In high school, there is no specific stream requirement for pursuing a degree in law in college or at university. Generally, students who want to pursue law right after their 12th take up Humanities or Commerce streams. Some of the popular subjects for students aspiring for a Law degree in India are Political Science, Legal Studies, Economics, History, and Psychology. These subjects help form a base for the subjects taught in Law schools and they also provide an insight to school students into the legal system of India.
Good communications skills, strong logical and analytical skills, an eye for detail, and confidence are some of the qualities required to excel in the legal profession. Opportunities for law graduates are abundant in this country, from practicing in courts to working with corporate firms, government department ministries, becoming a judge, a public prosecutor, and so on.
Social justice, business, public policy, technology, the arts, and practically every other aspect of civilized society relies on a well-functioning legal system. And that system needs lawyers.
Your journey to becoming a lawyer, after high school, begins with a graduate degree in Law (L.L.B). You can pursue this either right after class 12th or after your graduation in any other subject. If the law is what you want to study, enroll yourself in a 5-year integrated program that teaches you basic graduation subjects along with the subjects of Law. The most common course combinations offered are B.A L.L.B (Hons), B.Sc L.L.B (Hons), BBA L.L.B (Hons) and B.Com L.L.B (Hons).
Key Entrance Exams for 5-Year L.L.B Programs
Some of the top undergraduate entrance examinations for Law in India are:
- Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) – It is a two-hour, computer-based, standardized test for admission to 18 prominent National Law Universities in India. It covers objective-type questions relating to elementary Mathematics, English with Comprehension, General knowledge, Current Affairs, Legal Aptitude, and Logical Reasoning.
- All India Law Entrance Test (AILET) – This test is conducted by National Law University (Delhi) for providing admission to its integrated BA. L.L.B (Hons.) and includes sections like English, General Knowledge, Legal Aptitude, Reasoning, and Numerical Ability.
- Law School Admission Test (LSAT) – It is a standardized test with a duration of 3 hours 30 minutes, designed to assess reading comprehension, Logical and Analytical Reasoning proficiencies. These test scores are accepted by Jindal Global Law School, Alliance School of Law, Faculty of Law (SRM University), Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law (IIT Kharagpur), amongst others.
- Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET) – Symbiosis International University conducts this test for admission to its undergraduate law programs. It consists of sections like Logical Reasoning, Legal Reasoning, Analytical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, and General Knowledge.
Key Entrance Exams for 3-Year L.L.B Programs
The entrance exams that you need to give for securing your admission in a 3-year L.L.B program are:
- DU L.L.B –This exam is conducted by the Faculty of Law, Delhi University. It consists of sections like English Language and Comprehension, Current Affairs, General Knowledge, Quantitative Aptitude, Analytical & Logical Reasoning, and Legal Awareness & Aptitude.
- LSAT – This test is accepted by Jindal Global Law School, OP Jindal Global University, Sonipat for admission to their 3-Year L.L.B Programs. It consists of sections like Analytical Reasoning, Logical Reasoning, and Reading Comprehension.
- MH CET –It is conducted for admission to the Law colleges of Maharashtra including the well-renowned Government Law College. It tests the students on their Legal Aptitude, General Knowledge & Current Affairs, English, and Logical & Analytical Reasoning.
- BHU L.L.B– It is conducted by the Banaras Hindu University for admission to its 3-year LL.B Program. It contains sections like English Comprehension, General Awareness & Current Affairs, Aptitude & Mental Ability, and Common Legal Knowledge.
Top Law Colleges in Pune
Pune has long been considered a top education destination in the country, especially for studies in Law. Pune is one of the most developed ones of India, in terms of its contributions to India’s economy, education, and research, tourism, administration, culture, etc. Not surprisingly, one will find some of the best law colleges in India located in Pune. Here is a list of law colleges in Pune, with details of their infrastructure, facilities, management, and courses offered with qualified teaching staff. You are spoilt for choices!
ILS Law College
the prestigious law college was founded in 1924 as the Law College, Poona when the University of Bombay gave its sanction for a college of law in Poona. It has been consistently graded A+ by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalore, since 2004. The college was also the top-ranked law college in the country, as awarded by the India Today, ORG-MARG poll survey in 2005, and by the ‘Week’ in 2006.
- B.A., LL.B. (Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws): Integrated double degree program
- LL.B. (Bachelor of Laws)
- LL.M. (Masters Degree of Law)
- Ph. D.
- Diploma in Labour Laws and Labour Welfare
- Diploma in Taxation and Laws
- ILS-TCLE (Indian Law Society’s "Towards Conscious Legal Education")
- Diploma courses of the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (IALS)
The courses offered at the college are a product of critical thought and careful experiments over many productive years. Law courses offered here are characterized by a mixture of theory and practice and a commitment to public service. The pedagogy and curriculum are driven by innovation. In tune with the recent globalization of the profession, a new experiment in learning and teaching of law was proposed to the Ford Foundation at New Delhi for funds under their program ‘Rights & Social Justice' and was implemented. The college also organizes a multitude of workshops, conferences, and lectures.
Symbiosis Law School
Symbiosis Law School, Pune was established in 1977, It was earlier affiliated with the University of Pune and later became a constituent of Symbiosis International University in 2002, with an enhanced degree of autonomy in teaching, learning and research. Symbiosis Law School epitomizes excellence in legal education. Symbiosis Law School, Pune stands tall with the India Today Nelson Survey ranking the institute among the top 10 law schools of India in 2013 and the Bar Council of India conferring it with the Gold-star Award in 2013. Symbiosis Law School, Pune has the honor of being a core partner in the global network of legal institutes of the Erasmus Mundus consortium.
- 5 Years B.A., B.B.A., L.L.B. (Hons.)
- 3 Years LL.B
- 1 Year LL.M
- Diploma in International Business Laws and Corporate Laws in India
- Certificate in European Union Legal Studies
- Certificate in Asian Legal Studies
Department of Law, Savitribai Phule Pune University
The Department was established by the Pune University in 1965, as a means to meet the growing demands of legal education in the country. The Department has been rated as one of the best educational institutions. The Department has been rated as the fifth-best department in the Commonwealth of Nations in the field of legal education by the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
With a focus on contemporary social requirements and realities, the Department has designed courses to highlight the interrelationship of Law with Science and Technology, Human Rights, Intellectual Property Rights, Consumer Law, International Trade and Commercial Law, International Law, Constitution, and Administrative Law aspects.
A. K.K. New Law Academy
A. K. K. New Law Academy, established in 1994, offers a rich environment for studying law and for the students to prepare themselves for a career in the legal profession. The hands-on academic program and well-equipped computer lab with high-speed computers and free internet facilities help students to stay up-to-date on the latest from the world of law. The college is approved by the Bar Council of India and permanently affiliated with Savitribai Phule Pune University.
- 3 years Bachelor Of Law ( L.L.B )
- 5 years Bachelor Of Arts & Bachelor Of Law (B.A., L.L.B)
- 2 years Master Of Law (L.L.M)
Bharati Vidyapeeth New Law College
Bharati Vidyapeeth University’s New Law College, established in 1978, is one of the premier institutes of international excellence in the field of legal education. It is one of the constituent units of Bharati Vidyapeeth University Pune, recognized by the Bar Council of India & the University Grants Commission.
The institution offers quality legal education at undergraduate, postgraduate levels in the form of LL.B 3 Year, BBA LL.B 5 year, BA LL.B. 5 Year & LL.M.(Trimester & 2 year Course). These courses are recognized and approved by the BCI & UGC. The college also offers diploma and certificate courses in various specializations in Labour Laws, Taxation Laws, Arbitration Laws, Human Rights, Intellectual Property Rights, Cyber Laws, and Corporate Laws.
Innovative programs in interdisciplinary courses and paralegal courses, in the form of B.B.A. (LAW), expertise in Commercial drafting, Insurance law, Mergers and Acquisitions, Art of Advocacy, have also been introduced recently. There is also the provision to pursue Doctorate in Law. The college is well-equipped with contemporary infrastructure such as Auditorium, separate Moot Court Room, Human Rights Cell, Cyber Cell, Women Empowerment Cell, Legal Aid, Cell, Placement Cell, and Foreign Student Cell, etc. A well-stocked library contains classic, as well as, recent works on law and legal systems, along with an online database.