Mumbai is the city of dreamers, the city that provides millions. It is called the business capital of India for due reasons. People flock in numbers in Mumbai to struggle and succeed. The allies and bi-lanes of Mumbai have witnessed thousands of such stories, the rise of the determining souls from rags to riches. The splendid avenues and proud skyscrapers make the dreamers believe and keep trying for they are standing with open arms to welcome them.
The city of Mumbai, erstwhile known as Bombay, has been one of the main cities in India. Today, it holds the key to the Indian economy. Bollywood is the very name that draws thousands of dreamers from different parts of the country.
The legacy of Marathi culture, the literary contribution, and numerous plays by renowned Marathi playwrights enriched India for decades.
Among them all, the oldest and the most prestigious is definitely the University of Mumbai. It has a humble beginning along with two other major national universities - the University of Calcutta and the University of Madras. Today the institution has more than 780 Mumbai universities affiliated with it. In this article, you can find details about Mumbai University ranking 2022 and more.
Mumbai University Ranking 2022
Mumbai University has been one of the leading academic institutions in India for years. It has seen many ups and downs in the span of a whopping 150 years. Mumbai University ranking 2022 will shed more light on the current standing of the university by national and international standards.
QS World University ranking: 1001 - 1200
QS WUR by Subject ranking: 351 - 400
QS BRICS ranking: 89
Outlook India - ICARE (India University Rankings): 74
THE (Times Higher Education) World University Ranking: 1001
Times Higher Asia University Rankings: 301 - 500
University of Mumbai
The first and oldest institution in Mumbai is Mumbai University, also referred to as the University of Mumbai. It was established in 1857, the year of the Mutiny (historically known as the Indian Rebellion of 1857). From the era of British Governance to the post-independence phase, it has come a long way. It is now regarded as Mumbai's top educational facility.
The University of Bombay, now known as Mumbai University, is one of India's oldest and most famous universities. London University served as the source of creative inspiration. The university library was constructed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. It is currently a component of Mumbai's Victorian complex, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Mumbai University has two main campuses: the Fort Campus and the Vidyanagari Campus, along with three auxiliary campuses in Thane, Ratnagiri, and Kalyan.
Mumbai University administered the first matriculation test in 1859. Only 22 of the 132 students who showed up for the exam were deemed successful. Their incapacity to perform well in their home tongue was identified as the primary reason for such a massive failure.
Top Alumnus (Prominent Figures) from the University of Mumbai
Mumbai University, being the oldest university in Mumbai has produced quite a number of notable personalities. The students had gone on to shine in various fields such as literature, science, politics, art, entrepreneurship, sports, etc.
Some of the prominent names who have passed from the University of Mumbai are:
- B. R. Ambedkar
- V. R. Savarkar
- Ratan Tata
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Mukesh Ambani
- Anil Ambani
- Lal Krishna Advani
The institution has 56 Departments and 12 specialized Centers. There are many undergraduate degree options available, including B.Sc., B.A., B.Com., B.P.Ed., B.Ed., BFA, BPA, BMM, and BSW. Full-time postgraduate studies are available through the faculty of Science, Arts, Fine Arts, Performing Arts, and Commerce.
Please refer to the following information for various subjects offered in different disciplines.
Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- BA General
- BA in Film, Television, and New Media Production
- BA in foreign languages including Russian, German, Arabic, etc.
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)
- B.Sc. General
- B.Sc. in Home Science
- B.Sc. in Information Technology
- B.Sc. in Computer Science
- B.Sc. in Aviation
- B.Sc. in Avionics
- B.Sc. in Biotechnology
- B.Sc. in Natural Science
- B.Sc. in Mechanics
- B.Sc. in Maritime
- B.Sc. in sport Management
- B.Sc. in Forensic Science
Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)
- B.Com General
- B.Com in Finance and Accounting
- B.Com in Banking and Insurance
Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFS)
- BFS in Painting
- BFS in Sculpture
- BFS in Applied Art
- BFS in Textile Design
- BFS in Metal Work
- BFS in Interior Decoration
- BFS in Ceramics
Bachelor of Performing Arts (BPA)
- BPA in Music
- BPA in Dance
You will come across a variety of specialization courses in M.Tech and M.E. These courses are:
M.E. Specialization Courses
- Electronics and Telecommunication
- Power Electronics and Drives
- Plastic Engineering
- Computer Science
- Instrumentation and Control
Mumbai University is also popular for offering a massive range of postgraduation specialization courses. In each of its streams, you will find numerous exciting courses. Find below the necessary information on postgraduation courses offered by the University of Mumbai.
- MA General
- MA in Entertainment, Media, and Advertising
- MA in Film, Television & New Media Production
- MA in Film Studies
- MA in Electronic Media
- MA in Communication & Journalism
- MA in Numismatics and Archaeology
- MA in Education
- MA in Public Relations
- MA in Sociology
- MA in Public Policy
- MA in Political Science
Master of Science (M.Sc.)
- M.Sc. General
- M.Sc. in Life Science
- M.Sc. in Herbal Science
- M.Sc. in Molecular Biology
- M.Sc. in Biophysics
- M.Sc. in Bioinformatics
- M.Sc. in Biochemistry
- M.Sc. in Biotechnology
- M.Sc. in Bioanalytical
- M.Sc. in Bioanalytical Instrumentation
- M.Sc. in Applied Biology
- M.Sc. in Home Science
- M.Sc. in Sports Nutrition
- M.Sc. in Nutraceuticals
- M.Sc. in Food Processing and Preservation
- M.Sc. in Information Technology
- M.Sc. in Environmental Science
- M.Sc. in Nano-Technology
- M.Sc. in Computer Science
Master in Fine Arts (MFA)
- MFA in History of Arts
- MFA in Painting
- MFA in Sculpture
- MFA in Applied Art
- MFA in Textile Design
- MFA in Ceramic Work
- MFA in Metal Work
- MFA in Interior Decoration
M.Tech specialization courses
- Processing Technology
- Oils, Oleochemicals, and Surfactants Technology
- Polymer Technology and Engineering
- Fibers and Textile
- Intermediates and Dyestuff Technology
- Food Technology and Engineering
- Perfumery and Flavour Technology
- Fermentation Technology
- Paints Technology
- Pharmaceutical and Fine Chemicals Technology
- Bioprocess Technology
ME.E. PTDC specialization courses
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
Other postgraduation courses include:
- MPA (Dance)
- Master in Theatre Arts
Other than these courses, Mumbai University offers a plethora of Ph.D., M.Phil, D.Litt., Diploma, and Certification courses.
Mumbai University Placement
Mumbai University's Central Placement Cell (CPC) hosts seminars, mock interviews, Résumé workshops, lectures, and expert talks to help students get ready for placement. The Central Placement Cell assists aspirants who have registered with them in acquiring jobs, coaching, and social or self-employment opportunities.
To close the gap between learners and the corporate world, the cell puts on a range of cutting-edge events each year, including career fairs, recruitment drives, business fests, and more. Reputable companies visit affiliated universities to interview and hire candidates. The CPC at Mumbai University places about 2000+ students annually.
Some of the most recognizable brands are among the leading MNCs and top companies that frequently visit Mumbai University for recruitment. Below is a short list of potential recruiters.
- Tata Consultancy Services
- JP Morgan Chase & Co
- Morgan Stanley
- HDFC Bank
- Axis Bank
- LTI- Larsen & Toubro Infotech
Mumbai University Eligibility
Mumbai University makes an ongoing effort to live up to the reputation it has built over the past 150 years. As a result, you can encounter some eligibility requirements that have been established by Mumbai University. For certain programs, different eligibility requirements apply. The qualifying requirements for Mumbai University eligibility are shared here.
Mumbai University Eligibility Criteria for Graduation Courses
When candidates are shortlisted for Bachelor in Mass Media (BMM) and Bachelor in Science (BMS) programs, the Arts, Commerce, and Science streams will have weights of 50%, 25%, and 25% respectively.
Criteria for BFA entrance include the following:
- Object Drawing (1 Hour) carrying 10 marks
- Memory Drawing (1 Hour) carrying 15 marks
- Designing (1 Hour 30 Minutes) carrying 15 marks
Mumbai University Eligibility Criteria for Postgraduation Courses
- Admission to some MA and M.Sc. specialties is dependent on performance on university-based entrance exams, while admission to others is solely purely on merit
- The university administers specific entrance exams for MMS, LL.M., M.Mus., and Master in Theatre Arts degree admission
- Candidates who have passed the GATE exam may apply to the MFSM program.
Mumbai University Eligibility Criteria for M.Tech Courses
- Holders with relevant B.E./ B.Tech degrees may apply for admission to the M.E./ M.Tech program.
- At least 50% of the required marks were obtained in the qualifying exam.
Mumbai University Eligibility Criteria for M.Phil, Ph.D. & D.Sc
- A valid PET score from Mumbai University is required for admission to the Ph.D. program, which is then followed by an interview.
- Every year, PET for Ph.D. candidates is offered in two sessions, from January to February and July to August.
- Candidates who have completed the GATE, NET, SET, CSIR, ICAR, or JRF programs may also apply.
- Candidates for the M.Phil. program must succeed in both the entrance exam and the aptitude test.
University of Mumbai Admission
For University of Mumbai admission to various programs for the academic year 2022–2023, students can follow the instructions below.
- The candidates must go to Mumbai University's official website and select the "Admission 2022" link.
- To receive a 16-digit enrollment or PRN number for the New Admission at Mumbai University, a candidate must complete their Pre-Admission online registration 2022–23.
- To fill out the online application form, log in to the application portal using your registered username and password.
- The application form doesn't need to be downloaded, and candidates can begin filling it out as soon as their registration is approved.
- Now accurately and completely fill out the online application form with all the required information, including a valid/working email address, a working phone number, other personal information, educational qualifications, merits/marks, family information, caste category, etc.
- Upload the necessary files in the online application form following the relevant procedures.
- Pay the bare minimum application fee of INR 1000 (INR 500 for reserved category) using online payment methods like net banking and credit/debit cards.
- Finally, applicants must print a copy of the completed application for their records.
What is the Fee Structure at Mumbai University?
If you are looking for the answer to ‘what is the fee structure at Mumbai University’, you have come to the right page. Here we have a detailed course-wise fee structure of Mumbai University for your reference. Please refer to the following discussion for a better understanding of ‘what is the fee structure at Mumbai University’.
- Diploma 1st Year - INR 44,900
- PG Diploma Total - INR 8,000
- MA 1st Year - INR 34,400
- M.Sc. 1st Year - INR 11,400
- Ph.D. 1st Year - INR 21,800
- M.Phil. Total - INR 16,500
- Certification Course Total - INR 5,000
Get Ready for Mumbai University Entrance Exams
You ought to be mindful that you will be up against thousands of other applicants if you want to join the University of Mumbai. Although it might seem discouraging, Superprof has the most thrilling news of the day for you! You may now get in touch with the best teachers in and around your neighborhood who can help you get ready for the admission exams.
Superprof tutors will walk you through the overall process, from choosing the best course for you to getting further help. To grasp the skills necessary, you will also require remedial lessons and home tutoring supplementary to the admission tests. Superprof can help you choose the top tutors to make your college study exciting.
Superprof has a simple and user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate. You can now lay your hand on the treasure trove of the best tutors in your locality without worrying much about the process. Visit Superprof's official website today to know more about these exciting features.
The platform that connects tutors and students