As a fresher, planning biology lessons can be a little tricky. Science as a subject is very demanding and requires individual attention and lesson planning for courses between physics, chemistry and biology. For any new role in teaching biology between academic professor, tutor, substitute teachers, etc., you require in-depth background knowledge along with a passion to teach biology class 10.
Regardless of the education board in question, the majority of them follow similar course patterns for biology subjects, especially CBSE and ICSE and somewhat GCSE.
The common subject topics in biology for these boards include cell function and structure, evolution, human physiology and anatomy, genetics, biochemistry, etc. In order to successfully plan your biology lessons, you can make use of the below-mentioned tips-
- Plan a timetable according to the different topics to cover to give required individual attention to each. This timetable will further help you in narrowing down the chapter-wise learning objectives.
- Plan and implement interactive learning activities to keep the students engaged and to encourage them to ask important questions and doubts.
- Prepare some qualitative assessments and quizzes to assess individual student progress and understand pain points. For instance, cell division, energy cycle of cells and life processes might be easier for one student and tough for one.
- Ensure sufficient additional resources and options are informed to all students. At present, NCERT solutions for different subjects like maths NCERT, biology class NCERT, etc. are the most popular choice.
- Revise each important lesson before class biology on topics like natural resources, human and plants life processes, etc. as these topics require time to explain.
- Lastly, plan for a memorable closure to each biology lesson with an ample amount of time dedicated to questions and feedback, if any.
Top Skills Of Biology Tutors
The ongoing trend of online education has encouraged many individuals to take up freelance and part-time opportunities in their field of interest. One area which received a massive response was tutoring services. The main responsibility of a biology tutor is to aid the learning process for the students by helping them study post regular off-line classes. However, now the weightage of biology tutors is the same as full-time biology professors. Given this level of acknowledgement and respect, here are a few skills that make a good biology tutor today.
One of the most important skills is having an engaging personality. As a tutor, your job responsibilities would include talking to the students on a one-on-one basis. To successfully encourage participation and undivided attention from the students, constant communication and interesting activities with the students can increase the teaching efficiency overall.
Biology, as a subject, revolves around the deep theoretical understanding of human and cell life processes along with genetic evolution. Now, in order to keep the students intrigued in such topics, planning out creative activities and assessments is a necessary skill for a biology tutor. Especially now, as students are studying from home with numerous possible distractions.
One important aspect of conducting biology lessons as biology tutors is to communicate and build healthy relationships with the students. Additionally, as the classes take place in different places, poor communication can lead to dissatisfaction amongst the students and their parents. This is why having high proficiency in written and spoken the English language is important.
Most times, student-teacher relationships root from daily face to face discussions and this also helps with keeping an eye on the student throughout. However, with online education as the only safe medium right now, monitoring the students is a little difficult. Thus, having high patience will come in handy to remain calm in tough situations.
Types Of Biology Classes
Most subjects of class 10 like mathematics, social studies, literature, etc. are available in different forms for effective learning. Similarly, even sciences have specific types of classes to experiment with and some of these biology classes are as follows-
Everyone throughout their schooling years trusted this model of learning and acquiring knowledge. Classrooms are designed to align the students’ mind with the learning objectives of a particular subject to come together and provide improved results. Offline classes for any subject like biology classes provide the teachers with more room for creativity as practical knowledge can be tested and experimented with only during classroom sessions.
Additionally, the off-line classes are often a contributing factor in helping students become more independent and confident as a result of classmate conversations and playtime. So, if you are looking for full-time job security, applying to different schools for classroom teaching is a good opportunity to explore. Or you can experiment with jobs at tuition centres.
The ease of the internet has been one of the greatest technological advancements introduced worldwide. This adoption of online classes is fairly recent in the educational sector. However, the pace at which it is being added to the daily curriculum for different education boards is almost astonishing.
Further, as compared to off-line classes, securing a part-time or freelance job role as an online biology teacher or tutor is easier. There are so many digital platforms that provide aspiring teachers and tutors with a stage to interact with students and secure online classes successfully.
One such platform is Superprof, which is highly user-friendly and also requires minimal efforts to set up. Now, with more opportunities available for online classes along with potential off-line full-time biology teacher job roles, choosing between online and offline classes is an open-ended debate.
Are Online Biology Lessons Better Than Offline?
As a fresher or a professional biology teacher, choosing between online biology lessons and offline lessons can be a tough decision. As a country, India has ample resources to accommodate off-line lessons for almost the entire population. Yet, the speed at which online education is spreading around the world because of technological advancement, the need of the hour is to evaluate which one is more beneficial.
As far as online biology lessons are concerned, the ease in adaptability and adoption makes it a more productive approach towards effective learning and increased results. Additionally, some of the other key benefits of online lessons are as follows:
- Increases flexibility for both students and teachers/ tutors.
- More convenient for both students and teachers as biology lessons can be conducted from anywhere.
- Helps to develop a sense of responsibility for the students and better time management for the teachers/ tutors.
- Helps students and teachers build a closer relationship.
- Gives the teacher ample time to prepare and assess each student individually.
Moving on to off-line in class biology lessons, they have been a part of the traditional education system since the beginning of time. The level of concentration and dedication is definitely higher as students are under direct teachers supervision. Moreover, some of the key benefits are as follows:
- Encourages collaborative learning.
- Enhances critical thinking ability in students.
- Provides the students with the required space for live discussions.
- Allows better monitoring and control of the students by the teachers.
- Encourages healthy competition in students, thus increasing their overall performance and teacher efficiency.
At present, both online and offline education hold high weightage in the educational system. However, the current ongoing pandemic has forced schools, universities and colleges to shift to online teaching completely. Because of this sudden change and its effective advantages, online biology lessons are a better option to pick, especially in the year 2021.
List Of Medical Entrance Exams In India 2021 After 12th
If you are a 12th grader who is graduating soon and wishes to explore medical education in India, you need to be aware of the different medical entrance exams in India 2021 after 12th. At present, there are approximately 10 different medical entrance exams that are available in the country and are useful for both undergraduate courses and postgraduate courses. The list of these examinations is mentioned below-
For National Level
- The National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test For MBBS Courses
- The Armed Forces Medical College For MBBS Courses In The College Itself
- The All India Institute Of Medical Sciences For AIIMS Medical Institution Owned By The Government
- The Postgraduate Institute Of Medical Education And Research For PG Courses In Medical Field
- The Jawaharlal Institute Of Postgraduate Medical Education And Research For MBBS Courses In JIPMER
For Institutional Level
- CMC Vellore for different UG, PG and certificate courses in the medical field
- MET, an entrance exam for entry to Manipal University
- KIITEE exam for admission in courses like Medical, Dental, etc. all on postgraduate and MBBS level.
- All these institutional level exams along with some national level exams require NEET exam clearance as a base for exam application.
Therefore, there is no dead-end in the field of sciences, especially biology as new variations are added if and when required, changing the course outlook once in a while. If you are passionate about teaching biology and want to explore this field further while preparing for medical entrance examinations, for example, choosing to start biology tuitions is a smart decision. So, go on super prof today and sign up to start exploring.