- 01. How can you apply for a driving licence in India?
- 02. Is there a Driving licence fee?
- 03. How to Apply?
- 04. Driving Licence in Maharashtra
- 05. Driving Licence in Uttar Pradesh
- 06. Driving Licence in Tamilnadu
- 07. Driving Licence in Andhra Pradesh
- 08. Driving Licence in West Bengal
- 09. Some of the Accredited Driving Schools in India
- 10. Driving classes near me with Superprof!
When it comes to some of the basic skills of a person, driving is one of the indispensable ones. Every person needs to have some sort of experience in driving. Why? Well, you can be the saviour of someone’s life in emergency situations, or you can take your family on a trip whenever you like. However, driving on Indian roads requires some sort of professional and legal permission.
Here we are talking about the driving licence. A driving licence is one of those crucial documents that you need to have in the glove compartment of your car or in your wallet. It will help you in case any law official checks your ID and if you are driving on the road legally. Other than that, a driving license can also serve as great ID proof for you in various other scenarios.
In short, if you want to get on the road with your motor vehicle, no matter which one it is, you need to have a driver’s license. Let’s see how you can get one!
How can you apply for a driving licence in India?
In India, The Road Transport Authority is responsible for issuing the driving license to the drivers. Further, a driving licence in India is of two types, namely:
- Learner or provisional licence
- Permanent licence
You can get a learner licence issued to you on the spot based on some initial document submission. However, for a permanent licence, you have to prepare yourself. A learner’s licence is only valid for 6 months. Post that, you have to appear for a theoretical test and a practical test to get a permanent licence.
When you apply for your driving license, you need to have some crucial documents with you. Here is this list of those documents!
Proof of your age
Matric mark sheet
Voter ID card
Other necessary documents
6 passport size pictures of yourself (at the time of learner or provisional license)
One photo when you are applying for a permanent license.
A duly filled application form you can get this form online or from your nearest regional transport office (RTO).
Medical certificate for people over 40.
Is there a Driving licence fee?
Yes, the Road Transport Authority levies some fees on driving licences. As there are various types of driving licenses, the fee for each one varies. Here is a detailed list!
- New license, whether it is a learner or permanent: 200 INR
- Renewal of license (learner or permanent): 200 INR
- International driving license: 1000 INR
- Fee for driving license test: 300 INR
These are fees that you need to pay to the RTO to get your license.
How to Apply?
Applying for a driver’s license is pretty easy; you can do it both offline or online. You just need to check that you have all the documents, fee and knowledge about road signs and rules.
For applying online
- Go to the Sarathi website and get the driving licence application form
- Fill the form as per the guidelines displayed on the screen and tap on 'Submit'.
- In case the applicant is a minor, part D of the form is to be filled out and signed by the parent/guardian at the closest regional transport office.
- Upload the documents that need to be submitted with the application, like age proof, address proof, learner's license number, etc.
- An application number will be generated after the submission. You can use this to track its status.
- Once the application has been processed, a notification will be sent via SMS.
After this, you pay the fees and book a slot for your driving test. You need to arrive at the test venue and take the test, both online and practical. The practical test will require you to drive the car or bike. Once you clear both the tests, the driving licence will be sent to your registered address.
For applying offline
- Go to your nearest RTO and obtain Form 4. Take the form, fill it with all the required details and attach all the necessary documents.
- Submit the form along with all the required documents at the RTO for the driver’s permit.
- Book a slot for your test and pay the fee for that.
- Arrive at the test venue on time and take the online and drive test.
- If you pass the test, your driver’s license will be delivered to you at your registered address. If you don’t, you can take the test again after 7 days.
These are the two ways to apply for a driver’s license in India. You can opt for any one based on your convenience. Although the rules of acquiring a driver’s licence are almost the same across the entire country, there are some areas where the rules differ a bit. Let’s see how you can get a license in various parts of the country.
Driving Licence in Maharashtra
Maharashtra is an Indian state that falls towards the south. It is home to the financial capital of India, Mumbai, which has some of the top-notch vehicles. If you want to drive a car in Maharashtra, you can obtain a driving license by following the same instructions mentioned above. A minor change in the documents is that you can provide the LPG bill as proof for correspondence address.
Driving Licence in Uttar Pradesh
If you are a resident of Uttar Pradesh, you do not need anything special to get your driving license. Just ensure that you have prepared well for your drive test and online test. Moreover, you are also required to check if your vehicle has the number and all of its parts are working properly. If your vehicle stops in between the test, it may have a negative impact.
Driving Licence in Tamilnadu
Getting a driving licence in Tamilnadu is the same as in the rest of the country. If you are a new driver, you need to be aware of the way traffic moves in your city. This is a bit uncertain to know; however, once you get on the road, you will know. When you get your provisional licence, you have 6 months to know about the road and polish your driving skills in your vehicle. If you face any issue, you can take coaching from various accredited driving schools in India.
Driving Licence in Andhra Pradesh
Andhra Pradesh is also towards the south of India. If you are a resident of AP, then you are in luck as there are many driving schools; these can help you drive your vehicle better and can also guide you regarding road signs and safety. To get a valid DL faster, it is best if you opt for these driving schools.
Driving Licence in West Bengal
West Bengal is an eastern state of India and has these yellow taxis. If you live in West Bengal and want to obtain a valid DL, you need to be aware of all the road safety rules. The document part of the DL process is also important and is the same as the rest of the country.
Some of the Accredited Driving Schools in India
To obtain a DL in India, you need to pass an exam by driving your motor vehicle. And to get perfect results in that exam, you have to take training from an accredited driving school. Here are some of the best driving schools in India!
- D-Man driving school in Chennai
- SharpDrives in Bengaluru
- Vaidya Motor Training School in Mumbai
- Sai Ram Motor Driving School in Bengaluru
- Good Luck Motor Driving School in Mumbai
There are many other driving schools that you can go to in the country. You can also visit your nearest RTO for suggestions regarding a driving school.
New driving licence rules
These driving schools produce some of the best drivers and also issue a certificate to them. They will also keep you updated with all the latest traffic rules. Here is one of the latest rules regarding DL.
You no longer have to take the driving exam to get a DL. However, if you are one of the first-time drivers, you have to complete training from an accredited training centre.
Driving classes near me with Superprof!
When it comes to finding drivers to learn driving, Superprof is a treasure box for you. No matter what type of licences you want, they can help you get drivers that have the authority to teach people.
It is pretty simple to apply for driving classes on Superprof. You just have to search for the tutor, and you’re good to go. A cool thing about Superprof is that you get your first lesson free. This helps you make a better decision about the tutor. Every tutor on Superprof is authorised to coach you, so no need to worry about it.
The platform that connects tutors and students