One of India's top 3 engineering colleges is IIT Bombay. It was founded in 1958. IIT Bombay was the very first institution of its sort to be established with outside funding. The institution is acknowledged globally as a pioneer in engineering teaching and research. The institute draws the top students nationwide for its bachelor's, master's, and doctorate programs.
IIT Bombay has earned reputable rankings across all Indian and international platforms. IIT Bombay ranking has been quite impressive throughout its illustrious journey.
- Regarding the Top 100 Engineering Institutes in the country, the most reliable national ranking organization, NIRF 2021, placed IIT Bombay in third place.
- IIT Bombay is the second-best institute in India, coming in at number 172 on the list of QS World University Rankings 2023.
- Additionally, IITB is ranked 37th out of the Top 250 Institutes in the World, leading the QS global rankings nationally.
- After IIT Delhi and IIT Kharagpur, it is ranked third in the nation by the Times Higher Education World University Ranking, and it falls between positions 401 and 500 globally.
- It rose from third to second place in India Today rankings, and it has maintained its second-place position in the WEEK rankings for two years.
IIT Bombay Courses
IIT Bombay is famous for offering multiple courses in more than ten outstanding departments. Some of the most popular IIT Bombay courses include the following subjects are-
- Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics
- Humanities & Social Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Biosciences and Bioengineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Environmental Science and Engineering (ESED)
- Metallurgical Engineering & Materials Science
- Energy Science and Engineering
IIT Bombay courses can be broadly classified into four categories.
- Undergraduate courses
- Postgraduate courses
- Integrate Bachelor’s and Master’s courses
- Doctoral courses
The courses available include several important fields, including:
- Pure Sciences
BTech, BDes, and BS degrees with a four-year duration are among the undergraduate programs offered by the institute. Additionally, the institute offers postgraduate programs with 2-year durations in MTech, MDes, MBA and MSc.
IIT Bombay Placement
IIT Bombay has a staggering placement record. Top recruiters from all over the world visit the IIT Bombay campus to hire the most efficient engineers. Not only engineering but IIT Bombay students are also placed in various other fields. A sector-wise placement report is shared below for your perusal.
- Engineering and Technology Sector: Average Salary - INR 21.54L per year
- Finance Sector: Average Salary - INR 28.4L per year
- IT and Software Sector: Average Salary - INR 27.05L per year
- Consulting Sector: Average Salary - INR 18.02L per year
- Research and Development Sector: Average Salary - INR 25.12L per year
The IIT Bombay final placement report for 2021 has been made public recently. According to the report, 83.58% of students were hired by various national and international companies. Around 1207 candidates were placed successfully. There was an INR 17.91 LPA average CTC offered.
The list of top recruiters will definitely entice you. Let’s have a look at the list of top recruiters.
- Indian Space Research Organization
- Hindustan Unilever
- Tata Consultancy Services
Apart from that, IIT Bombay maintains a steady alumni network in the leading IT and engineering organizations. A list of IIT Bombay alumni networks will help you understand the robust opportunity the institution offers to its students.
- Google - 550
- TCS - 433
- Goldman Sachs - 189
- Microsoft - 518
- McKinsey & Company - 128
- Amazon - 448
- Facebook - 165
- Qualcomm - 261
IIT Bombay Eligibility
Admission to IIT Bombay in 2022 is determined by the results of the national entrance exams. More than 100 courses are available at the undergraduate, graduate, and research levels of the institute. IIT Bombay considers the following results.
- IIT JAM
- JEE Advanced
However, IIT Bombay carries out a personal interview for admissions. Candidates who wish to be considered for admission to the IIT Bombay B.Tech program must show up for the August 28 JEE Advanced 2022 exam. Registration for the exam will start on August 7 and run through August 11.
IIT Bombay Eligibility Criteria for B.Sc
- Candidates must have a 10+2 degree with a minimum of 75% in the final exam to be eligible for admission to the B.Sc. program at IIT Bombay.
IIT Bombay Eligibility Criteria for M.Sc
- Candidates of the General category must score 55% marks in the B.Sc final.
- Candidates of the SC/ ST/ PWD candidates must score 45% marks in the B.Sc final.
IIT Bombay Eligibility Criteria for B.Tech
- Candidates applying for B.Tech at IIT Bombay must be 17 years old.
- Candidates must have finished 10+2 and have a JEE score within the institute's cut-off levels in order to be considered for the IIT Bombay B.Tech and Integrated B.Tech programs.
IIT Bombay Eligibility Criteria for M.Tech
- Candidates applying for M.Tech at IIT Bombay must have completed a degree in a field regarded as equivalent to B.Tech or B.E., such as B.Tech, B.E., B.Sc. (engineering), M.Sc., MBBS, M.C.A., B.Pharm, M.Pharm, or BDS.
- General category students must score 60% marks and SC/ ST/ PWD candidates must score 55% marks in the previous exam's final.
Apart from these courses, other popular IIT Bombay courses have their own eligibility criteria. Please visit the IIT Bombay official website for the latest department-wise cut-off marks and eligibility criteria.
IIT Bombay Scholarships
IIT Bombay provides a range of financial aid and scholarships to minimize the financial load on students. These scholarships are given out through government, private, and institute-provided programs based on merit and need. Below are a few of the well-known IIT Bombay scholarships.
Given to undergraduate students participating in undergraduate and dual degree programs, named scholarships are offered by alumni and well-wishers of IIT Bombay. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of merit, which includes factors like JEE/UCEED rank and annual gross income of less than 5 lakhs.
Institute Merit-cum-Means Scholarships
These scholarships are given to undergraduate students whose parents' combined annual income is less than 5 lakhs, up to a maximum of 25% of the approved intake. Under this program, students are not required to pay tuition and are given scholarships worth up to INR 40,000 annually. In addition, female students can apply for a women's merit prize worth INR 10,000.
Only students enrolled in the B.S, B.Tech, B.Des, or Integrate Degree programs at IIT Bombay who are economically disadvantaged are eligible for fee remission. Students who qualify and have a gross annual income of less than INR 1 lakh are given a full fee waiver. Additionally, students with gross annual incomes between INR 1 and INR 5 lakhs are eligible for 2/3 of the fee waiver.
All SC/ST students whose parents have an average earning of less than 5 lakhs per annum are eligible to take advantage of the free messing facilities. The following amenities are provided to undergraduate students:
- Exempting students from paying tuition fees
- Free accommodation with no charge for hotel rooms
- A 500 INR pocket allowance per month
- A 10,000 INR women's merit scholarship
Top Alumnus of IIT Bombay
IIT Bombay is proud to have presented the country with the brightest personalities over the years. Many of them have gone abroad and made the country proud with their path-breaking research. Top alumni of IIT Bombay include names such as:
- Kailasavadivoo Sivan
- Jairam Ramesh
- Manohar Parrikar
- Vipul Goyal
- Shilpa Ranade
- Pranav Mistry
- Salil Parekh
- Sunita Sarawagi
- Rajnesh Domalpalli
- T. V. Raman
- Nitesh Tiwari
- Sarita Adve
Grab Your Chance at IIT Bombay with Tutors from Superprof
Cracking the entrance exam of IIT is far from being an easy task. Students across the country prepare for the entrance exam and only a few are chosen. Therefore, you can understand the magnitude of competition for a seat at IIT Bombay. To ensure you get to grab a seat at one of the top 3 engineering colleges in India, you must seek guidance from veteran tutors.
- Preparation of IIT has various key points. You have to be methodical, and above all, you must have a clear idea about the exam structure. It is more important to score effectively rather than score voraciously in the IIT entrance exams. You simply have to have a fair idea about the topics to leave and topics to focus on.
- Another significant aspect of IIT entrance exams is the scoring pattern. You should be well-versed with the scoring system of the IIT Bombay admission test. This will help you plan your approach.
These things may look simpler on the surface. However, you must obtain guidance from a professional tutor to crack the exams. Superprof brings you the best tutors in and around your locality who will help you clear IIT admission tests. Your Superprof teacher will guide you through the entire process, from selecting the right course for you to obtaining additional assistance.
In addition to the admission tests, you will need remedial sessions and at-home tutoring to develop the requisite abilities. Superprof can assist you in selecting the best teachers to add excitement to your college coursework.
Superprof offers a simple display that is extremely easy to use and explore. You can get your hands on the treasure trove of the greatest tutors in your area with the ultimate learning solution online portal, Superprof. To learn more about these fascinating features, go to the official Superprof website right now.
The platform that connects tutors and students