications among the College Students of Mangalore City Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences July 2013 03
31. Knowledge Regarding RCH Service among Health Workers, Pregnant Mothers and Adolescents in Rural Field Practice Area. Nitte University Journal of Science June 2013 03
32. Prevalence and Risk Factors of Under Nutrition among Under five Children in a Rural Community. Nitte University Journal of Science December 2013 03
Positions and awards
1. President of Telugu samskritika samithi at Manipal during 1986-87
2. Best paper award presented at Bangalore in Annual Conference of Karnataka Association of Community Health, December 1988 at KIMS Bangalore
3. Organising secretary of 4th annual Conference of KACH at Mangalore Dec. 1989
4. Chairman of scientific session at annual Conference of IPHA Varanasi 1989
5. Chairman of scientific session at Annual Conference of IPHA
6. District team leader National evaluation of immunization at Kerala in 1990
7. Secretary of Telugu Association Mangalore during 1989-90
8. Convenor of RNE staff club 1991-92
9. Guest speaker on “ Epidemiology of AIDS “ in a work-shop organised by Lions club 1994.
10. Chairman of Scientific session at Annual conference of IAPSM Patiala 1994
11. Chief investigator Multi Indicator survey of Dakshina Kannada Dist. (UNICEF) 1995.
12. Central Council Member IMA 1995-96.
13. Vice president Karnataka Association of Community Health 1996-97.
14. Editorial Board Member Indian Journal Of Community Medicine.
15. Chairman, Health Committee, Lions club of Mangalore 1996-97.
16. Chairman, Scientific session at annual Conference of IAPSM at Rohtak 1996.
17. Panel Member for a plenary session on Malaria at IAPSM conference at Surat 1999.
18. Member Medical Education cell Kasturba Medical College Mangalore
19. Chairman Haricharan Singh Oration at Annual Conference of IAPSM Hyderabad 2000
20. Vice President of IAPSM 2000-2001
21. Secretary Lions Club, Mangalore 2001-2002
22. District chairman, AIDS awareness, Lions club International (324-D4)
23. Editorial board member Journal of AIDS and infectious disease Journal
24. Chairman, scientific session on programme evaluation, conference on cost effective health care, SGH, Singapore.
25. Chief editor, Kasturba Medical College hospital news letter.
26. Visiting professor, Jiangxi Chinese Medical University, Nanchang, China. This university is approved by WHO.
27. Winner of prestigious Mt. Lushan award by the provincial government of Jiangxi province of China for the year 2006-2007. This is a provincial level award given by government of China to foreign experts of extraordinary talent.
28. Core committee member and resource person Medical Education Unit, NTR University of Health Sciences.
29. Coordinator, DNB programme, GSL Medical College, Rajahmundry.
30. Vice-principal, GSL Medical College.
31. Professor and head of peripheral health centres, KSHEMA
32. Professor and head department of community medicine KSHEMA
33. Chairman, scientific session, IAPSM annual conference, May 2013, Nagpur
34. Chairperson, souvenir committee, International Conference Of Radiobiology, 25-27 october 2013, KSHEMA MANGALORE
35. National advisor for NRT group
36. KMC observer at BIMA Bhatkal on 15-5-2016
37. Chief guest for “Hands on workshop on OSCE at A B Shetty Dental college,Mangalore.
38. Guest speaker at workshop on Infection control heald at Valencia, Spain, October 2016
39. Vice-dean / Dean Mahavir Institute of medical sciences, Vikarabad
40. Received Dr Rammurthy oration award for the year 2019 from AP state IPHA on 31-1-2019 at Kakinada.
medicine classes closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest health and social sciences classes to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, pharmaceuticals classes for all!
Taking science of nutrition classes has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||₹530||Not available||Not available|
|10 hours||₹5,200||Not available||Not available|