- 01. What is a driving licence?
- 02. Why do we need a Driving licence in India?
- 03. Types of Driving Licence in Maharashtra state
- 04. How to Determine Authentic Driving Licence?
- 05. List Of Required Documents For Driving Licence
- 06. You Can Now Apply For a Driver’s Licence Online
- 07. Superprof: To Find Best Driving Instructors In Maharashtra
For thousands of years, driving a car has been an essential part of our society. From the earliest times when humans would ride on horseback and then later with intermediate stages like rickshaws or carts to more modern-day means of transport such as cars are now becoming increasingly popular among young people despite the dangers involved. The need for drivers is constant everywhere globally, but what do you know about the Indian state’s rules? Furthermore, a driving licence is a legal document given to an individual by the government, permitting them to drive vehicles of different categories. However, obtaining a driver’s licence in India is a challenging task and applicants need to pass multiple tests before finally being granted permission for testing on public roads. The process also requires a lot of time and patience, as well as money. Currently, the Indian government is trying to make it hassle-free for everyone by providing the facility to apply online. Many states have started the online application process long ago, and Maharashtra is one of those states. Moreover, to obtain a driver’s licence in Maharashtra, specific documents are required by each applicant. In the majority of applications, an individual will need to have a guarantor who is either family or a close friend willing to vouch for them. They also must meet certain age requirements before they can begin studying for their exams. Additional restrictions apply to non-Indian applicants with passports from other countries that require additional tests and driving licence fees. In India, every state has its parameters for issuing licences and determining who can get them. The RTO of Maharashtra oversees this process to ensure that every citizen is safe while driving on public roads. This article will highlight every essential piece of information regarding the process of getting a driving licence.
What is a driving licence?
In India, a licence is a legal document given to an individual by the government authorising them to perform certain tasks which only eligible people can do. Activity can be anything from driving a car or operating heavy machinery to voting or owning firearms. Therefore, the Indian government provides a driving licence to authorise a person to drive a vehicle. In general, it falls under one of three classes: commercial vehicles, regular cars and motor vehicles. Moreover, the purpose of driving licence in Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Noida etc is the same, to validate that the person is eligible to drive anywhere in India.
Why do we need a Driving licence in India?
Driving licences are necessary for every person who wants to drive any type of vehicle for whatever purpose and place they live. Even if you don’t own a car and want to use public transportation like cabs and trains, you will still need a license to get where you’re going. The main reason why governments require people to obtain licenses before driving is safety; only those with enough experience can properly control a vehicle and avoid accidents. In India, the Ministry of Transport is in charge of issuing licences to drivers. To get one, you will have to follow specific rules issued by the government, which require each person to meet various requirements set out by law when applying for a licence. These rules change from place to place, so you must check with your local authorities before getting started.
Types of Driving Licence in Maharashtra state
Before you apply for a driver’s licence, you must know which category fits you. The types are almost the same as driving licence in Tamil Nadu.
- Private Vehicle - For driving cars or other personal vehicles, including goods carriers, passenger cars etc. Essential eligibility criteria required, minimum age 18 Years.
- Two Wheelers - Driving a bike or any other two-wheelers, including scooters, mopeds etc. Basic eligibility criteria required, minimum 18 years age for gear and 16 years of age for non-gear.
- Commercial Vehicle - For driving trucks and tankers without a cabin/ with a cabin. Basic eligibility criteria required, minimum 20 years ago.
- Construction Vehicle - For driving construction vehicles like excavators, cranes etc. Basic eligibility criteria required: Applicants should be a minimum of 20 years old, and they must have passed the 8th standard or more.
- Driver License, Source: Ackodrive
How to Determine Authentic Driving Licence?
Once you get your driving licence, the next thing is to identify whether it’s original or not. Below are some easy methods that can help you determine the authenticity of the document:
- Check your photograph on the DL, and it must be correct because DL is also used as photo ID proof.
- Check your driving licence number, and it must be unique to you, i.e. it should not match any other DL number issued anywhere in India.
- Licence Number Format: The first digit of the DL Number identifies the state issuing the document. After the state code, there is a seven-digit number that is unique for every candidate.
- Check the issue date of your DL; it must be in the current year.
- Check the rubber stamp or signature of the issuing authority. You Can Now Apply For a Driving Licence online.
List Of Required Documents For Driving Licence
An applicant can not get a driving licence without providing the required documents with the form. All documents should be valid, and information must be correct as your information will be cross-checked with those provided proofs. These documents are also included in Andhra Pradesh driving licence requirements and many other states also have the same requirements. The list of required documents -
Proof of birth (anyone from these) -
- Birth Certificate
- PAN card Matriculation Marksheet
- Voter ID
List of documents for address proof -
For Permanent Proof of address, provide anyone document from the below-given list.
- Aadhar card
- Electricity bill
- LIC Policy
- Bank Statement
- Voter ID
- Ration Card
For Correspondence address proof, provide anyone document.
- Rent agreement
- LPG Bill
- Duly filled application form 4
- Three passport size photographs in case of permanent licence and six photos in case of learner’s licence
- Proof of paid application fees
- Driving certificate from accredited driving schools in India
- Medical certificate. Form 1A and 1, issued by a certified Government doctor.
You Can Now Apply For a Driver’s Licence Online
Maharashtra government offers two modes for applying for a driving licence, i.e. Online mode and offline mode. However, offline mode is tiring as you have to search for the nearest RTO first and then procure an application form. You will fill and go back to the RTO submit, and then other formalities also get in line. All of this hassle can frustrate a person very quickly. Therefore, the Maharashtra government has started accepting online application forms for a driver licence. This procedure is very easy compared to offline mode for every applicant as they can get forms online and further can also submit all the related documents online.
If you are also an applicant, you need to follow these steps to apply online -
- First, open the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways website at sarathi.nic.in
- On the homepage, click on the ‘driving license’ tab and download your new driving permit. You will be provided with form number 4 - an application for obtaining a permanent one.
- Duly fill in the details on this form and submit it online. Please include relevant documents with your requests, such as insurance verification and a driving certificate from any certified driving schools in India.
- After successful submission, you will receive a text with the application number and confirmation that your application form has been processed.
- Further, you can proceed ahead and book an appointment for your driving licence test.
Now, follow the below-given procedure to book a driving test appointment.
- For a quick and easy appointment booking, visit sarathi.nic.in. Simply click on the ‘appointment for slot booking’ option from within your homepage to get started.
- Next, you’ll need to insert your details on this page and select a time convenient for you to give the test.
- After scheduling the appointment, visit the RTO for your driving test with all relevant original documents.
- Once you pass the test, your driving license will be sent to your registered address.
Superprof: To Find Best Driving Instructors In Maharashtra
The Indian government is implementing many new changes in the procedure of getting a new driving licence. You must have a driving certificate from one of the driving schools as it is a part of the new driving licence requirements in the country. Therefore, you must choose the best driving school for training before you apply for a licence.
Find Certified Driving Schools In India With Superprof
There are many driving schools in Maharashtra that claim to be professionals in their field, but you might not trust any of them easily. There are many factors that decide whether a driving school is best or not, like their experience, facilities and instructors they have. Superprof is one brilliant platform where you can tick mark all these elements, and it provides the best driving instructors in Maharashtra. Additionally, each instructor undergoes a skill test, and only those who clear the test get listed. Available Near You: You must have been searching “driving classes near me” on Google for a very long time but couldn’t find the right one, correct? It is because not every driving instructor is available in your area. But Superprof has a customized list for every user; you can find the best-rated instructors of your area in one search. Moreover, if you are looking ahead to get a West Bengal driver's licence, check out Superprof, they provide the best services there as well. Free Demo Classes: Superprof provides free demo classes to new users every time they choose a different driving instructor. This ensures that the learners get to know about the teacher’s teaching method and choose whichever suits them best. One-on-One Classes: It is difficult for many people to learn efficiently in groups. Therefore, keeping that in mind, Superprof introduced one-on-one classes where learners get the proper attention of their tutor. This feature is unique, which most of the driving schools fail to provide. Thus, choosing Superprof to master the driving skills will be your best decision ever.
The platform that connects tutors and students