“Music is the true breath of life. We eat so we won't starve to death. We sing so we can hear ourselves live.” - Yasmina Khadra
According to a study published by Publicis Media, a lot of musicians don’t actually play their favourite instrument. In fact, there are more people who say the drums are their favourite instrument than who play them.
Drums can be used for a number of styles and are becoming more popular. In addition to choosing between acoustic and electronic drums, you’re probably wondering whether or not there are apps available to help you learn how to play them. Here are our favourite apps and programs for learning how to play the drums on your smartphone or tablet!
Applications for Learning More About Drums
When we talk about apps, we usually mean those that are available on smartphones and tablets, regardless of the operating system (iOS, Windows, or Android). For learning how to play the drums, there are a few different types of apps to get you started:
- Apps for learning about music and your drum set (the bass drum, snare drum, hi-hat, cymbals, etc.)
- Apps for improving your rhythm
- Apps with sheet music and drum tabs
- Apps for trying out different instruments like maracas, electric guitar, and clarinet
- Apps for composing and recording music
You’ll need to have a look around the different free apps to find the right ones. When it comes to music theory and tabs, MuseScore is one of the best apps available for Android. You can download tabs and sheet music, find some classics for a number of different musical instruments on a large variety of different devices. There’s also piaScore for Apple products.
Don’t worry about getting a new smartphone, either, all your preferences and personal data is stored on your account, rather than the app itself! You can re-download all your data to your new device.
There are also other popular free music apps such as:
- Garage Band (iOS), you can record your first drum tracks with this software.
- Walk Band (Android), which offers a similar set of functions.
- Music Maker Jam, for creating the next summer hit
- Auxy Music Studio, for your next musical masterpiece
While these apps are free, there are also pro versions available which you can pay for in order to access better functions. On the Google Play Store, there are hundreds of drum apps for everyone. Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, you’ll be able to find the right app and improve. There are also Android drum games you can get for smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy Note or Samsung S6, for example.
You can also get private online drum tutorials.
Apps for Learning How to Play the Drums
If you’re just learning how to play the drums, you’ll need four things to get you started:
- A metronome to help you improve your rhythm, keep time, and familiarise yourself with different time signatures and tempos:
- A checklist or notebook that you can keep on you with all the fundamentals of drumming
- An app to help you tune your drums, especially if you’re using acoustic drums
- An audio recorder to listen to yourself playing
Drums aren’t just for fun; they can help you improve your rhythm and motor skills. Remember that drum kits start at around £200!
There are plenty of apps that can replace some of these things, too. You can get metronome apps such as Virtual Metronome (on iTunes) or Tempo (from Google Play). These apps can create setlists to make your job easier. There are both free and paid versions available.
To work on the basics, there are two main options for you:
- Rudidrum, which has a free version available on iTunes
- The Drum Dictionary, which has both free and paid versions
To tune your drums, you can download iDrumTech. This will cost you a couple of quid but it’s worth it. It’s very easy to use and you can even save preferences. You can get this app is on iTunes.
In terms of apps for recording music, you’re more likely to have to pay close to a tenner for them. Free apps don’t tend to offer a lot in terms of functionality. There are only really two options:
- Using the audio recorder built into your device, which is free.
Now that you’re familiar with a few of the better apps out there, you probably want to know which are the best apps for learning how to play the drums! Let’s have a look at what you have available to you.
Getting Online Drumming Tutorials
There are more than just apps available to help you improve your drumming. There are also sites like YouTube!
Why not check it out?
You can watch thousands of videos on:
- Learning about the different parts of your drum kit
- Playing the drums in recording studios
- Learning how to play the drums
- Drum tips for becoming a great drummer
However, it’s not always easy to get started on your own. This is why a lot of platforms like YouTube have places where you can communicate with other users. This is also where you can learn more about how other instruments work like:
- The ukulele
- The double bass
- The Calabash
- Symphony orchestras
You can also find inspiration for percussion and drums with:
- Synthesizers, which can create original music
- Woodwind or string instruments, which are commonly played alongside drums
- A unique style such as the Charleston or folk music
Drums are more than just music or sheet music, they’re a feeling and an emotion. Some programs can help you stay in time with your music, or provide you with an audio interface for recording your music.
In addition to YouTube, you should also check out:
- SoundCloud, for drum performances
- Vimeo, for quality videos
- Periscope, for concerts on social media
- LibCast, with a paid version for watching professional videos
- Wistia, for music projects
With all these platforms, you’re bound to find a professional drummer to help you get to grips with your new instrument, discover new musical styles, or set up your drum kit.
You should also check out which drum apps work with your favourite devices.
The Best Apps for Learning How to Play the Drums Online
While there are apps for helping you learn more about guitar effects, African drums, and playing classical guitar, you’ll need to focus on drumming apps if you want to improve.
Whether you want to become a professional drummer, improve your drumming, or play in a band, there’s a great solution: making sure you always have a useful drumming app to hand. Here are four that we reckon you should take a look at.
MyDrumApp, one of the best drumming apps. With over 40,000 combinations available, this app is great for creating music and gaining a greater understanding of drumming fundamentals. There’s a shuffle mode for putting together random beats as well as a Teacher mode for brushing up on the theory. It only costs a couple of quid, too!
DrumSchool for beginners. This app is available on both iOS and Android and has drum lessons for beginners or for those who need to get back into the swing of things. You can learn with drum tabs, libraries for all levels with different styles and sounds. There are 5 different sections you can work from. This app costs a little more than the other but is well worth it for beginners.
WeDrum, the fun option. This is a series of free drumming games for you to feel like you’re playing drums at a concert or in your own home studio. You can also play the piano or the guitar. This is a free way to get started with drum lessons.
Real Drum 7.25, the technical choice. With this app for Android, you can learn to play 13 different instruments, including the drums. You can record your tracks and share your favourites. This is a free way to simulate drums on your smartphone or tablet.
Whether at home, on the bus, at work, or at school, you can make the most of your free time by learning how to play the drums with both free and paid smartphone and tablet apps.
So which one works the best for you?
Which are the best sites for learning how to play the drums?