The genius chemistry professor Walter White in the world-renowned TV series Breaking Bad has popularised chemistry on a cultural level and for just reasons. Chemistry is one such subject underlying all that matters and all that is ‘matter’.
Its demand in the world of academics is no less. Little needs to be said about the value of studying a science degree courses from any good institution in Delhi.
With being home to great institutions for science such as the University of Delhi and Jawaharlal Nehru University, pursuing chemistry courses from Delhi is not just a good career option but even a badge of honour.
Any young kid interested in the basics of chemistry may develop enough passion for the subject so as to make it the base for his career. In this respect, it is extremely important to figure out not just the scope of different chemistry courses but also the career options it provides.
No less is important to determine how to approach the subject and from where to pursue it. As one ponders over these things, we have collected extensive data for anyone who is interested in making chemistry his or her career option in Delhi. For students who choose chemistry in class 11 in CBSE board, it is important to build a base from the start.
An Introduction To Chemistry
As a scientific discipline, chemistry includes the study of all forms of matter, their composition, properties and chemical reactions with other elements. To study chemistry is to understand ‘matter’. The matter is anything that has mass and space. This implies that everything around us is made up of matter. From furniture to our own bodies, everything is matter. With atoms and compounds forming the constituents of matter, chemistry is also known as ‘The Science of Matter’.
Chemistry is not a separate discipline as such. It often forms a part of various other disciplines. For instance, bio-energetic is a mix of biology and chemistry. The same goes for geo-chemistry. Chemistry, in other words, provides a foundation for understanding the basics of various disciplines on a more fundamental level.
Different Chemistry Courses Offered In Delhi
General chemistry as a specialisation subject has a large number of subdisciplines. However, there are five main branches of chemistry which are most common and pursued as an established career. They are listed below:
Organic chemistry is the study of the properties, structure and reactions of organic compounds, which contain carbon in covalent bonding. Organic compounds are based on the chemistry of carbon. A major focus of organic chemistry is the isolation, purification, and structural study of the naturally occurring substances. Examples would be formic acid (HCO2H) in ants, ethyl alcohol (C2H5OH) in fermenting fruit, and oxalic acid (C2H2O4) in rhubarb leaves.
Study of such substances, which normally have little or no carbon, constitutes the discipline of inorganic chemistry. In other words, Inorganic chemistry is the study of the structure, properties and reactions of all chemical elements and compounds excluding organic compounds (hydrocarbons and their derivatives). Sodium chloride (NaCl): used as table salt is one of the many inorganic compounds.
Analytical chemistry is the study of examining materials by separating them into their components and identifying each one and how much there is of each one. Techniques used by analytical chemistry are titration, precipitation, spectroscopy, chromatography, etc. Analytical chemistry has applications including in forensic chemistry or science, bioanalysis, clinical analysis, environmental analysis, and materials analysis.
Biological Chemistry Or Biochemistry
Interpreting the physiological processes of living organisms in terms of molecular structure and reactivity is what defines the discipline of biochemistry. Biochemists employ the techniques and theories of chemistry to explore the molecular basis of life. In biochemistry, an organism is investigated on the basis that its physiological processes are the results of a large number of chemical reactions occurring in a highly integrated manner. Biochemistry can be divided into three fields; molecular genetics, protein science and metabolism.
Physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry dealing with the relations between the physical properties of substances and their chemical composition and transformations. Physical Chemistry seeks to measure, correlate, and explain the quantitative aspects of chemical processes. It deals with the concepts of physics such as motion, energy, force, time, thermodynamics, quantum chemistry, statistical mechanics, analytical dynamics and chemical equilibrium.
Best Chemistry Course Options In Delhi
The buzz of educational institutions in Delhi is beyond comprehension. Irrespective of the stream you come from, there are plenty of good options to pursue your studies from. Upon scratching the surface, we come across some renowned institutions enrolling in which would provide a large range of options from excellent exposure to the subject to undergraduate research opportunities.
Best Schools for 10+2 Science
- Springdales School: Run by the Springdales School Society in New Delhi, Springdales are among the most prestigious institutions in the country. The schools are affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
- Modern School: Modern School is ranked amongst the best schools in India. Alumni of the school, generally known as Modernites, include some of India's most prominent politicians, government officials, and business leaders. The best-known alumnus is late author Khushwant Singh.
- Delhi Public School, R.K. Puram: DPS regularly features at the top of various rankings for academic excellence. Located in South Delhi district, DPS is affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), the country's largest educational board, and is recognized by the Department of Education, Govt. of NCT Delhi and the Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India.
Best Colleges/Universities For Chemistry Courses:
- Jawaharlal Nehru University: The chemistry department of JNU is among India’s best universities in terms of research and training purposes. The university is equipped with excellent infrastructure, advanced chemistry labs and a well-stocked library.
- University of Delhi: Consisting of three colleges, two faculties, and 750 students at its founding, the University of Delhi has since become India's largest institution of higher learning and among the largest in the world. DU has graduated many notable alumni, including seven heads of state or government and two Nobel laureates.
Other Options To Look For:
While the level of educational institutions in Delhi is of a higher level. Nevertheless, a student in order to cope better in a high level of competition may seek additional help in learning chemistry.
There are a large number of private coaching classes in Delhi. Chemistry coaching in Delhi is always in great demand for it helps in the sense that they lay out the course descriptions and effective methods of studying structure and function of chemistry. Mock tests and study materials offered in the coaching classes are also going to be of great help in preparation for high school chemistry exams.
There is no one answer on how to study chemistry. A private tutor is going to be even more effective in the sense that he will address the specific problem that you are facing in a particular topic of chemistry. He or she can also point out the areas you find difficult in basic chemistry and can help you improve on that. You can find such private teachers on Superprof India.
Online Chemistry Tuition
Online courses in chemistry are also going to be of great help to the students of chemistry. Apart from online coaching classes, a student of chemistry can also help himself with introductory chemistry notes and online chemistry courses available on the internet. Chemistry classes can help you build a basic understanding of the subject.
One can always find chemistry lessons on Youtube. For students in class 11 and 12, a lot of channels on Youtube help in clearing basic doubts.
Career Prospects For Degree Holders In Chemistry
A degree in chemistry can make you not only to excel in laboratory skills but can also open up a wide career option. Here are a few among the many career options available for a degree holder in chemistry:
- Chemical Engineer: a chemical engineer is a professional equipped with the knowledge of chemical engineering and works principally in the chemical industry to convert basic raw materials into a wide variety of products. He also deals with the design and operation of plants and equipment.
- Analytical Chemist: Analytical chemists put the chemical structure and nature of substances into the assessment. Their skills are helpful for a variety of purposes including drug development, forensic analysis and toxicology. Analytical chemists can also specialise in areas as varied as toxicology, pharmaceuticals and forensics.
- Forensic Scientist: Forensic scientists aid criminal investigations by collecting and analyzing evidence. Many chemistry experts specialize in either crime scene investigation or laboratory analysis.
- Biotechnologist: Biotechnologists are research scientists who devise methods of utilizing natural biological processes to create products used in everyday life. They strive to understand the workings of biological organisms, from the genes at the molecular level to all the way up to entire organisms and how they perform their functions.
- Healthcare Scientist: A healthcare scientist is defined by Wikipedia as-
“a scientist working in any of a number of health-related disciplines. Healthcare scientists may work directly for health service providers, or in academia or industry.”
There are many other career options such as chemist, pharmacologist, nanotechnologist, toxicologist and so on. In short, a chemistry degree is worth its weight. All that a student requires is to draw out his career plans through a thorough qualitative analysis and decide on the basis of that what his approach regarding chemistry should be.