As a broad definition of Business English, it can be described as the form English used in business contexts, such as international trade, commerce, finance, insurance, banking, and many office settings. It entails expectations of clarity, particular vocabulary, and grammatical structures. Before we explore the top Business English courses in India, let's understand some of the features of professional business communication.
Features of Business English
Generally speaking, Business English is a form of English especially suited to international trade, commerce, and finance. As such, Business English is typically used in:
- Business meetings
- Sales presentations
- Business negotiations
- Business correspondence
- Business reports
- Executive summaries
Business English is usually viewed as a specialization within teaching and learning English. It forms part of English for Specific Purposes, which is studied by many non-native English speakers who aspire to do business with or work in English-speaking countries. Indeed, there is no globally accepted definition of Business English. However, it can be categorized as:
- Vocabulary: Many of the English words used in business are specialized and would not be understood even by many native English speakers. Part of studying Business English is to study the vocabulary of business, which may itself be further specialized by activity or industry (banking, investment, import-export, oil, motor industry, etc).
- Functional Language: Another aspect of Business English is the study and practice of the language and language skills needed to conduct various typically business functions such as running a meeting, negotiating, or making a presentation in English.
Additionally, there are a few unspoken and unsaid characteristics of Business English which any student of the subject must acquire and master. We discuss 3 of the most important ones here.
Exercise Clarity in Business Writing
When using English in the context of business, it is crucial that the speaker is as clear as possible and leave nothing to interpretation. Unclear business writing or speaking may pose the risk of time wastage and loss of money.
Good written communication in English is made of short, direct sentences that use the most impactful words for your purpose. In other words, say what you mean as simply as possible.
Business English is different from English literature, where a lot is left to the imagination and interpretation of the reader. There is a process to learning to write well using professional English.
Use Short, Direct Vocabulary
Unlike creative writing forms, such as novels or other forms of professional writing like law briefings, that welcome long, sophisticated vocabulary, Business English welcomes writing that is direct and to the point. Ideally, speakers and writers of Business English should avoid:
- Clichés: Sayings that have been used so many times they lose their power
- Proverbs: Sayings with a moral
- Idioms: Culturally-based expressions
- Phrasal verbs: Use a one-word verb when you can
- Long verbs: Use shorter verbs, whenever possible
Use Simple, But Effective Grammar
You will have plenty of opportunities to use complex grammar in academic writing. But, in Business English, good English means the use of simple tenses (past, present, and future simple). Use order words like “first” and “then” to indicate the order of actions, instead of complicated grammatical structures. This ensures that the message is easy to absorb, saving time and money.
Best Business English Courses in India
Advanced & Corporate English (Speaking India)
- Advanced Grammar and vocabulary
- Interview Skills
- Personality Development
- Presentation skills
- Accent Neutralization
- Email Etiquette
- Telephonic Etiquette and
- Writing Skills
Business English Communications Skills Certification (Coursera)
The University of Washington offers this course through Coursera. This specialized course is designed to teach students to communicate effectively in professional contexts. Professionals get to expand their vocabulary, improve their ability to write and speak in both social and professional interactions, and learn terminology and skills that can be applied to business negotiations, telephone conversations, written reports, email, and professional presentations.
The program primarily teaches students to deliver ideas with clarity and the intended impact of that delivery. The key features of the course are:
- The introductory classes provide an overview of the content in this specialization.
- Learn to communicate better professionally through writing, cover the basics, and successful presentation techniques to be able to present the best possible version of ideas.
- Learn language and strategies for successful negotiations culminating in a written announcement for an event.
- Develop a well-organized, persuasive presentation using charts and graphs that sells your city as a venue.
- The capstone project gives opportunities to demonstrate your competence in the learning objectives for this specialization.
- Duration: 7 months, 4 hours per week
Clear online assessments and exams to become a certified user of Business English.
Business English for Non-Native Speakers Hongkong University (Coursera)
Another course offered through Coursera by a leading university (Hong Kong University of Technology), this specialization provides non-native speakers of English an introduction to the methods for developing the necessary language and communication skills for the workplace, doing business, cross-cultural understanding, and business case study analysis.
Students also have the opportunity to integrate and apply these skills in the capstone project by analyzing a current business case study and providing recommendations to a target audience in both presentations and written formats. Course features are:
- Gain professional writing skills as all the topics are elaborately explained from the basics.
- Acquire invaluable skills that can be beneficial for applying to a job profile or starting a freelance business.
- Work on different formats and identify grammatical and punctuation problems in your work.
- Analyze your audience and choose the format apt for the situation.
- Organize ideas and information logically, efficiently, and effectively.
- Duration: 11 months, 4 hours per week
Business English Courses (Udemy)
Udemy offers a number of options for students seeking their first certification in business English or improving their existing skills. With varying levels of difficulty, there is something for individuals of every experience level. These programs emphasize practical techniques and allow students to implement those techniques.
Moreover, there are tutorials on offer, in business English, easy English for meetings, formal email writing, learn essential business words among others. By the end of their chosen lesson, students will have a solid foundation and skills to enhance their resume and put the skills to use in the workplace. Key features are:
- Learn to handle different formats of communication and deliver as per demand.
- The complete set of lectures is broken into appropriate sections which makes it easy for the students to follow.
- Understand and use hundreds of common words and add them to your vocabulary.
- There are assignments and resources which will give you an opportunity to apply the concepts acquired throughout the lectures.
- Lectures + Articles + Downloadable Resource + Coding Exercises + Full lifetime access
- Available at a low price on the e-learning platform Udemy.
- Duration: Self-paced
Business English Courses (Kaplan International English)
With Kaplan International English, students can choose from the English plus professional certificate courses, business supplementary, and intensive options and get started with the class of their choice. The common features of these courses are:
- The classes guide you through the fundamentals and necessary features of the topic thoroughly including the top principles.
- The instructors share advice and best practices based on their experiences.
- Practice for meetings, conference calls, presentations, and job interviews in the English-speaking workplace with specialized writing exercises and in-class roleplays
- Build an international network of contacts, and boost your CV with experience of communicating with people from all over the world.
- Nail the role you want with advice on job-seeking, resume-writing, and interview techniques.
- Duration: Self-paced
Business English Course Online (London School Online)
The prestigious London School offers this online program for students to develop the English language skills needed to communicate effectively in the workplace. The classes are created to instill students with confidence in common business and professional settings. The course features are:
- Take part in meetings and discussions and present confidently in the language.
- Write accurate business correspondence.
- Converse on the telephone with more confidence.
- Negotiate effectively and share your opinions in an organized manner.
- Study on any device at any time as per your schedule.
- Understand your common mistakes with practice and learn to avoid them.
Best Corporate English Classes Near Me
English is now a compulsory language for job eligibility in most multinational companies. English, in India, has long been accepted as the common corporate language to facilitate communication and performance across geographically diverse functions and business verticals. All the best English classes in India, whether online or at an English learning institute, offer corporate English training to students and working professionals.
Business English Communication Training Course and Certification (Prowess Pursuit)
One of the top online courses in Business English, the Business English Communication Training Course and Certification Program from Prowess Pursuit is designed to help professionals develop the necessary English language skills to communicate confidently in an international workplace.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will have marked improvements in their Business English and professional communication skills, from meetings, negotiations, presentations, participation in teleconferences, email and report writing, socializing, and the use of diplomatic language. The experienced trainers on this online learning platform offer interesting and realistic business case studies and practice scenarios for students to develop their language skills.
Each module is a combination of written exercises, presentations, dialogues, and role-plays in realistic business situations. These modules help students practice and improve their business vocabulary and buzzwords, email, memo, and letter writing, negotiating, interviewing, and telephoning in English.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Qualification: Min. 12th pass
- Age: 18+ years
- A computer, or a tablet, or a phone with good speakers or headphones (for clarity in hearing the pronunciations)
- No previous knowledge of English is necessary.
- 3 hours a week to learn and speak English
- Very positive attitude
- Module 1: Developing Leadership Skills
- Module 2: Team Building
- Module 3: Effective Communication in Business Presentation
- Module 4: Decision Making, Motivation & Delegation, Effective Communication in Meetings
- Module 5: Marketing & Advertising
- Module 6: E-Commerce, Viral Marketing & Social Media
- Module 7: Relationship Building & Networking
- Module 8: Recruitment Interviewing
- Module 9: Effective Communication in Selling & Negotiations
- Module 10: Management Styles in International companies
English Training for Corporates (British Council)
The British Council has always been at the forefront of English language learning and training. In the area of Business and Corporate English, the Council offers many scalable and flexible solutions to help aspiring and working professionals grow in their careers. In fact, a number of reasons make the British Council the ideal training organization for students of Business English.
The short, intensive workshops and longer courses provide students with language training related to their job and other workplace skills. The courses are delivered by expert British Council teachers who specialize in teaching business English skills. These courses can be delivered online or face-to-face. Cutting-edge learning products are at the intersection of the ease of online learning and the impact of classroom delivery with the British Council.
This is a course to improve general English, with a combination of live online classes and guided self-study.
Find your ideal learning resources for Business English online.
Professional Skills Workshops
The professional skills workshops focus on improving those soft skills which are essential to any learning and development plan. The Council delivers high-quality professional skills workshops across a number of areas.
This is an online, interactive course, delivered by expert British Council teachers who specialize in online teaching. The course combines online resources with live online classes to offer top-quality learning and help professionals boost their career prospects.
The platform that connects tutors and students