English is the most recognized language in the world. This has also made it the most dominant language in the business world. Professionals with a good knowledge of basic English also need to learn Business English to give themselves the chance to demonstrate a wider professional vocabulary, resulting in new career opportunities.
The dictionary meaning of Business English is the study and practice of composition with emphasis on correctness, propriety, spelling, punctuation, and the forms of business correspondence
But, why should you study Business English, specifically? By studying Business English, students can develop English language skills that are useful in an office or other business environments. Lean Business English in India to understand the communication skills needed in the global workplace and gain the confidence to build strong relationships with your colleagues and clients.
Find Business English Classes Online
Business English Communications Skills Certification (Coursera)
One of the best Business English courses online, this specialized course is offered by the University of Washington through Coursera. Students learn to communicate effectively in professional contexts, expand their business vocabulary, improve their ability to write and speak in both social and professional interactions, and learn terminology and skills that can be applied to business negotiations, telephone conversations, written reports, email, and professional presentations.
The key features of the course are:
- The introductory classes provide an overview of the content in this specialization.
- Learn to communicate better professionally through writing, cover the basics, and successful presentation techniques to be able to present the best possible version of ideas.
- Learn language and strategies for successful negotiations culminating in a written announcement for an event.
- Develop a well-organized, persuasive presentation using charts and graphs that sells your city as a venue.
- The capstone project gives opportunities to demonstrate your competence in the learning objectives for this specialization.
- Duration: 7 months, 4 hours per week
Business English Courses (Kaplan International English)
Kaplan International English offers students the choice of English plus professional certificate courses, business supplementary, and intensive options. The common features of these courses are:
- The classes guide you through the fundamentals and necessary features of the topic thoroughly including the top principles.
- The instructors share advice and best practices based on their experiences.
- Practice for meetings, conference calls, presentations, and job interviews in the English-speaking workplace with specialized writing exercises and in-class roleplays.
- Build an international network of contacts, and boost your CV with experience of communicating with people from all over the world.
- Nail the role you want with advice on job-seeking, resume-writing, and interview techniques.
- Duration: Self-paced
Best Spoken English Classes Near Me
English Training for Corporates (British Council)
The British Council offers many scalable and flexible solutions to help aspiring and working professionals grow in their careers. The short, intensive workshops and longer courses provide students with language training related to their job and other workplace skills.
- myEnglish: Improve general English, with a combination of live online classes and guided self-study.
- Professional Skills Workshops: Improve essential soft skills necessary for any learning and development plan.
- myEnglish Workplace: An online, interactive course, delivered by expert British Council teachers, which combines online resources with live online classes to offer top-quality learning and help professionals boost their career prospects.
Learn Business English Vocabulary
Irrespective of your professional goals, you must strengthen your Business English vocabulary to communicate at an advanced level. Here are a couple of top courses to help you do that! These high-quality courses in Business English are easy for students to sign up for and even easier to follow.
Wall Street English
A well-structured online learning course in Business English, Wall Street English offers a repository of learning materials online. This is ideal for students who prefer learning within the tried-and-tested structure of a traditional language school, but with the flexibility of an online course.
Preply classes offer video chat lessons with native English speakers at the helm. The lessons can be taken anytime, anywhere, and canceled for free if your schedule changes. There are practice exercises for students to work on their own.
Take a Business English Assessment Online
Learning Business English can prove to be challenging if you don't know which level of learning you stand at. Tests and qualifications in Business English, usually available online, can help you make this assessment easily. Here is a list of online certifications you can avail of for such assessments.
Cambridge Business English Qualifications
These in-depth tests are based on authentic situations, helping students test their communication skills in real-life business scenarios. The Speaking Test is taken face to face with expert examiners of Cambridge. Each Cambridge English Qualification helps to build on the skills that students develop at the previous level. The 3 levels of tests are:
- B1 Business Preliminary: Qualification that shows your mastery over the basics of business English
- B2 Business Vantage: Qualification that helps students apply for new jobs, get a promotion, or develop their career
- C1 Business Higher: Qualification that gives students the practical language skills they need to operate confidently at a senior level in global business
Business English Site: Business English Vocabulary
These tests focus on business-related vocabulary, grammar, and reading and listening comprehension. The answers are provided at the end when the candidate is done. The site has a very long list of exercises, quizzes, and tests on many language areas and skills, such as:
- Sales and marketing
- Banking and finance
- Information technology
St George International: English Test: Business English Vocabulary
A 20-question, fill-the-blank exercise, this test assesses business-related vocabulary. Moreover, there are short tutorials for addressing daily business concerns of students on St George International’s Business English blog. The tutorials cover useful topics such as:
- How to interrupt politely
- Answer difficult interview questions
- Write a professional out-of-office automatic response in perfect professional English
Business English Textbooks
Business English textbooks are useful resources for learning communication techniques and structures for specific situations. They also lay a solid foundation to build Business English vocabulary and grammar. Check out our top few books for various aspects of learning Business English.
General Business English Books
- English for Everyone: Business English Coursebook
- Grammar for Business
- Business English ESL
Business English Vocabulary Books
- Oxford Business English Dictionary
- Business Words You Should Know
- 'Business Vocabulary in Use' Series
Business English Phrase Books
- Business Idioms International
- Speak Business English Like an American
- Perfect Phrases Series
Business English Writing Books
- Business Writing: What Works, What Won't
- Barron's ESL Guide to American Business English
- Business English: Develop Effective Business Writing Skills
Other resources for learning Business English may include websites and podcasts built for the same purpose. Here are a couple worth checking out!
Business English Pod
This podcast offers students a short write-up about different business situations. An accompanying podcast discusses each situation. Links are provided to the videos that teach students more Business English with visuals.
The podcast uses specific situations, such as how to properly argue in a meeting or take control in times of crisis, to teach Business English communication. This way, students also get to improve their overall business skills!
The podcast episodes discuss other situations such as meetings, presentations, job interviews, socializing, and travel, citing example dialogue within each situation. Each video prompts you to think about certain questions and listen for specific information.
BBC Learning English
Arguably the best online resource for students of Business English, the BBC Learning English website helps students learn how to handle themselves (by using their English properly) in a wide variety of possible business scenarios.
In the English at work section, learners can follow fictional workers, Anna and Tom, through all sorts of common issues that might arise in the office. Listen to Anna’s interview at the company or learn how to make polite requests.
Students even get to hear how Anna and Tom deal with their colleagues at their own wedding. These scenarios are helpful outside of work as they make you understand the culture of English-speaking countries.
In the Talking Business section, more general business scenarios are covered such as setting agendas, giving presentations, or answering the phone. BBC Learning English introduces the basics of Business English, including some funny and uncomfortable situations you might encounter at work.
The platform that connects tutors and students