Biology, meaning the science of all life, is a late notion - Leon Kass
Do you know what makes a subject easy or tough? It is the level of interest that you take in the subject - be it science or English. So, some students may say that biology class 10 is probably the most difficult exam to prepare for, while others in your school may say the same thing about vernacular language or maths. Basically, if you like a subject, you will make things happen to prepare for an exam or to excel at it. Good biology teachers will make you fall in love with the subject and dissuade you from listening to those who say it is difficult. But this won't be to undermine or discount the fact that it is a highly complex subject to study. It will be more to encourage you to find your true calling.
You surely know many people in your life who were scared of biology classes in school and then went to become Ph.D. holders in the subject! Think about it - studying about your own body, the DNA structure, genetics, hereditary, the very basis of life in cell regeneration - how can that be boring? It is probable the other skills you need to be good at biology like drawing or memory that make it appear more difficult than it actually is.
How Can Biology Tuitions Help?
- Biology tuitions can provide solutions not found in NCERT books | Image Source: Colourbox
Across all boards in India - ICSE or CBSE, students seek biology tuitions beyond their school lessons to supplement learning and enhance their understanding of the subject. As such, biology teachers or tutors must have advanced training and a high level of understanding of the subject in order to do justice to the role.
5 Top Qualities in A Biology Tutor
1. Subject Matter Expertise
This is the basic requirement of biology teachers. They need to have at least a bachelor's degree in the subject along with some teaching experience that will help them take the students beyond a particular chapter in the syllabus and into a deep understanding of the concept.
2. Research Background
A sound background in research can help solve a lot of questions in class and provide solutions to students that they can't think of themselves. NCERT emphasizes building an orientation towards research that goes beyond what's written in a science book of CBSE. And this can be unleashed by biology teachers.
3. Pedagogical Expertise
Biology classes can be extremely technical and complex if not taught well. Pedagogy or the art of teaching and managing a class is an extremely important quality to posses in a biology teacher.
4. Positive Attitude
For a good biology teacher, a positive attitude brings a lot of energy to an otherwise complicated class. A teacher must be a learner first before being a good teacher. And this quality is transmitted through positive energy to students in class.
5. Supportive Outlook
Biology class 10 is anyway a scary affair for most students in CBSE or ICSE. A supportive teacher can make all the difference while delivering biology classes.
Are Online Biology Lessons Helpful?
Online biology classes are being hailed as the most efficient to way teach and learn biology in this pandemic-hit world. A chapter from the NCERT book is easily available as an online resource and can also be accessed through online teaching platforms like Superprof.
Benefits of Online Biology Classes
1. Tailormade Solutions
Online biology lessons are mostly personalized depending on the need and pace of the student. Teachers can give focused attention to students, who get to learn from the comfort of their homes. There are many learning apps for biology that actually help deliver tailormade solutions to your questions.
2. Flexible Hours of Teaching
With online biology lessons, you are not mandated to attend classes at fixed hours during the day or as mandated by your school. You can choose your own time slots and depending on the availability of biology teachers, you will be matched at the best time and to the best tutor.
3. Pay For Chosen Services
With online teaching becoming the new normal, the market is very competitive for biology teachers when it comes to deciding their fees. As a student, this is highly advantageous since you get to choose only that teacher that suits your budget and delivers on your learning needs.
What Do You Get to Study in Biology Classes?
Physics, chemistry, or a chapter in biology - no matter what you are learning, the lesson plans have to be engaging enough to generate interest and build understanding. So, what do you learn in biology class 10?
Biology Class 10 Syllabus for CBSE
NCERT lays down the syllabus for CBSE biology class 10. And it constitutes the following topics and sub-topics:
- Life Processes: The sub-topics under this include human life processes, human nutrition & respiration processes, and the processes of transport & excretion in plants and animals.
- Reproduction: This topic includes sexual & asexual reproduction in plants and animals, human reproductive health & family planning, women's health, and safe sex.
- Heredity & Evolution: This is probably the most exciting chapter in the entire syllabus of biology class 10. It includes the intriguing topics of heredity, Mendel's laws of inheritance, and sex determination.
- Environment: The main sub-topics under this head are the ecosystem, environmental challenges, waste production & solutions, ozone depletion, and biodegradable & non-biodegradable substances.
Note that the CBSE syllabus has been upgraded and the NCERT book on solutions has been modified since 2020. So you may want to get rid of old lecture notes inherited from past students or elder siblings.
How to Prepare for Biology Exams in 2021?
The species that survive are usually not the smartest or strongest, but the ones most responsive to change - Charles Darwin
As has been discussed, biology, put simply, is the study of life. Photosynthesis in plants, humans breathing out carbon dioxide, cell regeneration, chemical reactions in the body, food & nutrition, cell regeneration in living organisms - everything is biology. And much more!
Tips to Prepare for Your Biology Class 10 Exam
There are many ways to prepare for an exam. And you will find a lot of good advice too on how to approach an exam. Here are the top 10 tips recommended by Superprof to help ease your exam preparation in 2021.
- Start with understanding the grading system. This will help you break down your own preparation methods and choose which chapter to prioritize and which to not. The CBSE biology class 10 exam paper has a mix of objective type questions of 40 marks and essay type questions of another 40 marks.
- Train your brain to memorize names and terminologies. This is only possible when you are reading each chapter multiple times and revising your notes based on new insights.
- Follow a strict study schedule to ensure you do not leave out a single chapter.
- Focus your energy on the high-scoring sections or chapters.
- Practice drawing diagrams as accurately as possible and in the least possible time.
- Make notes on important topics by using techniques like flash cards.
- Read the NCERT solutions guide from previous years thoroughly.
- Identify trends in exam questions and prepare them well.
- Solve question papers from previous years.
- Take as many mock tests as possible before the final exam.
Sample Questions for Biology Class 10 to Help You Prepare
- Solve the same papers more than once to improve your chances of getting the answers right | Source: Lower Columbia College on Visual Hunt
Preparing for ICSE or CBSE board exams depends a great deal on how much effort you put into practice. Going through previous years' questions will help you get familiarized with the exam pattern. Here are a few standard question types you may face in your biology class 10 exam-
- Hypothesis: Red and green colored seeds are dominant and recessive traits respectively. In which generation out of F1 and F2, will the red seed appear considering both parents are hybrid?
- If the dead remains of A and B, two different species, were buried and only the body of A was found later, what could be the possible reasons for B's missing body?
- If insect X, after death, is buried in regular mud, and insect Y in hot mud, which of the two, according to you, will be preserved better?
- What is DNA copying and what is the exact effect of this on the reproduction process that is not perfectly accurate?
- Name the exact term used by Mendel for genes and where are the latter located?
- What do you mean by a genetic drift? Explain with an example.
- Why doesn't a human offspring have 46 chromosome pairs upon the fusion of two eggs of a male having 23 pairs of chromosomes and a female with the same number of pairs?
- Genes control trait or characteristics. Explain with the help of an example.
- If A shares 10 characteristics with B, and C shares 15 characteristics with D, which of the two pairs will have a closer association and why?
- Explain the uses of fossils.
Find more biology tuition here on Superprof.
The platform that connects tutors and students