Law students are trained in the case method, and to the lawyer, everything in life looks like a case - Edward Packard, Jr.
Lawyers have a difficult journey in life. Not because the competition is tough, but more because their profession takes over everything else in life. Those who practice law start their journey with the highest levels of competition and grilling. There is of course the competitive entrance exams to begin with like the CLAT, SLAT, DUET , IPU-CET, and AILET. Then you have to complete your llb and llm courses. Then it continues with preparing for the Bar Council Exam that allows you to work as a legal practitioner in court. And then there are the incessant engagements with clients.
The SLAT exam or the Symbiosis Law Admission Test is conducted every year by the Symbiosis International Deemed University that allows candidates to seek admission into their five-year integrated law courses. There are four law schools under Symbiosis International that take in students to pursue law courses like BA llb or BBA llb. The four schools are SLS (Symbiosis Law School) Pune, SLS Hyderabad, SLS Noida and SLS Nagpur.
Symbiosis International is a prestigious institution and SLS, in particular is a highly sought-after university for law students. So, you can well imagine that the competition is tough and seats few. Hence, you must put your best foot forward to prepare well for the SLAT exam and pass with flying colors.
Eligibility Criteria for SLAT Exam
Like any other law entrance test, the SLAT exam too comes with a set of eligibility criteria that you need to qualify for before you can start the application process and seek admission. There are three main criteria:
- Candidates must have cleared their Class XII board examination from the national or one of the state boards of education.
- Candidates in the General Category should have secures a minimum marks of 45%, while those in the reserved categories a minimum of 40% score in the said exam.
- Students who have taken this 12th board exams and are awaiting results may also fill in the application form, and will be eligible to seek admission basis their marks in the board exam.
Four Law Institutes Under Symbiosis International University
There are a total of 4 law colleges, each known as Symbiosis Law School, that grant admission to candidates securing the qualifying marks in the SLAT exam:
- Symbiosis Law School, Pune: It offers courses in BBA llb and BA llb, with a total of 300 seats.
- Symbiosis Law School, Noida: It offers courses in BBA llb and BA llb with a total of 300 seats.
- Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad: It offers courses in BBA llb and BA llb with a total of 240 seats.
- Symbiosis Law School, Nagpur: It offers courses in BBA llb and BA llb with a total of 240 seats.
The latest advancements in the field of law are taken into account while designing the curriculum in each of these schools. The faculty boasts of highly qualifies and enthusiastic individuals, with a passion to inspire aspiring lawyers succeed as the flagbearers of the legal practice. Each SLS has technology-backed research centers, training and skill development programs, centers of excellence, international centers and moot courts.
Application Process for SLAT
To start off the SLAT application process, you have to visit the official website of www.set-test.org, and follow the step-by-step process, which is quite self-explanatory to register for your exam. For example, if you are registering for SLAT 2020, click on the relevant tab and follow the registration process steps. For your convenience, here is the process break-down:
- Step 1: Log On to The Official Website- Type www.set-test.org on Google and click on Apply Now to get to the application form.
- Step 2: Register- Once on the homepage, click register and start filling out the registration form.
- Step 3: Enter Details- You will be prompted now to enter your personal details and indicate your preferred location for the test center.
- Step 4: Upload Photo- You have to upload a scanned photo pf yourself in jpeg or jpg or png format. The size of the photo should not exceed 100KB.
- Step 5: Complete the Registration- You should save your responses and continue in order to complete your basic registration.
- Step 6: Application Notification- On successful registration, you will receive a unique ID and password on your registered email address. This is very important as these are the login credentials to access the application form.
- Step 7: Application Form- Once you enter the credentials, you will be able to access the SLAT application form.
- Step 8: Fill out the Form- Fill in relevant details as requested in the application form.
- Step 9: Proofread- Before pressing the Submit button, check for errors and ensure there is none.
- Step 10: Payment- Once you're satisfied with the answers, click on Make Payment to choose your preferred mode of online payment of application fees.
For SLAT 2021, the last date to register is June 4, 2021.
SLAT Exam Fees
The registration fee for SLAT 2021 is INR 1,950/-. The amount is non-refundable and the application non-transferrable. Along with this, you also need to pay a registration fee of INR 1,000/- for each program that you seek admission in. You can choose from the following payment methods:
- Indian Bank payment gateway.
- Billdesk payment gateway.
- Demand draft drawn in favor of Symbiosis Test Secretariat, Pune.
SLAT Syllabus- What You Should Prepare For?
On the basis of the SLAT 2020 syllabus, it can be said that SLAT 2021 syllabus will cover similar topics and segments.
This segment covers questions in,
- English grammar and vocabulary.
- Inference-based questions.
- Synonyms and antonyms.
- Foreign words and phrases.
The GK section usually covers topics under current affairs that span,
- UN bodies.
- International and domestic events of significance.
- Eminent personalities.
- Awards and honors in sports, geopolitics, etc.
This is the most important section of the SLAT exam for obvious reasons. It covers concepts, theories, and applications in,
- Indian Constitution.
- Legal terminologies.
- Law of Torts.
- International Law.
- Intellectual Property Rights.
- Corporate Law.
- Criminal Law.
- Vicarious and Strict Liability.
This segment encompasses a wide range of topics like,
- Blood relations.
- Critical reasoning.
This segment will test your expertise in the following areas:
- Mathematical analysis.
- Mental ability.
- Odd-even discretion.
- Logical fallacy.
- Agreement and Disagreement.
- Deductive reasoning.
SLAT Result 2020 - A Sneak Peek
You cannot live without lawyers, and certainly you cannot die without them - Joseph H. Choate
So they say about lawyers. And the SLAT 2020 result will tell you exactly why it is so. Symbiosis International University declared the SLAT result 2020 online on 13th August, 2020. The test itself was conducted online through the Remote Proctored Testing Mode. Candidates can download the result by visiting the official website and logging in using the credentials received during registration. You report card will have important details including your name, roll number, marks in each section, overall score and the final qualifying status.
If you qualify the SLAT exam, you will receive important instructions regarding the next rounds of the admission process including personal interview and the writing ability test.
How to Download the SLAT Result 2020
SLAT 2020 result maybe downloaded from the official website by entering the registration ID and password. Once you have logged in, click on SLAT 2020 result, and the scorecard will be displayed on the screen. Click on Download to save the document on your device. Don't forget to print the document later.
SLAT 2020 Counselling
If you qualify the SLAT exam, you will be invited to the counselling round. The latter include 2 segments-
- Personal interview (PI) round.
- Writing ability test (WAT).
In order to clear these two rounds, you must visit one of the 4 SLS to participate in them. Your final selection for admission into the SLS depends on your cumulative performance in SLAT exam, WAT and PI rounds.
The platform that connects tutors and students