My approach is to get the best out of my students through a combination of focused study and ambitious, but realistic, targets.
Students perform best when they see the results of their efforts, so signposting this to them is a key method of my teaching programme. Supporting my students is what I do best!
I am half-Indian, half-Irish, a UK citizen, moving to Mumbai full time. I have completed undergraduate (University of Sheffield) and postgraduate (King's College London) degrees in Philosophy and have previous experience in tutoring.
Philosophy develops advanced analytical skills, ability to read material closely for meaning, clear and logical thinking and communication. I will bring all these skills to my teaching.
I am patient, inspiring and an excellent communicator. At the same time, I believe lessons should be fun for students.
No fee charged if cancellation is made within 24 hours.
ARJUN RAI-ROCHE - BA, MA
A Masters graduate from King’s College London with experience in administration, project development and tuition, currently seeking work in Mumbai.
2017-2018 King’s College London – MA (Hons) in Philosophy; Graduated with Merit.
2010-2014 University of Sheffield – BA (Hons) in Philosophy; Graduated 2:1.
2002-2009 - Trinity Catholic School, A Levels – History: A, Maths: A, English Literature: A.
2016 – 2019, Student tutoring for GCSE and below
- In addition to my other work, I have worked with students preparing for GCSE examinations, helping them through History, English and Philosophy curriculum and exam questions.
February 2019 - June 2019, Student Information Officer, Faculty of Law and Social Sciences, SOAS
- Processed student applications for deadline extensions and was subsequently invited to sit on the panel that reviewed policy. Assisted in producing the end of year report with recommended policy alterations for the new academic year. Led workshops to instruct and assist students in preparing their applications.
- Responsible for ensuring marks were collated on time for the faculty, liaised with department heads and academics to provide faculty-wide administrative support. Provided any other support for students on an ad hoc basis.
July 2016 - September 2017, Office Manager, Health Poverty Action
Worked with the head of Finance and Administration to deliver a variety of key projects:
- Conducted reviews which led to a change of contract providers for printing, data, IT, telephony and waste removal.
- Arranged redecoration and refurbishment of the office, reorganised layout, upgraded IT equipment, performed archival work.
- Was point of contact for board members, country heads as well as over 200 staff from our projects across Asia and Africa.
- Organised board meetings and AGMs, prepared reports for board of directors, drafted contracts, assisted with office budgeting.
- Oversaw administrative aspects of a merger with another organisation – Find Your Feet. Attended to day-to-day office upkeep: ordered supplies, answered phones, distributed post, liaised with off-site IT support, lead staff inductions and performed other administrative tasks as they arose.
July 2015 - June 2016 – Travelled widely in India, South America and Europe.
May 2015 - July 2015, Account Manager, Alliance Medical
- Managed two accounts – 3D Rehabilitation and Overland Health.
- Liaised with patients and hospitals to ensure optimal appointment dates were booked in.
- Provided patients with travel instructions and logged their data effectively.
October 2014 – May 2015, Customer Support Agent, BAXI
- Coordinated engineer’s visits and ensured a smooth customer journey.
- Sold insurance plans to customers and delivered advice on the types of services that BAXI offered.
- Input customer data and added warranty to customer profiles.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent active listening and conflict resolution skills.
- Good experience in delivering multiple projects to deadline.
- Excellent report writing and written communication skills.
Courses and Certificates
- University of Adelaide Introduction to Project Management.
EXTRA CURRICULAR ACHIEVEMENTS
- Represented KCL Men’s Firsts in the university league as well as the 2018 BUCS competition.
- Cadet Winton Cup - Represented the West Midlands.
- Gold medal in the West Midlands regional qualifier.
- ABRSM Grade 8 violin and Grade 5 music theory.
Arjun tutored my daughter through her year 9 SATs and the first year of her GCSEs. She attained great marks in both and always thought his lessons were fun and engaging . Arjun puts a great deal of thought into his lessons and I would highly recommend him as a tutor!
Arjun is very intelligent, personable and devoted to educating, and always explains things in a clear and intuitive way.
Arjun was an excellent tutor for my young son. During his time with us he significantly improved my son's English, helped him work towards his exams (that he passed with flying colours) and established a greater appreciation for the language.
He works well to the syllabus (he had to learn it himself for the tutoring) and carefully took my son through all of the things he would need to pass. My son said he made it fun and enjoyable and he was a kind a thoughtful teacher.
Would highly recommend!
Is a brilliant and qualified teacher, his approach with the students is playful and patient. I am not coming from a British background and my child has picked up some grammatical errors, Arjun helped him teaching the correct forms and adding a British accent. Currently my son feels accepted and confident.
I highly recommend him.
Arjun is an excellent teacher. He is very patient, and has a real way with words when it comes to explaining things. Not only is he knowledgeable and passionate but also calm and approachable. He has high expectations but I felt confident that I would meet them, he is a great listener and taught me at a pace I felt comfortable with. I felt that he was always prepared for every lesson, and he is kind and funny so I always looked forward to them. I would definitely recommend Arjun to anybody.
school english classes closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading classes to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, literature classes for all!
Taking writing classes has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|