Dance is a form of human expression that opens our minds and souls to new perspectives around us. Dance can break barriers and act as a healer when all other forms of human communication have broken down. Have you ever seen a person dancing who didn't look happy doing it?
Dance helps to convey ideas and emotions that are difficult to put down in words but can only be felt through movements and gestures.
Do you want to be introduced to the magical world of dancing where everyone is an equal and your innermost feelings can be conveyed without the fear of being judged? Then, you have come to the right place!
Health Benefits of Dance
- Beats Depression: The next time you feel the blues, just get grooving to your favorite tune!
- Acts as a Stressbuster: There are proven scientific research behind this claim!
- Improves Flexibility: Dance moves – all the stretching and various body movements do help.
- Boosts Memory: The scientific explanation for this - aerobic exercise can reverse volume loss in the hippocampus, the part of the brain that controls memory.
- Improves Heart Health: Dancing reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Burns Calories: Dancing is a great way to shed extra calories if you are not one for the gym!
- Balances Better: As dancing requires good posture, along with body movements, it naturally helps to keep our body balance.
- Helps You Socialize: How many friends have you at dance class today?
- Builds Confidence: Dancing makes us comfortable with ourselves - body and mind. And, dancing in front of a room full of people boosts our confidence.
How to Start Dancing
Before you get down to the business of learning how to dance, take your time to learn a bit about the various dance forms out there (ballet, breakdance, lion dance, tap dance, kabuki, salsa, waltz, belly dancing, swing, aerial dance, tango, fandango, cancan, Latin dance, Iranian dance, Indian classical dance such as Bharatnatyam, Kathak, Kathakali, Odissi, folk dance, disco, etc.) and what each conveys.
Find dance classes in Delhi.
Once you have done that, you can either choose to become your own dance teacher or get yourself the services and expertise of a professional dance trainer. To get started though, here are some basic recommendations to beginners.
- Bob your head to the rhythm.
- Shift your weight from one foot to another.
- Move your feet to the beat.
- Add some hip action.
- Incorporate some arm movements.
- Find your own style.
Dancing Your Way to a Healthy and Happy Life in Hyderabad
Hyderabad, the capital of the Indian state of Telangana, is home to the popular Indian classical dance form Kuchipudi. It is not difficult to find a quality dance tutor in the city, as per your specific dance learning goals in the locality that is most convenient for you. You can also enroll in a dance academy of dancing studios that offer multiple dance courses at the same time.
Chandu's Wow Dance Studio
This studio is the perfect answer for those looking for Zumba dance classes near me. The Studio conducts power-packed classes which are also extremely enjoyable for the learners! Professional dance artists and teachers teach various dance styles such as Bollywood dance, hip-hop, and freestyle dance. Classes are scheduled from Monday to Friday and costs approximately INR 2500/ month. So, if you are someone over the age of four, register here!
Find dance classes in Chennai.
Rhythmzz Academy of Dance
Rhythmzz envisions the message of dance as a universal way of expressing oneself. Established in 2010, the Academy endeavors to provide an opportunity for aspiring dancers to understand and perform a dance. The Academy was granted accreditation by the IAO (International Accreditation Organization), in the year 2014.
- Choreographing corporate dance performances.
- Own syllabus for dance.
- Conduct of International Dance Workshops.
- Designing specialty courses for schools called PDC (Professional Dance Course) which is a specially designed program that forms a part of the school’s regular curriculum.
- Classes focused on improving fitness levels, confidence, concentration, team spirit, positive thinking, discipline, all-round development, posture, and body language through various dance styles such as contemporary, Hip Hop, Locking, Bollywood, Dance exercises, acrobatic techniques, and Kalari.
- Emphasis on the development of psychological health and maturity through dance.
- Associated with schools like Army Public school Bolarum, Children House School, Bhavans, Indus Universal school Hyderabad, Oakridge International school Gachibowli.
Dancepiration- Certificate Course for Kids
This is a value-added course aimed at creating a base for young dancers and guiding them on how to make dance a sustainable career option. It is a highly professional program meant for children between 6 and 13 years of age.
Find the grooviest dance classes in Pune.
Saad Studio (Dance Music and Fitness Studio) was established with the aim of sharpening the skills already present in young dancers. The Studio also provides individual attention to aspiring artists in order to bring out the best in their potential. Specialized group lessons are taught by expert dance teachers in the following dance forms:
- Hip Hop
- Ballroom & Latin
- Modern Dance Workout
Shri Thyagaraja Government College of Music and Dance
The college, established to preserve and propagate Indian music and dance, including both Karnatic and Hindustani music, and dance forms like Kathak, Bharatnatyam, Kuchipudi, and Perini, is one of the oldest institutions founded in 1952. The college offers both certificate courses as well as diploma courses in the following forms of Indian classical dance.
Traditionally, Bharatanatyam has been performed exclusively by women, expressing religious and spiritual ideas, rooted in the Hindu pantheon of beliefs, particularly Shaivism, Vaishnavism, and Shaktism. The dance style itself involves spectacular footwork, a sophisticated vocabulary of sign language based on gestures of hands, eyes and face muscles. The dance is accompanied by music and a singer, and typically her guru is present as the director and conductor of the performance.
Kolkata offers some of the best dance courses in the country.
The origin of Kathak is attributed to Kathakars or storytellers of ancient times. The name is derived from the Sanskrit word Katha which means "story." Kathak is found in three distinct forms, named after the cities where the Kathak dance tradition evolved – Jaipur, Banaras, and Lucknow. Kathak dancers can be distinguished from their foot movements, adorned with small bells or ghungroo.
Perin Shivatandavam (Perini Śivatandavam) or Perini Thandavam is an ancient Indian dance form which is witnessing a gradual revival in recent times. It is believed to invoke 'Prerana' (inspiration) and is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
Kuchipudi originated in the Krishna district of the erstwhile undivided state of Andhra Pradesh. It is based in Sanskrit Natya Shastras and is performed in the dance drama or dance theater style. Like every other Indian classical dance style, Kuchipudi also has links to temples and spiritual beliefs.
Steps Dance Studio
STEPS Dance Studio, in collaboration with organizations such as the New York-based Human Collective, the U.S Consulate, British Council, Alliance Francaise, Government of Telangana, and Government of India, strives to give creativity and talent a global platform to flourish.
See how you can start taking a dance class here.
The Studio offers courses in the following types of dance by professional choreographers:
- Choreography for Performance
- Contemporary Dance
- Corporate Dance Classes
- Private Dance Classes
- Wedding Dance
- Summer Dance Program
- Dance Outreach Program
Certification Program in Dance
The program can be availed by anyone above the age of 10 years. The class timings are extremely flexible with options of turning up twice/ four times a week or over the weekends only.
Dance Forms on Offer
These are the various forms of dance one can sign up to learn at this dancing school:
- Kids fun dance
- Jazz ballet
- Ballroom dancing
Choose your dancing style and find the best dance classes in India.
Online Dance Classes and Dance Video Tutorials
Learning how to dance from your own home can be the perfect solution for the socially awkward dance enthusiasts who are too shy to go out there and learn to dance in a group. There are many online dance tutorials available for free on search engines such as YouTube. These are carefully curated by dance instructors for beginners, intermediate as well as advanced dance lessons. Pick your style and hit the dance floor!
Before you start, we recommend you keep the following tips in mind.
- Choose a style and exercise safely.
- Warm-up and stretch before you begin dancing.
- Cool down for approximately 10 minutes once you have finished dancing.
- Practice strength and flexibility exercises to improve your dancing ability.
Learning to dance and improve your dance moves and routines can also be done by following dance shows and dance lessons on the television. Improve and perfect your moves by watching yourself dance in the mirror.
Once you feel confident, put on your dancing shoes and enjoy yourself on the dance floor!
The world is a better place with dance in it, especially in the modern age of technology and online interactions. Dance reminds us of the importance of human interactions and the personal sharing of our feelings and emotions.
The platform that connects tutors and students