Dancing has been an integral part of Indian culture with many well-known types of dances originating in the various states of the nations, both classical Indian dances as well as Indian folk dance. Among the most popular styles of classical dance, seen on stage, are Bharatnatyam of Tamil Nadu, Odissi of Orissa, Kathakali of Kerala, Kuchipudi of Andhra Pradesh, Kathak of Lucknow and Jaipur, and Manipuri of Manipur. Other forms of dances may be categorized as semi-classical, folk, drama and martial arts, all equally important parts of the pantheon of dance in India.
Choose your dancing style and find the best dance classes in India.
Why Dancing is Healthy
Dancing not only helps us relax and freely express ourselves, but there are also other proven benefits of constantly engaging with dance - both physical as well as mental.
Dancing is a combination of art and exercise, a bridge between the mind and body. It makes us stronger and sharper.
In other words, dance is a holistic activity that contributes to the wellbeing of mind, body, and soul. Dance makes us aware of our strengths and weaknesses by aligning the three realms of our entity. Here are some concrete examples of how dancing can be really healthy for its practitioners.
It makes you an artist
This is especially true of shy and introverted people who get a platform to channel their emotions. Not only do they learn to dance and get to engage in physical activity, but they also get to showcase their artistic talents.
It acts as a stressbuster
We have all heard of the therapeutic value of music. Dance is a physical interpretation of music, and, hence a great therapy. Dancing can heal as it is an interactive and communicative activity.
Dancing makes us sweat that releases happiness-inducing endorphins into our bloodstream.
It helps in personality development
In a dance class, or in any other dance learning environment, students are encouraged to shed their inhibitions and give wings to their innermost spirit. A dance teacher not only teaches the art of dancing, but he/ she is also tasked with focusing on skill development in students. These skills may include improving confidence, focus, concentration, team spirit, positive thinking, discipline, all-round development, posture, and body language. Discover how you can learn dance in Hyderabad or in Mumbai.
It helps you harness positive energy
Dance experts and professionals always talk about using dance as a medium of physical activity and creativity. In other words, they encourage dance students to channelize their energy in a positive way.
It makes fitness a way of life
Different dance forms help to improve overall fitness, endurance, muscle toning, and strengthening. Dancing is also a way to work out. Ballet, for example, works on inner strength, balance, and posture. Similarly, hip hop dance or b-boying dancing style has exercises that require stronger arms and legs.
Dancing Career Roles
Learning how to dance and enrolling in a dance academy or dance studio in Pune can serve various purposes. For some, dancing is a hobby, while for many others, it is an escape from the mundane and the monotonous way of life. And, for yet others, dancing can be the end goal of their professional aspirations.
Put on your dance shoes to learn some really cool moves in Delhi.
Career Prospects for Professional Dancers in India
- Choreography: Choreography involves the art of dance composition, the grouping of dancers and establishing the dance sequences. Exceptional dancers with the creative bent to interpret music for the express purpose of dancing are desirable in this role. Professional choreographers make a living by working in films, on stage, for television and video music shows.
- Teaching: A dance teacher is required to possess impeccable knowledge and understanding of the practical and theoretical aspects of dance. Dance teachers in India are hired in schools, colleges, universities, dance institutes, private dance teachers, etc.
- Performer: An ideal performing artist must work on making their appearance attractive, along with proper facial expressions, skill to interpret roles and, most importantly, be able to hold the attention of the audience with their stage presence. A professional artist can join a dance troupe or apply for the role of a dance coach.
For the best dance classes in Pune, check out these great options. No matter what your particular goals are for wanting to learn how to dance, whichever genre of dance you are seeking - Zumba classes, belly dancing, jazz, Bollywood style, disco-funk, Indian classical, folk dances, Latin dance, ballroom dance or any other, sign up at any of these certified dance classes.
Art 4 Fun
Art4Fun Recreation Hub is a full-fledged center for recreational activities including dance, music, fitness, and creativity. They encourage their patrons, kids and elders alike to break out of their routine and indulge in self-creation. Dance courses at the Center include:
- Western Dance: The course incorporates elements of many different dancing styles, typically performed to country-western music, and stylistically associated with American country and/or western traditions.
- Hip-hop: This includes street dance styles that are performed to hip-hop music, as part of the hip-hop culture. The wide array of styles in this genre are breaking, locking, and popping. It is a very energetic form of dancing.
- Contemporary Dance Forms: This is a fusion of several dance genres including modern, jazz, lyrical and classical ballet. The expressive recitals usually combine the mind and the body through fluid dance movements.
Kolkata offers some of the best dance courses in the country.
Zumba Fitness Classes
Zumba involves dance and aerobic movements performed to energetic music. Dance styles included in this program include hip-hop soca, samba, salsa, merengue, and mambo, along with squats and lunges. There are two programs on offer at the Center:
- Zumba® Kids designed for kids aged seven years or older. The course includes steps, add games, activities, and jam sessions.
- Zumba® Fitness: This is a combination course of low-intensity and high-intensity moves that make up a sort of 'dance fitness party'.
Indian Tribal School
The school is essentially the Tribal Fusion Belly Dance Company established in 2013. Offering the finest belly dance classes in Pune, the courses on offer at the School are a fusion of oriental belly dance with other styles of belly dance, with a distinctly Indian touch.
Apart from belly dance, the school also teaches American trival style of dancing.
The School aims to encourage greater male participation in this dance form. Since its inception, the School has successfully trained and guided students on how to become a professional belly dancer. Learning dancing here is not restricted to just the techniques of dancing, but to obtain deeper knowledge about the culture and origins of belly dancing.
Courses on Offer
- Beginners Level: Batches both on weekdays as well as on weekends; fees: INR 2500/month.
- Improvers Level: Monthly fee: INR 2500; course duration: 3 months
- Advance Level: Monthly fee: INR 2500; course duration: 6 months
- Teacher Training: This exclusive program is meant for the students of the School who have completed Probation Certification.
The Pune initiative of the hugely successful Shiamak International Pvt. Ltd., the dance classes at the academy are conducted students from ages four to eighty-four. Handpicked faculty conduct classes that give students an opportunity to learn dance, express themselves creatively and perform on stage.
Dance Programs on Offer Pune
- One Year Dance Certification Program: This full-time dance training course focuses on technique, training, and knowledge across ten dance styles, with specialized training in the renowned Shiamak Style of Contemporary.
- Half-yearly Program: Designed for dance enthusiasts who are also interested in expanding their knowledge horizons in the domain of performing arts. The program aims at holistic learning that encourages passionate dancers to take up a career in dancing.
- One Year Dance Certification Program for Juniors: This is designed for children aged between seven and fourteen.
- Shiamak Dance Education: Essentially, this specially designed program uses techniques such as jazz, ballet exercises, yoga, dance therapy, theatre arts, etc to impart students with the fundamentals of dance expression, knowledge, and creativity.
Find dance classes in Chennai.
Art Sphere is basically a multi-utility arts venue that promotes participation in, and engagement with performing arts. The initiative believes in the therapeutic and spiritual values inherent in artistic activities.
The venue is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities, an international sprung dance floor, professional sound and light system and a projector.
- Bharatnatyam - Instructor: Rama Kuknur
- Kathak - Instructors: Bhakti, Neha, Sharvari & Aishwariya
- Belly dance - Instructor: Pooja Wadke
- Ballet -Instructors of Pamtoes Academy
- Bollywood for Women - Instructor: Aarohi Doshi
Looking for Indian classical dance courses in Bangalore? Check out these great names in the world of dance training in the Garden City.
Art Sphere offers a wide range of creative and curative activities for people of all ages. The venue can be hired for private and corporate dance performances, art exhibitions, workshops, film screenings, rehearsals, etc.