The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is aimed at those students and professionals who want to work, study or migrate to a country where English is the native language, such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, and the USA.
Check out this comprehensive IELTS guide from Superprof India.
In the test, the examinee's ability to listen, read, write and speak is assessed. The IELTS test is graded on a scale of 1-9. IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia, and Cambridge Assessment English.
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the world’s most popular English language test.
The IELTS test assesses students in 4 areas or skills, namely, listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Notably, there is no concept of a pass or fail in the test. Examinees are ranked on a scale from 0 to 9, with 9 being an expert user in English. The required scores to ace the IELTS depend on your reason for taking the test, for example, career, living in a foreign country, studying. For instance, in the UK, for a general Tier 4 Student Visa, a 5.5 is required overall and in each of the 4 areas that you are tested.
Find IELTS classes in New Delhi.
Why IELTS Test is Important
English is the third most spoken language in the world, with 379 million speakers worldwide. A high level of English language skills is a necessary prerequisite for anyone looking to work, live or study in an English-speaking country. Being able to communicate in the native English language is not only critical for bettering job opportunities but also helps immigrants become integrated into the native English community.
The IELTS test covers both American and British English, so no matter what environment you use your English in, the English you learn for your IELTS test will be relevant.
IELTS is globally recognized by more than 11,000 employers, universities, schools, and immigration bodies including 3,400 institutions in the USA. Higher IELTS scores reflect better understanding and ability to communicate in English. Having said that, individual immigration bodies, universities, workplaces, or institutions have specific IELTS score requirements, depending on what you are looking to do in the country.
Check out the best IELTS coaching in Bengaluru.
IELTS Exam Schedule in India
IELTS test dates are offered up to 4 times in a month making a total of 48 fixed test dates in one calendar year. The availability of IELTS dates in India may differ for the Academic and General Training module. While the Academic version is available on all 48 dates, the General Training version is available on 24 dates. For the sake of flexibility and convenience, tests are mostly held on Saturdays and Thursdays.
Listening, reading, writing (LRW) tests take place on the same day while the speaking tests are conducted up to 7 days prior and/or post the test date. It may be possible that the nearest IELTS test location to you may not offer the same date as another IELTS test city location. You can check the IELTS test dates, for your respective location in India, here.
IELTS Preparation Tips
The wisest advice anyone can give you regarding IELTS test preparation is to start well in advance of the scheduled test date, preferably five to six months prior to the test. Practice regularly with mock tests and attempt different types of questions for each of the sections. This will help you grasp the essentials of the test and familiarize you with the test pattern and requirements.
Find the best IELTS preparation classes in Chennai.
IELTS Practice Books
Practice books are one of the most effective ways to prepare for IELTS. These books are designed to give candidates a primary overview of what to prepare. As the test does not follow one fixed syllabus, the candidate must build upon the general pattern and contents of the test themselves. Practice books are also highly beneficial for those who prefer self-study over external coaching. Some of the top practice books for IELTS are:
- IELTS Tutor Kit
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS 1
- The Cambridge IELTS Course Workbook
- Step Up to IELTS Personal Study Book with Answers
- Cambridge Grammar for IELTS Student's Book with Answers and Audio CD
Practice IELTS Reading Sample Tests
The official IELTS website has a repository of IELTS mock tests and sample questions that candidates can use to practice on. Take the practice tests and attempt sample papers regularly to check your progress and develop a firm understanding of the test pattern. This will also act as a confidence-boosting exercise for the candidates.
Enroll in the best IELTS coaching institutes in Kolkata.
IELTS Classes in Mumbai
While there are scores of IELTS training institutes and coaching centers in India's financial capital, Superprof brings to you a list of the top 5 places offering IELTS classes in Mumbai. Check them out here and start your IELTS preparation today!
One of India’s premier coaching and test preparation institutes, Inspirus offers a team of teachers and counsellors with over 20 years of experience in the field of overseas education. Small batch sizes ensure that students are given individual attention.
What's on Offer?
- Personalized study plan: Programs are customized to meet the unique needs of each student.
- Personal counsellor for each student: An expert counsellor is assigned to each student for thorough guidance and exam preparation.
- Small batches = individual attention: Individual attention is guaranteed to all students.
- Testing and analysis: 'Full-length Tests’ are held at the center. These are analyzed by a dedicated counsellor for each student. On the basis of this assessment, a student’s progress is charted and corrective measures are adopted for performance improvement.
Grad-Dreams Education Consulting is a leading global education and career services company that has been assisting students, for over 18 years, in their pursuit of quality overseas education.
Check out IELTS training programs in Pune.
- Intensive practice and comprehensive content on all 4 IELTS skills: Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking
- 12:1 student ratio ensures better individual attention to every student
- Thorough insight into the pattern and question types to improve scores in all sections
- Focus on improving grammar and vocabulary
- A different skill and a new section covered in every lesson
- 1-on-1 discussion with the faculty
- 3 hours’ homework after every lecture to ensure continuous and consistent efforts from the student
Classroom Training Schedule
- Duration: 5 weeks
- Total Lectures: 15 - 20
- Duration of every lecture: 2 - 3 hours
- Total hours spent on classroom training: 30 hours
Practice Test Schedule
- Number of practice tests: 4
- Duration of every test: 3 hours
- Total hours of practice test: 12 hours
Prepare for the IELTS test in Hyderabad.
Excel Academy helps students cover each of the 4 areas that are tested in the IELTS exam, namely reading, writing, listening, and communication. With Excel Academy, students develop the confidence to use the English language effectively. Find Excel Academy classes in Malad, Andheri, and other areas in Mumbai.
What's on Offer?
- Highest 7 Band Achievers: Many universities require an IELTS score of 6.0-6.5 for undergraduate courses, and 6.5–7.0 for postgraduate courses. Excel instructors help students to achieve this band score and more.
- Certified Trainers: All IELTS coaches at Excel Academy are British Council Certified Trainers.
- Unique Test Series: The Academy conducts a unique test series for its students to maximize their scores by improving their skills in reading, speaking, and active listening.
- IELTS Registration Center: Besides being an Authorized IELTS Registration Center, the Academy has been a recipient of various awards in the field of IELTS training.
Let's Talk offers a one-stop solution for IELTS preparation as it is a registered British council enrollment center, apart from offering training courses for IELTS hopefuls. The IELTS examinations registrations are done in-house at the Let's Talk Center. IELTS coaching at Let's Talk is designed to give students in-depth and careful preparation for all aspects of IELTS.
Check out these preparation tips for the IELTS test in Lucknow.
Unique 3-Step IELTS Training
An established player in the field of IELTS training, the Let's Talk team follows a unique 3-step system to ensure effective and efficient learning. Historically, this 3-step program has helped IELTS candidates identify errors and to improve their skills in all areas. The system also provides a logical and clear way of learning to obtain the best IELTS score/band in the quickest possible time.
- Step 1: Pre-lesson vocabulary: Essential vocabulary that is used in the lesson; students learn the definition and an example sentence, making sure that they are ready to get the most out of the lesson
- Step 2: Complete interactive lessons: Students are guided through every aspect of the IELTS test, from how to handle each question type to the best strategies to use on test day. All lessons are supported with practice exercises and full feedback and will help candidates build all the skills they need to get their desired IELTS result.
- Step 3: End of lesson tests: Students take a practice test or exercises focussed specifically on the topic they have covered in steps 1 and 2. This is essential to help candidates consolidate their skills and practice using them in an IELTS test environment.
Find IELTS training courses in Madurai.
The Let's Talk IELTS exam preparation course enables you to learn both the Academic Module IELTS preparation course and the General Training IELTS preparation course. Let’s Talk Institute for IELTS coaching and training has an excellent IELTS exam success rate. For optimum results, minimum course duration of 4 weeks is recommended, although shorter is also possible.
Manya Education is one of the most trusted names when it comes to IELTS test preparation. Manya IELTS programs have content designed by IELTS experts. The programs are well-structured, and a tried and tested method for achieving the desired band score in the IELTS exam.
The team of IELTS Master Trainers works to ensure that every student achieves the highest level of exam proficiency possible during the program. The live online IELTS classes in Mumbai offer Manya students maximum flexibility in IELTS preparation.
Find IELTS coaching classes in Nagpur.
Students can choose the IELTS study plan that best suits their learning needs and goals. The Manya IELTS program features comprehensive course materials, original methods of instruction, and the most qualified IELTS trainers.
The platform that connects tutors and students