Your destination is your reward for safe driving - Anonymous
Lucknow is the capital of the state of Uttar Pradesh. It has always been a multicultural city since the time of the Nawabs and that has inevitably attracted a lot of people from outside the region to come and settle down in the city. This has resulted in numerous development initiatives, but some of the older parts of the city remain a challenge to driving in Lucknow. There are, of course, numerous driving instructors who offer lessons to help you navigate the narrow alleys of the old city as well as learn about negotiating the freeways.
A driving school should not be approached as just a means to pass your driving license test. Rather, you should enroll in a driving course so you could become a safe and responsible driver. A good driving instructor will not only teach you how to drive but also focus on solidifying your base as a driver, teach the intricacies of a driving manual, and also make you aware of driving etiquettes.
Before everything else that you will learn in a driving class, take a look at the basics of traffic laws and road conditions for driving in Lucknow.
Traffic Conditions in Lucknow - Causes & Solutions
Most driver training courses come with lessons in road conditions and traffic rules for you to be more aware while driving your car or bike. In Lucknow too, several studies have been conducted to demystify the causes behind traffic congestion in the city and to provide possible solutions.
Potential Reasons for Traffic Congestion in Lucknow
Most studies point to the following causes for long traffic queues in Lucknow:
- Improper or ill-maintained traffic lights and signals even at crucial intersections.
- Little or now respect for traffic rules.
- Rampant jumping of traffic lights.
- Inadequate traffic management.
- Lack of professional driving lessons leading to ill-behaved and rash drivers.
- Lack of transport infrastructure like proper and dedicated parking spaces.
- Illegal and unauthorized setting up of stalls on the roads, constricting traffic even further.
- Very little attention paid to pedestrian safety.
- Zebra crossings or traffic lanes are not clearly defined in most areas.
- Lack of proper training to the traffic guard or traffic management officials.
Possible Solutions to Improve Traffic Management
The following steps may be adopted to take care of some of above-mentioned issues:
- Strict penalties for those who park illegally.
- More efficient driving lessons and instructors for newbies.
- Stricter monitoring of traffic flow.
- Stricter penalties for rash driving.
- Mandatory closure of illegally set up shops on the road.
- Installation and proper maintenance of traffic lights.
- Better driving courses to make it fairer to pass the driving license test.
- Better training and instructors for the traffic police.
How to Obtain A Learner's License in Lucknow?
A lot of people make the common mistake of thinking that going to a driving school is a means to get your permanent driving license. Wrong. You need a learner's license first in order to take up your first driving lesson. Even if you have your driving instructor by your side, you still need this learner's license in order to be behind the steering wheel.
Check Your Eligibility for A Learner's License in Lucknow
You can easily obtain a learner's license from any of the 99 RTOs in Lucknow, if you fulfill the applicable eligibility criteria:
- To drive non-geared motorcycles of up to 50 CC, you must be at least 16 years old or 18 years for geared bikes.
- If you are below 18, you have to submit a consent from your parent or local guardian.
- To drive a bus, taxi, or auto, you need to be at least 20 years old.
- You should have training and experience of at least 1 year to drive an LMV (Light Motor Vehicle).
Process to Apply for A Learner's License in Lucknow
- Visit the official RTO Lucknow website and click on "Get New Learner's License Appointment".
- Fill the form with the required details, print and submit it at the nearest RTO.
- If you are submitting the form online, you can also select the time slot for your preliminary theory test.
- Make the payment for the application fees through net banking.
- Visit the nearest RTO along with the Form 2 and the application receipt for your test on the allotted date.
- You would also need to important documents like age and address proofs at the time of the test for verification.
- Once verified, you can take the test.
- If you pass the theory test, you will be issues a learner's license to get into a driving school.
This is valid for 6 months, post which you will have to apply for a permanent driving license (DL). While looking for a driving school near me, check if they provide assistance with the DL test.
Important Documents Required
You will need to have the following documents ready while applying for a learner's license:
- Form 2 or the main application form.
- Form 1A or the medical certificate declaring you are fit to drive a car or ride a bike.
- Form 1 or self-declaration of physical fitness.
- Application fees payment receipt.
- 3 passport sized photographs.
- Address proof - Aadhar/Voter ID/LIC policy/Passport.
- Age proof - SSC certificate/birth certificate/Voter ID.
How to Obtain A Permanent License in Lucknow?
You can now apply for a driving license online or offline, as per your convenience.
Offline Application Process for Obtaining A DL in Lucknow
Follow these simple steps to get a license for driving in Lucknow -
- Visit your nearest RTO branch.
- Fill the application form.
- Attach the required documents and proofs.
- Pay the application fees.
- Obtain a time slot for the driving test.
- Appear for the test, pass it and get your DL within 30 days.
Online Application Process for Obtaining A DL in Lucknow
- Log on to the official RTO Lucknow website.
- Click on "Driving License related services".
- Select "New Driving License".
- Fill in the application form and hit submit.
- Upload the supporting documents.
- Visit the nearest RTO for purposes of document verification.
- Pay the application fees to book your test slot.
- Take the test on the allotted date.
- If you pass the test, you should receive your DL at your registered address within 30 days.
- You can also collect it from the driving school you have enrolled with.
Required Documents to Apply for A License for Driving in Lucknow
Below is an exhaustive list of documents that you will need to submit at the time of application:
- Age proof - Voter ID/Passport/Birth Certificate/SSC Certificate.
- Address proof - Voter ID/Passport/Aadhaar/LIC Policy.
- Form 4.
- 3 passport sized photographs.
- Application fees payment receipt.
How Good is Driving in Lucknow?
If you put on makeup while driving, you might need makeup to cover the scars - Anonymous
Driving in Lucknow can be an emotional rollercoaster. That's because you will get a mix of great roads and really bad roads in some patches of the city. It really depends on the area you are driving in or the type of vehicle you are in - car or two-wheeler. For example, the suburbs like Gomti Nagar or Indra Nagar have been really well-planned with wide lanes to give you a seamless and hassle-free driving experience. But as you make your way towards Old Lucknow, driving becomes tougher. These areas have been in existence for hundreds of years and the narrow alleys and unruly traffic may become a nightmare for most drivers. Little or no development has happened in these parts by way of creating transport infrastructure.
The other big problem is the nonchalant way of drivers who refuse to obey traffic laws. And there seems to be very little efforts to manage traffic in a more strict manner. The metro construction in the city is also adding to the traffic chaos in the city. In contrast to the newly developed areas which are well-planned, the older parts of the city are really suffering from traffic woes everyday.
Lucknow has also seen a surge in population in recent years which has led to an automatic increase in the number of vehicles plying on the roads daily. But the condition is still not as bad as Mumbai or Bangalore. The physical conditions of the roads in the recently developed trans-Gomti sector are really commendable and similar interventions are sought in the city's ill-developed parts.
At the end of the day, whether it's Lucknow or London, without interventions from the authority, true development is not possible.
The platform that connects tutors and students