The English language is so elastic that you can find another word to say the same thing - Mahatma Gandhi
2021 is all about online engagement - online games, online learning, online chat, online video, and online English lessons. If you still haven't signed up with an online class to improve English, you are losing out on a great deal. There has never been a better time to invest your time and energy in enhancing your language skills. Who knows where and when you get the career break you have been waiting for? Or get the call to the university of your dream outside India?
Still in two minds? Don't be. Get started today with your English speaking practice with the best-in-class online learning from Superprof! Whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or at an advanced level of learning, with an online lesson in English, you can't be far behind in your road to opening new doors of opportunity.
What Are English Writing Skills?
To improve English, you should possess basic writing skills. This is a must to fill out college applications, submit cover letters, write emails in business contexts, etc. Since English is a global language, it is useful to know how to print, handwrite, and type out English letters. You can communicate with ease if you have intermediate writing skills. While advanced writing skills will help you excel in academics.
Why Are English Writing Skills Important?
Grammar, vocabulary, and words are the three important pillars of good writing. The top reasons why you should focus on building these skills include:
- You can write on your own, without someone having to help you out.
- You can get feedback on your language proficiency level through your writing.
- Writing is enjoyable and often relaxing.
- Creative writing is a skill in itself.
- Writing helps you express your thoughts with clarity.
- Learn new vocabulary when you write.
- Writing down new words that you learn is a good practice to retain new language information.
- Good writing skills can get you your desired job or admission to a prestigious institution.
How Important Are English Listening Skills?
Of the four basic language skills, listening is probably the most important. The process of receiving language through the ears is called listening. It is also one of the most important English speaking tips since it involves identifying and processing the various sounds of speech and translating them into appropriate words and sentences. This requires a high level of focus and attention which comes to humans naturally. So if you have difficulty in concentrating, it means you have poor listening skills.
5 Easy Ways to Improve Your Listening Skills
If you are having trouble with listening with focus, these easy exercises can help you improve:
- Podcasts - These are a great way to improve concentration while taking in new information in an engaging manner.
- English songs- Try to understand the lyrics carefully to improve English listening skills.
- English movies - Not just a source of entertainment, movies can also be a great learning tool.
- Online dictation - For a beginner to intermediate level, you can get assistance from an automated online dictator in English.
- English video - There are dedicated videos made for ESL speakers to help with their English lessons.
What is Included in English Reading Practice?
You all read. You read online, on TV, in books - you read information everywhere. It can be defined as the process of making meaning out of a series of written words and symbols by looking at them. Your eyes receive the written information - letters, spaces, punctuation and the brain then processes it to make meaningful words and phrases. You can read silently or loudly.
As such, reading is a receptive skills where you learn to receive information. But if you look at it more minutely, reading has to be complemented with spoken English practice in order to pronounce the words correctly. This makes reading both a receptive and productive skill.
Daily Habits to Get Into Reading Practice
You can easily get into the habit of reading daily by engaging with,
- online content
- social media
- communication apps
What is the Significance of English Speaking Practice?
Realistically, English is a universal language. It's the number one language for music and for communicating with the rest of the world - Enrique Iglesias
When you deliver language through your mouth to communicate, it translates into speech or speaking. Speaking can be of two types:
- Formal speaking that is used in business or academic contexts.
- Informal speaking that is used in more personal settings like friends and family.
Where Can You Put Your Spoken English Practice to Use?
You can try to implement your learning during English lessons at a language school. This could either be for getting admitted or to practice your proficiency and get feedback.
With family and friends, you are always at ease. It is the best way to learn and improve English speaking skills. Try speaking in English at theaters, restaurants, clubs, etc.
Music & Video
You can learn English through this media by repeating the words after listening. Or you can even write them down for better retention and practice.
Best Exercises for Online Spoken English Practice
If you are looking for innovative lesson plans and methods to improve your English speaking practice, then you can check some of these basic and more advanced exercises.
English Speaking Tips - Basic Exercises
There are three different methods or basic exercises to perfect your spoken English:
- Imitate native English speakers by watching a video or listening to a podcast.
- Memorize speeches and avoid looking at your notes while delivering them.
- Practice with your English tutor through a role play or Q&A session.
English Speaking Tips - Advanced Exercises
If you are looking to develop more advanced or a higher level of conversation skill, then these three exercises may prove beneficial:
- Focus on the main words through listening attentively and then narrate a summary.
- Choose random topics in a day and practice speaking in English for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Find peers online to strike conversations or schedule sessions with them to talk about chosen topics and get feedback.
How to Develop and Construct Perfect Sentences in English?
Do you often struggle to come up with perfect sentence or phrase at the right moment or in the right situation? Do you feel overwhelmed and at a loss of words in social settings? The problem may well be related to basic English language skills. Check out these useful tips on how to develop and construct perfect sentences in English to overcome this challenge.
1. Vary the Length of Your Sentence
Make sure your sentences are neither too short nor too long. If they are too short, the reader or the listener will soon get bored and lose interest in the conversation. The same outcome is expected of long sentences. Try writing or speaking using a combination of both to avoid monotony and to ensure the key idea is not lost.
2. Use As Many Linking Words As Possible
Linking or transition words are very important and often ignored in precise sentence construction. Whenever you want to jump from one thought or idea to another, it is important to use these. Otherwise your entire narrative will sound meaningless.
3. Use Only One Sentence Per Idea
Don't try to squeeze in multiple ideas into one sentence. It never helps. Instead use one sentence properly to communicate a single idea.
4. Always Highlight the Main Idea
You maybe tempted to add related ideas into one sentence. This is not a crime as long as you ensure that your main thought is not buried under the weight of complex clauses.
5. Repeat in Your Mind
Before saying it out loud, it maybe a good idea to run the sentence in your mind first. This is not always feasible but can be helpful in many circumstances.
The platform that connects tutors and students