The state of West Bengal offers a number of options when it comes to choosing the best institute for a law degree. Once you have cleared your CLAT and wondering which institute to enroll yourself in, simply take a look at this comprehensive list of the top 5 institutes for law education in Calcutta, West Bengal.
Before we get started, let us also tell you about the number of career opportunities for a bachelor of law. One can either practice as an advocate in a court of law or work with corporate firms as in-house legal counsel. By clearing exams conducted by Public Service Commissions, a law graduate can also become a Judge.
- Corporate In-house
- Litigation Practice
- Government Legal Department
- Legal Process Outsourcing
- Not for Profit Sector
- Banking and Finance
- Trading Standards Officer
With the right amounts of experience in the legal field, a law graduate can hope to become Solicitor General, a Public Prosecutor, or offer services to government departments and ministries. One can also work as a legal adviser for various organizations. Teaching in colleges, working with NGOs, and working as a reporter for newspapers and television channels are other lucrative career options. Moreover, there are many options beyond the legal profession that are available to you as a bachelor of law in India.
South Calcutta Law College
Established in 1970, it is accredited by the Bar Council of India and is affiliated with the University of Calcutta, Kolkata. It offers the following courses:
- B.A + L.L.B
- BALLB (Hons.)
Some of the special papers covered across these 2 courses include:
- General Principles of Contract
- Legal Method
- Law of Torts including Motor Vehicles Accident and Consumer Protection Laws
- Administrative Law
- Property Law
- Constitutional Law
- Banking Law
- Public International Law
- Information Technology Law
- Law of Trade Marks and Designs
- Insurance Law
- Interpretation of Statutes and Principles of Legislation
- Law of Crimes (The Indian Penal Code)
- Interpretation of Statutes and Principles of Legislation
West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences
Ranked as one of the best law education institutes in India, the National University of Juridical Sciences is amongst the elite national law schools in India. The institute is built on the five-year law degree model proposed and implemented by the Bar Council of India. The university offers courses such as a five-year integrated B.A./BSc. LLB (Hons.) degree program at the undergraduate level and a Master of Laws (LLM) program at the postgraduate level.
Admission to the courses at this prestigious institute is through the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT), a highly competitive, nationwide common entrance examination, held jointly by fourteen of the seventeen national law schools. NUJS also offers MPhil, Ph.D., and diploma in business laws and other programs. It also offers a number of online courses.
The Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Science LL.B. (Hons.) degree course is open to school-leaving (Higher Secondary) aspirants to the field of law. The five-year undergraduate course is divided into ten semesters. The students represent almost all the states of India including foreign countries. This program exposes the students to Indian modes of legal education, focusing on critical thinking and self-inquiry, as well as procedure and substantive law. It also enhances the students' ability to do advanced scholarly work.
The LL.M degree course is a one-year post-graduate course. The course is meant for students wishing to become part of the academia or seek to acquire advanced research skills before joining the legal profession. The students come with divergent legal interests and career plans. The very experienced faculty members of the institute work closely with the students to help them realize their full academic potential.
The University also actively tries to involve students in their ongoing efforts to improve and enhance the program. The LL.M. program comprises a range of compulsory and optional courses and a dissertation to be completed within a time frame of two semesters having a duration of eighteen weeks each.
The M. Phil Degree Programme is specifically designed for aspiring legal academics. Students who wish to pursue independent study and research and are, perhaps, planning careers in law teaching, are ideally suited for this course. The candidate is eligible for the degree if he/she completes the prescribed requirements of the course within a maximum period of three years.
Ph.D. and LL.D.
The Ph.D. and LL.D degrees are two of the most advanced law degrees offered by the University. The selected candidates are required to produce a thesis that will constitute a substantial and valuable contribution to legal scholarship. The students are also required to incorporate the insights of other disciplines into their work.
The doctoral program is an intense course that necessitates sustained discipline and self-direction on the part of the candidates. Doctoral candidates are also given teaching assignments in addition to making presentations before the faculty community, as a means to hone their teaching skills.
NUJS Diploma Programs
- Post Graduate Diploma in Air and Space Law (PGDASL)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Nuclear Law (PGDNL)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Laws (PGDBL)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Rights (PGDHR)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Public Health Care and Medical Laws
- Post Graduate Diploma on Intellectual Property Rights Law (PGDIPRL)
NUJS Online Certificate Courses
- Certificate Course in Business & Commercial Laws (Three Month Online Course) View Details
NUJS Collaborative Courses
- Diploma in Entrepreneurship Administration and Business Laws
- Certificate Course in Sexual Harassment
Jogesh Chandra Chaudhuri Law College
Established in 1970, at the instance, initiative and financial contributions of Late Ranadeb Chaudhuri and his family members and with the active co-operation of other legal luminaries, who formed the first Governing Body of the College, Jogesh Chandra Chaudhuri College of Law is named after Jogesh Chandra Chaudhuri, who has an honored place in India’s independence movement.
- 5 Year B.A, LL.B.
- 5 Year B.A, LL.B. (Hons.)
- 2 Year LL.M.
Kingston Law College
Kingston Law College is affiliated with the West Bengal State University. It offers 3 years and 5-year Integrated Course in Law leading to L.L.B. and B.A. LL.B. degree which is approved by the Bar Council of India (BCI), New Delhi.
- B.A LLB. (Hons.) (5 years) that includes such papers as Constitutional Laws, Land Laws, Administrative Law, Property Law, Civil Procedure, Gender Justice, Juvenile Justice, Law of Evidence
Patent Right creation & Registration of Patents, Cyber Law, Labor Law, Taxation, Probation and Parole, Corporate Governance (Honors).
- B.B.A. L.L.B. (5 years) that includes such papers as Operational Research in Management, Financial Accounting, Contract, Family Law, Strategic Management, Copyright, Law of Evidence.
- LLB (3 years) that includes such papers as Land System and Land Laws, International Economic Law, Intellectual Property Law, Law of Insurance, Banking Laws including Negotiable Instrument Act, Indirect Taxes, Professional Ethics and Professional Accounting Systems, Moot Court Exercise and Internships, Company Law, Direct Taxes
- Qualified and Eminent Faculties
- Well-equipped Library
- Remedial Classes
- Practical Training Classes and Court Visit
- Legal Aid Training
- Regular Moot Court Practice Session
- Grooming Classes to Enhance International Skill
- In-campus Medical Assistance
- Well-equipped Computer Lab With Internet
Faculty of Law, University of Calcutta
The Faculty of Law, University of Calcutta is one of the oldest law institutes in the country, established in the year 1909 with the purpose of being a body of the university that is dedicated solely to the study of law. It offers higher education (bachelor of law degree and master of law degree). It is recognized by the UGC and is affiliated with the Bar Council of India (BCI). The institute has produced some of the most renowned and reputed citizens including Chief Justices of the Supreme Court, writers, leaders of movements, politicians, along with the first President of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad.
- B.A.L.L.B (5 years)
- L.L.M. (2 years)
- Ph.D. (minimum 3 years)
The campus of the Faculty of Law, University of Calcutta comes with all the modern amenities of a law institute, including Moot Court Competition, UGC Refresher Course, International, and National Seminars. The Faculty/Department has 13 affiliated Law Colleges imparting 5 Years B. A. LL. B. Course. Besides, the Department imparts 2 Years LL. M. Course as well as Ph. D. Programme. The Department also provides Post-Doctoral research (L.L.D.) facilities in appropriate cases.