Everything is theoretically impossible until it is done. – Robert A. Heinlein
For a new student of biology class 10, the strategies and tactics used to learn other subjects no longer satisfies the requirement for this class. Biology as a subject has so many different important aspects to it, covering all topics related to living organisms including human being and their life processes, energy cycle and changes. It studies plants, human and animals and their food chains. So, in order to successfully understand and participate in the class and make the most of the biology course, here are some tips directly from a biology teacher.
Prior to Class
- Read the chapter and discussion thoroughly before the next class. You can skim through it if you do not have sufficient time but do take a look.
- While reading the chapter, circular or terms, concepts and meanings you do not know to ensure you discuss with the teacher in class.
- In order to understand and memorise important diagrams of varied cell and organism better, use photocopies and try frequent labelling to remember.
During the Lecture
- The most important tip to be ahead in class is to make notes of whatever is discussed in the class. Not word by word but all the important discussions should be jotted down for quick review revisions.
- Do not hesitate to ask questions and start discussions with the teacher and other classmates as this gives better clarity on the subject.
- Avoid getting distracted by the visuals present in the book while the teacher is speaking or explaining as too much information together can result in low overall absorption of information.
During Practical Class
- Practical lab classes are a big part of biology and are also self-driven. Be organised and careful while using the lab equipment and tools to be effective with your experiments.
- In a group experiment, ensure equal division of work so that your peers are learning as well and you are not trying to do too much at one go. This can otherwise lead to inefficient performance.
- Always observe and write down how the teacher is performing the experiment to understand the basic know-how before doing it on your own.
Post Class Completion
- Revision is one of the most important parts of a post-lecture activity. Review notes from the previous class before entering the new session to re-jog your memory and be on track.
- Use additional resources to study like the NCERT class science important questions booklet, NCERT solutions, previous year question paper, etc.
- Encourage your siblings or parents to take a quick assessment through a quiz or test paper to review your understanding of each chapter post-completion.
How Are Biology Classes Different?
Almost all educational boards in India and around the world have the option of choosing which stream the student wants to move forward with. The common streams in India for class 10 students include Science, Arts and Mathematics for NCERT, CBSE and ICSE. However, even the science courses have different subjects like physics, chemistry and biology that are different in nature and here is how they differ.
In a chemistry class, the journey of the teachings extends to topics like metals, non-metals, different chemical reactions and important questions regarding the periodic table to say the least. A chemistry class is more informative and requires high memorisation skills to successfully understand all chemical formulae and put them to practical tests.
Similarly, in physics class, the learnings revolve around understanding different currents and effects of addition, subtraction or mixing of different elements. For instance, understanding the electric current and magnetic effects of electric current of different carbon compounds is a major part of the subject.
For biology classes, however, the game is different. The subject of biology is slightly different from the other sciences as it is more hands-on as far as learning is concerned. All students who are active and participate throughout the biology classes end up learning faster and better. Out of all sciences, biology classes are known to be independent and require base clarity over a complex understanding of topics.
The chapters not only include theoretical information and conceptual detailing but also include various diagrams and experiments that require equal attention. Diagrams hold a high weightage in all biology examinations and so learning how to draw them is a necessity.
Are Online Biology Classes Helpful?
The birth of online classes in India has dated back to 5-6 years ago, with the main intention of providing learning opportunities for people who are already working professionals, homemakers, fashion-driven individuals, or geographically restricted to attend education institutes.
However now, the concept has further taken over the educational sector of the entire country to a great extent. It all started as an experimental adoption of the traditional learning methods to make the overall experience more wholesome and intriguing. But how are online biology classes helping the students?
As opposed to traditional classroom education, with the help of online biology classes students can evidently reduce their overall school tuition costs. At present, because of COVID-19, it is very difficult to manage money while making the best use of your time. So, with online biology classes, you can benefit from increased learning and lower costs.
Self-Paced Learning Opportunity
As opposed to traditional learning methodology, online biology classes are designed in a way that allows each student to learn at their own pace. This is very necessary for today’s generation because the ideology of peer-to-peer competition has made classrooms a warzone altogether.
When you study biology in school, you can only learn it in two different methods that are theoretical memorisation and practical experiments. But, as online biology classes can be taken from any part of the house, teachers tend to experiment with more creative activities to make the overall learning more effective and exciting.
The main advantage of online biology classes is an increased level of convenience and comfort for the students. In a regular classroom, it is mandatory to sit in your designated spot and make notes and copy homework. However, with online biology classes, you have the liberty to sit however and use whatever device or equipment to make notes. This in turn increases the willpower to study.
How To Find Online Biology Tutors?
Just as the popularity of online education is growing, the demand for online tutors is also rapidly increasing all over the world, especially in India today. Surprisingly, the majority of the increasing demand is for class 10 subject tutors like online biology tutors, online physics tutors, mathematics tutors, etc. This year has seen endless cancellations and changing exam schedules for class 10 students.
So, to keep up with the courses and subjects, online tutors seem like a good idea. But how can you find online tutors?
The quickest option is to reach out to your school biology professors to start giving you classes online as online biology tutors. This is a convenient option as once they agree, you can start your classes online and begin learning better. Moreover, they are the same teachers who taught you in the class you will have a level of understanding amongst each other which is necessary for increased learning outcomes.
For class 10 biology tutoring, reaching out to school seniors of class 11 and 12 or college undergraduate students can be a good option. This is because they have the required information about the topics that you might need help within biology. Additionally, as online tutoring and education are growing, they can make little side income while imparting their knowledge, making it a win-win for both.
Given the ease of the internet today, there are multiple different platforms available globally that are designed to connect teachers and students from all over the world for tutoring purposes. One such effective online platform is Superprof. It is basically designed to allow both biology teachers and students to interact and begin online biology classes as per the student requirement and the teachers’ availability. Moreover, the best part is biology tutors from all around the world are available on this platform.
Different Medical Entrance Exams Guidelines 2021
The medical entrance exams guidelines 2021 have been revised, given the outbreak of COVID-19 and the safety precautions required to avoid the same at all cost. These guidelines adhere to both the individual entrance exams rules along the government rules and regulations for the safety of the citizens.
- As the exams are scheduled for offline mode, ensure you have a small sanitiser, double masks and a face shield before you reach the exam centre.
- You need to carry your admit card along with other necessary identification documents to the exam centre for quick verification.
- You are required to go through the NTA 2021 COVID-19 advisory guidelines set by the authority on the day of your scheduled exam, as they are not finalised until the exam date approaches closer.
- Follow the time slot given to you to reach the exam centre to avoid overcrowding.
- All students are required to follow the social distancing rules of the centre and maintain enough distance amongst each other.
Overall, biology is one of the most interesting subjects to explore and as a class 10 student, having additional support from online tuitions, especially during the time of pandemic can come in handy. All we need to do is go on Superprof, find yourself an online biology teacher and start preparing yourself for your in-class biology lectures much in advance.