- 01. History Of Yoga: Evolution Of Yoga in India
- 02. Know Your Yoga: Understand the Science of Yoga!
- 03. Yoga Classes Near Me in Ahmedabad
- 04. Lakulish Yoga University
- 05. International Alliance of Yoga Therapists
- 06. Divya Jivan Sangh Sivananda Ashram
- 07. Gyanish Yoga & Wellness
- 08. Nirvikalp Yoga Academy
Yoga can be considered as the oldest 'recorded' form of exercise in the young history of Homo sapiens. Its origins can be traced back to c. sixth and fifth centuries BCE.
Some historians even put the date as far back as the Vedic age, where references to yoga could be found in the ancient Indian text viz. the Rig Veda. In other words, yoga preceded the Buddha. No wonder He was so taken in by this discipline that aims to straddle the spiritual, mental and physical realms.
Here is a comprehensive guide to yoga courses in India.
History Of Yoga: Evolution Of Yoga in India
The history of yoga is conventionally categorized into four eras or periods by scholars across the ages.
- Pre-Classical Yoga believed to have been developed during the age of the great Indus Valley civilization five millennia before our time. That's what we call old!
- Classical Yoga, also called Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra is often recognized as the first codified body of knowledge on the theories and practice of yoga.
- Post-Classical Yoga focuses on a way of life that encourages people to live in the moment instead of worrying unduly about liberation etc.
- Modern Yoga is the last and the contemporary phase of yoga. This was developed in the late 1800s and has been in vogue ever since.
The yogic tradition has evolved primarily out of a few primitive forms of yoga.
Know Your Yoga: Understand the Science of Yoga!
Before deciding to enrol yourself into a yoga studio or online yoga classes or appoint your very own private yoga trainer in Madurai, it is advisable to learn and understand the different forms of yoga. They serve different purposes.
This gentle form of yoga is most ideal for beginners who are looking to improve their body's flexibility and balance.
Also known as power yoga, this form of yoga is ideal for those who are looking to lose bodyweight.
‘Surya Namaskar’ is a popular form of vinyasa yoga.
This form of yoga is recommended for those with chronic pain in their muscles and joints. Iyengar yoga is designed to help strengthen both.
This is the best-suited yoga for improving body flexibility.
An amalgamation of different breathing exercises, chanting and physical movements, Kundalini yoga is more spiritual in nature, helping you to relax.
Ashtanga yoga is an advanced form of yoga that includes physically intense poses and exercises.
It is exactly what it says! Designed for pregnant women and combining exercises and breathing techniques, prenatal yoga aims to reduce health risks during the critical prenatal stage of pregnancy.
Yoga Classes Near Me in Ahmedabad
The first Indian city to win the prestigious tag of UNESCO World Heritage City, Ahmedabad has a lively yoga scene! Some well-established and most respected ashramas and yoga training institutes are located in the city.
Whether you are looking for a private yoga trainer, online yoga classes or yoga courses in institutes, you have come to the right place! Let us explore a few of the more well-known places to learn yoga in Ahmedabad.
Lakulish Yoga University
The Lakulish International Fellowship’s Enlightenment Mission (LIFE Mission) was founded in 199Swami Rajarshi Muni. The Mission aims to,
To conduct a worldwide campaign for spiritual and cultural awakening.
To promote and propagate the knowledge and practice of the ancient science of yoga.
To help direct minds of people towards cultural, moral, ethical and spiritual values
To serve humanity through selfless service without discrimination based on race, religion, nationality, caste or gender.
The unique feature of the University's courses on offer is that all of them focus only on the teachings of Yoga. Yoga is the central focus of learning and not just an ancillary subject.
The principle that drives yogic teaching at the university is that of oneness in an otherwise plural society through the medium of yoga.
Courses on Offer
The university runs fulls-time graduate, post-graduate and other higher studies programmes through a three-fold approach in learning yoga.
- Yoga for Health
- Yoga for Career
- Yoga for Mind
Here are some of the top yoga courses in Chennai.
International Alliance of Yoga Therapists
The Alliance aims to promote holistic health and wellbeing for a more fulfilling and happy life. They believe that the process of achieving wellness is a process of transformation towards a more healthy lifestyle (both mentally as well as physically).
Become a Yoga Therapist and Make a Difference!
Yoga therapy makes for a promising career. What's more, you get to alleviate people's current station in life. Help someone achieve good health and wellness. Become that yoga therapist that someone looks up to!
Ace these Courses
In order to become a Yoga therapist, the Alliance has designed three courses.
1. FCCYT - Foundation Certificate Course in Yoga Therapy
The course includes, among others:
- Definition and understanding of yoga as a way of life.
- Yogic anatomy and physiology.
- Therapeutic qualities of yoga.
2. ACCYT - Advance Certificate Course in Yoga Therapy
The course includes, among others:
- Introduction to Adhi, Vyadhi and Upadhi
- Yogic Prognosis of Adhi-Daihik, Adhi-Bhautik and Adhi-Atmik Vyadhis (Diseases)
- Vyadhi Karan (Causes of Diseases)
- Rog-Vikruti Vigyan (Symptoms of Diseases)
- Yogic Mano-Vigyan (Yogic Principles of Psychiatry)
- Yogic Swasthya and Rog-Mukti Tantra (Use of special Yoga Techniques in Health and Illness)
- Principles of Yoga Therapy
3. MCCYT - Master Certificate Course in Yoga Therapy - Master Yognostic
The course includes, among others:
- Ambit and Limitations of Yoga Therapy
- Preventive, Curative and Restorative Aspects of Yoga Therapy
- Yoga Therapy and Ayurveda Chikitsa Vigyan
- Clinical Practice - Somatic Diseases/ Disorders
- Clinical Practice - Psychosomatic Diseases/ Disorders
- Clinical Practice - Mental and Emotional Disorders
- Clinical Practice - Hormonal Disorders
- Clinical Practice - Ojas-Kshay Diseases
- Clinical Practice - Diseases/ Disorders of Sadosh Yoga (Improper/wrong Yogic Practices)
Divya Jivan Sangh Sivananda Ashram
Sivananda Ashram, Ahmedabad was established under the aegis of Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj. The Ashram is renowned for its teachings and forays into educational, social and spiritual work with the aim of uplifting communities.
Yoga Teacher Training
The Ashram offers yoga classes in three categories, viz. beginner course, advanced course and yoga classes for women.
Apart from these, the Ashram has a well-run teacher training program for aspiring yogis, conducted under the guidance of Swami Adhyartmanandaji. The course fee is INR 9000/ $ 300, which includes meals and lodging for the students in the Ashram premises.
Looking for suitable yoga classes in Kolkata?
Gyanish Yoga & Wellness
In Gyanish, Gyan means “know” and Ish means “self” i.e. “know yourself”.
Founded in 2015, the organization conducts yoga workshops and yoga camps in hospitals, schools, corporate offices, bank, college as well as in the army, air force and police cantonments.
The organization offers courses that are both online or offline.
The courses are designed through a four-pronged approach to yoga.
As a method for physical fitness and health maintenance.
As a body-oriented therapy.
As a comprehensive lifestyle.
As a spiritual discipline.
Gyanish does not ask for any prior yoga experience from its students. Everyone is welcome here to partake in the life-changing journey of yoga. If you already are into yoga but want to enhance your knowledge and understanding of the discipline, pick a course at Gyanish.
Fulfil your yoga needs in Hyderabad with this comprehensive guide!
Nirvikalp Yoga Academy
The Nirvikalp Yoga Academy Teacher Training Course focuses on the science of consciousness in order to enable the body and the mind to achieve perfection.
Certified Teacher Training Course
Nirvikalp Yoga Academy provides intensive teacher training courses in Ahmedabad. The course has three elements to it - theory, practical and advanced meditations.
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Yoga philosophy
- Spiritual philosophy
- Food and diet.
- Asana Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha.
- Prana Vidya
- Chakra Sadhana
Get ahead in the world of yoga in Mumbai.
This program is specifically designed to help workaholics relax a little! The course involves exercises, meditation and breathing techniques.
General Fitness Yoga
Nirvikalp yoga trainers teach you yoga asanas in a group of like-minded individuals.
Personal Yoga Classes at Home
Nirvikalp also offers home-based yoga training for socially shy ones. The course includes all the basic tenets of yoga - asanas, pranayama pratyahara, dharna and meditation techniques.
Stress Management and Meditation
Focussed specifically on relaxation techniques to help you calm your nerves and achieve clarity in thoughts and peace of mind.
This course harnesses kids' concentration while helping them work on and improve body strength, the flexibility of muscles and overall body awareness.
Prenatal and Postnatal Yoga
This course primarily aims to prepare the mother for the birth of her child. There is also a provision to continue yogic practice post-delivery of the baby.
Detoxification through Kriya
A series of cleansing practices to ensure the purification of the body of toxins.
- Sat Karma
- Vaman Kriya
- Eye Cleansing
Yoga is for everyone, and not just for the fitness freaks who are out there giving everyone an inferiority complex!
Check out these yoga courses near me.
The platform that connects tutors and students