Writing isn't letters on paper. It's communication. It's memory - Isaac Marjon
Spoken English lessons and a lesson in writing good English are very important to be able to write a good resume and a cover letter for a job application. In other cases also, like an SOP (Statement of Purpose) or a cover letter for submitting a fundraising proposal, you need to have a good vocabulary base and should be able to communicate in simple, yet commanding English.
Many spoken English teachers emphasize on the importance of communicating with simple English. You don't have to use a lot of jargons or complex sentences to prove your expertise level in the language. What you do need is the ability to communicate articulately. The more you practice through an online video or English language course, the better you get at this. You slowly begin to understand the difference between spoken English and prosaic English.
What is A Cover Letter?
A cover letter goes by many names - covering letter, motivation letter, etc. It is a piece of document that describes with precision as to why you are the best fit for a job or any other role in business or academia. The objective of a cover letter is to complement the information provided in your job application and resume. It highlights your level of expertise and achievements.
Difference Between A Cover Letter & A Resume
A resume contains an entire list of experiences and achievements that you have accomplished. While a covering letter is more like your marketing document that amplifies your brand. A cover letter is a summary of your curriculum vitae in the form of a gripping narrative.
Why Write A Cover Letter in English?
Most students approach the task of writing cover letters as an added lesson. What they don't realize is that a good cover letter reflects an advanced level of understanding of the job role. The following reasons should help you understand the importance of cover letters:
- 53% employers across the world look forward to a cover letter, along with a resume.
- 49% recruiters reject a job application if a cover letter is missing.
- Almost 70% recruiters look for a 100 to 150 word cover letter to make their initial assessment of the candidate.
- You can easily modify a cover letter to a letter of intent to access jobs that are not listed on public platforms.
Types of Cover Letters
Practice makes a man perfect. The saying could not have been truer. When you learn how to write good cover letters in your English writing lessons, you are also increasing your chances of getting noticed by recruiters manifold. But it's important to choose the right type of cover letter to make the best impression. Depending on the nature of job application, there can different types of cover letters.
5 Most Commonly Used Cover Letters
This is the most widely used cover letter while applying for jobs, that is sent along with your resume.
You would typically use this to indicate a referee who has recommended you for a post to gain attention from recruiters.
You may have come across openings through an online video or by talking to someone at work. But not sure of the exact nature of the job role. That's when you use a cold contact cover letter.
Letter of Interest
This is more like a prospecting letter that is used to get more information about potential vacancies with a company.
You can also submit a brief statement to explain what makes you unique using a value proposition letter.
Components of A Cover Letter in English
A course in business English or lessons in speaking English with correct grammar will help you practice good resume and cover letter writing. A standard cover letter has four parts:
- Your contact details and the date.
- Introduction that contains the opening remarks about who you are.
- Body that contains 1 to 2 paragraphs summarizing your experience and why you are the best fit for the role.
- Closing statement to re-affirm your interest and fitment.
The body is the main area of focus and should be treated as a sales pitch. Now this requires practice just like you would do with an actual business pitch. There are many tips and strategies on how to write the perfect cover letter in 2021. Some of the easiest steps to take include,
- Watching an online video on resume writing & drafting cover letters
- Listening to sales pitches
- Spending time studying good cover letter samples
- Signing up for an intermediate to advanced lesson online for free
- Learning to communicate articulately from your spoken English teachers
How to Write the Perfect Cover Letter in 2021?
You are not your resume. You are your work - Seth Godin
Online video lessons or talking to an English-speaking friend can help you practice the useful tips for good English. Spoken English lessons can only help you if you practice each lesson over and over again.
Best Tips to Write A Good Cover Letter in English
Use A Good Header
The mandatory components of a professional cover letter header include:
- Your Name
- Your Contact Information
- Date of Application
- Name of the Hiring Manager
- Name of the Company
Use A Proper Opening
Typically, you should open your cover letter with the right greeting. Depending on the culture of the company, you can use the first name of the addressee or just use Hiring Manager
Use A Catchy Summary
Your skills and expertise level should come out in the first sentence. Avoid clichés and instead write creatively. Be precise while explaining why you are the right candidate.
Use A Positive Closing
The closing paragraph should be used as a request to keep the discussion open. Use formal tone but put in a request to welcome discussions instead of sounding desperate.
How to Write A Cover Letter for English Teacher Jobs?
You may be well-versed with the English language and may think that you make a great teacher. But do you know how to write a good cover letter for English teacher jobs?
Basic Format for ESL English Teacher Jobs Cover Letter
As an ESL teacher, you have to write a compelling cover letter to be considered for spoken English teachers roles. Your cover letter should focus on the following important features:
- Clearly lay down your understanding of the school - its vision, lesson plans, courses, etc.
- State your own skills while highlighting the ones you are most competent in.
- Put forward your forte - planning lessons, conceptualizing learning materials, developing the course, talking to students, etc.
- Highlight your listening skills as a teacher.
- Talking about specific instructional skills can be very helpful as a teacher.
English Speaking Tips to Crack An Interview
Along with understanding how to write the perfect cover letter in 2021, it is also useful to get familiar with some basic interview skills that will help you approach the hiring process more confidently.
Tips to Get The Best Outcomes in Your Interview
Be it the first job or the 10th, you can never be 100% sure of what's in store for you during a job interview. But practice can help you prepare better for these. Here are the most effective strategies to help you prepare for a job interview:
- Read about the company properly and understand in-depth about the values and the work.
- Read the job description carefully.
- Brush up basic skills relevant to the job role.
- Do not turn up late for an interview.
- If there is an assessment, make sure to prepare in advance.
- Make a list of potential interview questions that you can prepare for.
- Be articulate in communication and don't keep explaining yourself.
- Pay attention to the interviewer.
- Make eye contact and maintain a positive body language.
- Speak in sync with what's mentioned in your resume and cover letter.
- Clearly mention your strengths and areas of development.
- Always communicate a clear career goal to avoid ambiguity and create doubts.
The platform that connects tutors and students