The country’s first International Master in chess, Manuel Aaron, grew up in Tamil Nadu. India's first chess grandmaster, Viswanathan Anand, the first female grandmaster Subbaraman Vijayalakshmi, and the first International Arbiter are all from Chennai. Overall, the city of Chennai has produced 12 out of 34 world grandmasters from India. Chess is now an integral part of Chennai's vibrant culture.
The city and its nearby districts remain the hub of the game with many firsts to its credit.
Not surprisingly, there is no dearth of chess coaches and chess instructors who offer private chess coaching as well as online chess training to budding grandmasters. India's Vishwanathan Anand is credited with putting Chennai on the world chess map when he took his first steps towards chess immortality at the Tal Chess Club. So, if you want to learn how to play chess, read on to find the best chess classes in Chennai.
Learn chess in Mumbai.
Little Masters Academy of Chess
Little Masters Academy of Chess, started by Women FIDE Master J.E.Kavitha, is affiliated to Kanchi District Chess Association. Little Masters Academy of Chess understands that each child is unique, and given the right opportunity and encouragement, kids will learn to fight their own battles.
Chess trainers, along with the students, develop an individualized curriculum based on the playing style and learning preferences of the student. Evaluation takes place on a regular basis. Students can decide on the hours of class per week and the chess coaches draw up the training schedule and curriculum accordingly.
Learn chess in Delhi.
Chess in Schools
Find chess coaches in Bengaluru.
VBS Chess Academy
VBS Chess Academy is one of the best chess academies in Tamil Nadu. It was formally launched by International Rated players, N. Venkatraman and T. Sundarrajan, along with Bharathidasan University Chess Champion, R. Balaji. The chess academy, though based in Trichy, has become extremely popular among chess lovers in Chennai through its online chess awareness programs in schools.
Online Chess Course for Beginners
This course is designed for beginners who want to understand the fundamentals of chess. The course content includes:
- The Basic Rules & Concepts of Chess
- Introduction of Basic Strategies
- Mate in one
- How to play games.. a detailed explanation
- Introduction of Basic Openings
- Introduction of Basic Endgames
- Analysis of online games
- Puzzle-solving techniques
Find online chess classes in Hyderabad.
Online Chess Course for Intermediate Players
This online chess course is ideal for late beginner to intermediate chess players. The course helps students understand the fundamentals of chess strategy. The objective of this course is to boost the chess understanding of the players in all the phases of the game. The course content includes:
- Online games preparation and analysis
- Advanced Strategies
- Middle Game Tactics
- Chess Openings…. a detailed Tour
- Opening and Endgame techniques
- Advanced Puzzle-solving Techniques
- Understanding planning and development
Learn chess in Kolkata.
Rapid Chess Academy
Rapid Chess Academy offers the right chess training materials and qualified chess instructors with years of experience in teaching chess to children of various skill levels. The Academy is renowned for:
- Training more than 1000 students every year
- Promoting chess across India by providing franchises at very low costs
- Conducting Chess in School program with a structured syllabus
- Online chess coaching across the globe (UAE, UK, US, Canada, etc.)
- Chess at your home (Chennai)
- Free chess coaching for government school students
- Tournament assistance for corporate companies
- Regular internal tournaments, once in 3 months
Find online chess courses in Nagpur.
Online Chess Training
Online training in chess has many benefits which are not available in regular classroom training. Since online training at the Academy is offered one-to-one, students can customize the training according to their suitability:
- Training content
- Timing (early morning, evening, late night)
- Number of days in a week
- Number of hours per day (30 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours)
- Weekdays or weekends
Learn how to become a shatranj ke khiladi in Lucknow.
The Academy also arranges for chess coaching classes within gated communities across Chennai. The minimum class strength required for a group is 2 kids. Moreover, as part of their Chess in School program, the Academy conducts:
- Daily class during school hours
- After school activity – Weekly 2 classes after school hours
- Demo Classes/Chess Workshops in schools
- Chess awareness program
- Chess tournaments in schools
Sri Raghavendra Chess Academy
An ideal place for professional chess coaching, the Academy offers players to learn the secrets of the mind game. The Academy is ably guided and headed by Sathyan, a National Arbiter. It offers chess coaching in Chennai, including personalized coaching, online classes, group classes, chess in schools, and chess in play schools. The Academy also conducts chess tournaments in schools and colleges across Chennai.
- Individual Coaching: Chess classes for individuals at home or at the Academy (class timings: 5 pm to 8 pm every day)
- Home Coaching: Chess coaching at home for those who feel uncomfortable sitting through a class at the Academy to improve their chess skills
- Play school Coaching: Chess at the grassroots levels through coaching for those kids who like playing games to improve their memory power, and learning abilities
- School Coaching: Effective chess teaching to young students in schools for students to develop valuable critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills that can later be applied to mathematics and science.
Find chess coaches in Pune.
Golden Chess Centre
Golden Chess Centre is an innovative and successful chess tutoring academy that specializes in teaching chess to children and teenagers from the age of 5 to 18, both locally in Chennai and online. The center uses chess as a learning tool to improve students’ problem-solving abilities and critical thinking skills in the areas of logic, pattern recognition, perception, coordination, spatial relations, decision-making, and visualization.
GCC offers affordable options in individualized chess tutoring as well as group chess coaching, with a healthy student-teacher ratio of 6:1 with maximum access to online materials for students whenever they need it. The center follows a trilingual instruction mode in English, Hindi, and Tamil, fully accommodating all students with language disabilities or limited English proficiency. GCC offers package courses for learning chess, both online and offline, for students to explore.
Find online chess classes in Madurai.
Numerous scientific studies have proved that chess can improve the working efficiency of the human brain. It has also been shown to play a positive role in countering the devastating effects of Alzheimer’s disease in one’s old age. In children, chess is known to develop thinking skills and calculation, and cognitive abilities as well as prove to be a healthy source of entertainment. So, what are you waiting for? Reach out to your ideal private teacher to learn chess, today!
The platform that connects tutors and students