Founded in 1869, by the German Jesuits, St. Xavier’s College Mumbai is a private roman catholic institute affiliated with the University of Mumbai. It is one of the most profound institutes of learning where many candidates are admitted annually. It remains a dream hub of learning for many. The admission is made based on merit and the entrance exam, depending on which course the candidate is opting for. Usually, the full-time courses are done based on merit and other admission criteria.
St. Xavier’s College Mumbai offers Undergraduate, Post Graduate and Certificate courses. It also offers Diploma programs in many disciplines in Arts, Business and Commerce. The college also provides placement and assists candidates in securing jobs in reputed companies. St. Xavier’s College ranking 2022 are as follows:
- Education World has ranked St. Xavier’s College first among the private autonomous colleges in 2021-2022. This ranking is made a second time constantly.
- St. Xavier’s College ranks under the top 10 colleges for being a highly reputed educational institute. It is in the 8th position by The Weeks for Arts and 12 for Science.
St. Xavier’s College Courses Offered
St. Xavier’s College offers many courses for aspiring candidates, which cover UG, PG, Diploma and Certificate Training. The St. Xavier’s College courses are listed below:
Bachelor of Arts
There are many subjects, including B.A. in Economics and B.A. in Mass Communication. These are degree courses with a duration of 3 years. These degrees are offered at the University of Mumbai.
Bachelor of Commerce
The college offers a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Mumbai. These are degree courses with a duration of 3 years.
Bachelor of Science
Under this section, the courses offered are Bachelor in Information Technology. It is a 3-year degree course at the University of Mumbai.
Masters of Arts
The courses under this section include Masters in Psychology (Lifespan Counseling) and masters in Public Policy. The University of Mumbai offers a full-time degree course. The duration is 2 years.
Masters of Science
The college offers a full-time Master’s Degree in Big Data Analytics, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Physics (Astrophysics), Geology and Life Science. These courses fall under the University of Mumbai. The duration of the courses is 2 years.
The bachelor's in Management Studies is offered as a full-time degree course at the University of Mumbai. The duration of the course is 3 years.
The institute offers a Forensic Science and Criminal Law, Clinical Research and Gemmology diploma. The duration of the courses varies from is 3-month to 1-year.
The college offers postgraduate diplomas in Counseling Psychology, Expressive Arts Therapy and Bioinformatics. The duration of the courses varies between 9 months to 1 year.
The college offers online certification training in Forensic Science, Personal Counseling, and Practical Gem Appreciation and Identification.
St. Xavier’s College Admission
St. Xavier’s College takes admission of candidates o the basis of merit. Each year, after the submission of the application, the college releases its merit list for different courses.
St. Xavier’s College merit list 2022 was released on 14th July (3rd merit list of 2022). The candidates can check the merit list and cutoff based on courses on the official website of St. Xavier’s College. Candidates must check the official website for St. Xavier’s College Admission 2022.
The shortlisted candidates, based on merit, are required to pay the fees for the degree courses to secure the seat. The date for the submission of the fee was 16th July 2022.
Eligibility Criteria for St. Xavier’s College Admission
The basic criteria for admission to St. Xavier’s College depend on the degree course you are applying for.
- For the UG course, the eligibility criteria to take admission include a 10+2 pass certificate from a recognised board or equivalent.
- For PG courses, a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university or equivalent is mandatory. The Bachelor’s degree should be in the same subject or relevant.
- For admission in the BMM course, a 10+2 pass certificate from a recognised board or equivalent in any subject is mandatory. The selection of the candidate is made based on merit and the entrance examination conducted by the college.
St. Xavier’s College Admission Fees
St. Xavier’s College offers comparatively lower course fees for most subjects. You can check St. Xavier’s College admission fees structure below:
- BA and B.Com: The course fees for B.A and B.Com is INR 16,569
- B.Sc: The course fees for B.Sc is around INR 20,507.
- M.A: The course fees for M.A in St. Xavier’s College is INR 74,845 for the first year.
- M.Sc: The course fees for M.Sc. in St. Xavier’s College are INR 15,674 for the first year.
- BMM: The course fee for M.Sc. in St. Xavier’s College is INR 36,009 for the first year.
- BMS: The course fee for M.Sc. in St. Xavier’s College is INR 37,259 for the first year.
- PG Diploma: The total fees for PG Diploma vary from INR 30,000 to INR 2.12 L.
- UG Diploma: The total fees for UG Diploma vary from INR 27,500 to INR 1.22 L.
- Certificate: The total fees for Certificate training varies from INR 11,240 to INR 20,000.
Top Alumnus St. Xavier’s College
St. Xavier’s College is one of the most popular colleges in India. It is known for its world-class faculty, edge-cutting education assistance and amazing faculty encouraging students to spark in their careers. Students witnessed top alumnus St. Xavier’s College at two major events, the celebration of the completion of 140 years and 150 years of pioneering education.
St. Xavier’s College celebrated its 150 years of completion in 2019, which is marked in the history of college events. Many renowned alumni attended the event.
The press conference was led by many prestigious alumni like Anu Aga, Dr Swati Piramal, Asish Bhasin, Josy Paul, Sabbas Joseph, Shaina N.C, Amrita Raichand, Aditya Thakare and many more.
The event recorded the statement of the Director of St. Xavier’s College, Xavier’s Development program, who quoted that the institute is setting the ground to reach a higher bar in pioneering the education sector in the future.
Xavier’s is the special ingredient in all of us. It is what makes us a Xavierite. It’s our X-factor. Xavier’s is in our blood. We are made of Xavier’s. - Josy Paul
Before that, the college celebrated its 140 years of completion in the presence of notable figures and personalities. This event drew to a close with Grand Finale Alumni Dinner. It took place on 3rd January 2010 at the College Heritage Quadrangle.
On this occasion, the college has witnessed several eminent alumni, including Rajdeep Sardesai, Subir Gokarn, Vidya Balan, Dr Milind Kirtane, Soli Sorabjee, JPC Himanshu Kumar, Walter Vieira, Ameen Sayani, Faroukh Sheikh, Lt. Gen. Francis Dias, and many others in different events and respective fields.
Xaviers College Scholarship Program
The scholarship program is offered for BC students under the SC/ST, DT, NT and OBC category. There are two programs offered - scholarship and freeship, which align with the Govt. of India Scholarship or the Govt of Maharashtra Freeship Schemes. These programs are recommended for students with certificates issued by the Maharashtra Govt.
Eligibility for Scholarship/freeship
The eligibility conditions for the scholarship programs include-
Scholarship: SC students with an Annual Family Income (AFI) of less than 2 lakh per annum.
Freeship: SC students with an AFI of less than 2 lakh per annum.
How to Avail Scholarship?
The deserving students can take advantage of financial aid offered by the college by the government of India and the government of Maharashtra. There are several necessary documents the candidate must submit to get one of the scholarship programs. The schemes are listed below:
- Government of Scholarship India / Freeship for SC Students
- Government of Scholarship India / Freeship for OBC Students
- Government of Scholarship India / Freeship for VJ/NT Students
- Government of Scholarship India / Freeship for SBC Students
- Government of Scholarship India / Freeship for ST Students
- Government of Scholarship India Minority Scholarship
- Open Merit Scholarship for Junior and Senior College
- PTC Freeship
- STC Freeship
- EBC Freeship
Xavier’s College Placements and Salary Package
St. Xavier’s College conducts placement dive every year. For 2022, the BMS students have been offered a package worth INR 30 lakh per annum. The hiring is done for companies from various industries and sectors. These include banking, marketing, finance, consulting, education, etc. The salary package was increased by 2-4 lakhs this year, which made it more lucrative for aspiring candidates to appear for the placement opportunity offered by the college.
In 2020, around 990 students registered in various courses participated in the placement drive set by the college. The highest CTC offered was 21 LPA, while the average package ranged from 4 to 6 LPA.
The placement report based on the data for 2020 is listed below:
- The highest CTC offered was INR 21 LPA
- The Average CTC offered was INR 6 LPA
- Top recruiters included KPMG, DE Shaw, Deloitte, JP Morgan, PwC, BYJU’s, etc.
Xavier’s College Faculty
St. Xavier’s College operates under the guidance and mentorship of world-class faculty. Dr Rajendra Shinde is the principal of the college. The college has an excellent team of teaching and non-teaching faculty members who assist the students in their respective fields. The details of the faculty can be summed up below-
Faculty Member, Department of Biology
- Ms. Aarti Kulkarni (M.Sc., B.Ed.)
- Ms, Rajnipriya A Sharma (M.Sc., B.Ed.)
- Dr Smita Gaurea (PhD, M.Sc., B.Ed.)
- Ms Shrutika Padnekar (M.Sc., B.Ed.)
Faculty Member, Department of Chemistry
- Mr. Adil M Ghiara (M.Sc., B.Ed.)
- Ms. Vinitha Chonia (M.Sc., B.Ed.)
- Mr. Savio D’Souza (M.Sc., B.Ed, MS - ACIT)
Faculty Member, Department of Geology
- Ms. Vandana Khade (M.Sc., B.Ed.)
Faculty Member, Department of Mathematics
- Ms. Jincy George (M.Sc., B.Ed.)
- Ms. Sandhya M. Gupta (M.Sc., B.Ed. M.Phil, D.C.O)
Faculty Member, Department of Physics
- Mr. Harshvardhan Verma (M.Sc., B.Ed., MS - ACIT)
- Mr. Sanjay Shinde (M.Sc., B.Ed.)
- Ms. Shabnam Shabbir (M.Sc., B.Ed.)
Many students move to Mumbai only to study at St. Xavier’s College Autonomous Mumbai. St. Xavier’s College is on the wishlist for many aspiring candidates, especially for the management courses. However, there is a maximum of 60 seats available for the same. However, all you can do to secure your seat in renowned colleges like St. Xavier’s College is score the highest grades in the last examination.
There is no denying that a good college can set your career, no matter what your previous academic background was. That is why it is highly recommended to take the assistance of private tutors to score good grades in the last board or university examination. Also, you can find many career counsellors and tutors on Superprof who can assist you with the best career advice. Seek their help to get a seat in top colleges in India.
The platform that connects tutors and students