Only a few years back, Delhi only had 5 chess academies. However, today the capital has over 50 chess training institutes where children and adults alike learn to make winning moves. Delhi is home to 6 grandmasters and as many international masters. Women’s grand master, Tania Sachdev, is also a native of Delhi.
Learn chess in Mumbai.
The growing popularity of chess in Delhi can be credited to the realization among parents and teachers that chess improves children’s cognitive and academic skills. This has contributed to a growing demand for chess teachers in schools. In the past few years, over 300 school teachers have trained to become chess instructors.
Over 1000 schools in Delhi-NCR have adopted chess as a sport in the past few years .
The All India Chess Federation, the apex body of chess in India, has played an instrumental role in popularizing the game of chess through its ‘Chess in Schools’ program. The program seeks to introduce chess as a teaching activity. Now, about 200 chess coaches are working in schools, academies, and also offering private tuitions and online lessons.
Find chess coaches in Bengaluru.
Private Classes to Learn Chess in Delhi
Delhi now hosts over 100 chess tournaments a year, most of them organized by the growing number of chess academies and chess clubs. The Delhi International Open Grandmasters Chess Tournament is the city's crown jewel in all things chess. The tournament, organized by the Delhi Chess Association, offers total prize money of INR 1.01 crore and is held in January every year. In 2018, it saw the participation of 2,400 players, making it the largest chess tournament in Asia!
Braingames Chess Academy
Pioneers in chess coaching Delhi, this chess training academy takes pride in its world-class chess coaching. Indeed, the list of 40 state chess champions who are alumni of the academy, is a testimony to their excellence in chess training.
Find chess classes in Chennai.
The faculty at the academy includes former state and national champions. The team of coaches is headed and trained by former coaches of the Indian youth chess team and chess coaches awarded by Govt. of India in the field of chess coaching.
Chess Training Program
- Beginner Level: Designed for students who have never played chess before. Students, at this level, learn common terms, movement of chess pieces, chess notation, how to make a move in a tournament, and all the fundamental rules of chess.
- Intermediate Level: Children learn basic opening strategy, pawn structures, common opening traps, and pitfalls, sacrificing material, and tactics for middle game, end game, and classical games.
- Senior Level: This advanced level is designed for students who are willing to compete in a chess tournament. Players are trained in a variety of opening theories, complicated strategies, analysis methods, and tactics in the middle game and advanced end game.
Delhi Chess Academy
The Academy offers well-structured courses in chess in consultation with parents to design a course suitable for children. Based on the discussions with parents, students are assigned a suitable coach. Chess teachers at the Academy have years of experience in them, with some of them being Arjuna awardees and chess grandmasters.
Students, be it in group lessons or individual online classes, are trained and challenged regularly with positions, regular matches, and practice games. The parents are regularly updated about their child's growth and performance. The courses are designed for learning chess across all learning levels. Take your pick:
- Beginners: For students with no experience of playing chess (10 classes/month of 1 hour each) | Monday and Thursday 2:30 pm
- Intermediate: For players determined to obtain a FIDE rating (10 classes/month of 1 hour each) | Wednesday 6:30 and Friday 2:30 pm
- Advanced Beginners: For players with some experience in chess; coaches help students improve their game strategy and tactics, techniques, openings, and so on (10 classes/month of 1 hour each) | Wednesday 2:30 pm and Friday 6:30 pm
- Advanced: For serious, rated players who want to develop their game further and grow their chess skillsets (10 classes/month of 1 hour each) | Saturday and Sunday 2:30 pm
Learn chess in Kolkata.
Genius Chess Academy
Genius Chess Academy is known for its high-quality instruction and professionally run competitions for young chess players of all skill levels. Starting from the basics, the Academy trains and helps beginners gain in-depth knowledge of the game. The chess instructors employ interactive and engaging learning methods such as:
- Memorizing for improved memory
- Frequent testing and evaluation to ensure effective learning
Online Chess classes by FIDE Instructor/AGM Sandeep Chitkara
Chess coaches at the Academy share a virtual chessboard with voice/video chat during online training sessions. The coach teaches openings, middle game, endgame and uses examples from games played by masters based on different themes. A student gets enough time to think and try his/her ideas with the coach.
The best chess lessons must be carefully planned for different areas of the game like opening repertoire, calculation, evaluation of the position, planning, and endings.
Students are also provided with homework materials that help them learn faster. These lessons contain additional examples of the themes or ideas discussed in the online sessions. Student tournament games are analyzed by the coach. Based on this analysis, the coach suggests how to work further to get better results in the tournaments.
Find chess coaches in Pune.
Champions Chess Centre
Champions Chess Centre is affiliated with the Delhi Chess Association. Under the able guidance of Chief Coach, Puneet Jaiswal, and Senior Coach, Rashmi Saini Jaiswal, the Centre prepares students for participation in all sorts of chess tournaments at the national and international levels.
Beginners (course duration 3-4 months)
- Includes lessons on the chessboard, chess pieces, setting up the starting position, movement of chess pieces, value of chess pieces, attack & defense, captures, special moves, chess result, chess notation, check and checkmate, basic rules of chess, how to open the game, checkmate in 1 move, checkmate with queen and rook, etc.
- Fees ₹ 2000/- plus tax per month
- Schedule: Saturday: 09:00am to 10:00am and Sunday: 09:00am to 10:00am
Find online chess classes in Madurai.
Intermediates (course duration 6-9 months)
- Includes lessons on basic chess tactics, basic chess endings, basic chess strategy, basic principles of the game, checkmate in 1 move practice, chess opening introduction, the practice of chess notation, match practice, chess puzzle-solving practice, calculation practice, visualization practice, etc.
- Fees ₹ 2500/- plus tax per month
- Schedule: Tuesday: 4:00pm to 5:30pm/ Wednesday: 4:00pm to 5:30pm/ Saturday: 10:00am to 11:30am/ Sunday: 10:00am to 11:30am (any 2 sessions)
Advance (course duration 18-24months)
- Includes lessons on elements of chess tactics, elements of chess strategy, checkmate in 2 moves, essential chess endings, chess classics, basic level opening preparation, match practice, chess puzzle-solving practice, planning in chess, analysis of the game, etc.
- Fees ₹ 3000/- plus tax per month
- Schedule: Tuesday: 5:30pm to 7:30pm/ Wednesday: 5:30pm to 7:30pm/ Saturday: 11:30am to 1:30pm/ Sunday: 11:30am to 1:30pm (any 2 sessions)
Find online chess classes in Hyderabad.
This course is meant for FIDE-rated players and strong tournament players.
- Includes lessons on chess classics, deep combinations, detailed analysis of the game, strong opening preparation, next level chess tactics, next level chess strategy, next level chess endings, match practice, etc.
- Fees ₹ 3000/- plus tax per month
- Schedule: Saturday: 5:00pm to 8:00pm and Sunday: 2:00pm to 5:00pm
Champions Chess Centre also provides systematic training through its Chess in School program. The chess faculty teaches chess to school students during school hours in adherence to a proper syllabus, including in-school practice tournaments, practice matches, homework lessons, and lecture sessions with study material.
Learn how to become a shatranj ke khiladi in Lucknow.
Royal Chess Academy
At the Academy, chess learning is tailor-made to maximize a student’s learning potential. Students can sign up for group chess classes based on their current level and age. Gradually, they move up the levels as they show they have mastered the current material. There are 5 levels of classes at the Academy starting from the very young age of 3.5 years across 3 types of online chess classes.
- Online Group Session: Ideal private classes to learn chess for elementary to intermediate and advanced levels
- Online Individual Session: Best chess classes online for beginners
- Academy/Club/at-Home Session: The ultimate one-on-one and group chess classes for gaining mastery in chess
Find online chess courses in Nagpur.
Students are assigned weekly homework to reinforce their chess knowledge learned in a class. The latest technical equipment, including smart boards and Chessbase, are used for more effective teaching of chess. The Academy provides a free session for one-on-one interaction with the chess coach. It helps parents and prospective students judge the compatibility between the coach and the student.
The platform that connects tutors and students