You will learn more and more as you continue reading. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. ~ Dr Seuss
Playing the violin is a fun musical experience that will give you life-long memories. It is well known as the string instrument of choice for musicians such as Itzhak Perlman. Also, there can’t be any doubt that playing it well does require some hard work and plenty of practice. The fantastic news is that learning to play using books, or with any other method for that matter, can make this process much better!
Specific resources should be used in accordance with your interests and goals as a musician. For example, if one needs to learn to play rock music on the violin rather than perform classical pieces, a different approach would be required.
Moreover, the main reason for choosing a violin book over e-learning is that it can be challenging to follow tutorials online. The screen doesn’t make the output very clear, and there isn’t always a good way of repeating steps or going back when something needs clarification. In comparison, books are an excellent choice in this regard because they give you easy access to written information in a tactile form.
In addition to being portable and easily accessible, books also present an excellent opportunity for people who want to learn with others nearby in a live setting rather than alone at home. Of course, not everyone has friends or family members who know how to play, but most cities have music stores where teachers can be hired one-on-one.
Therefore, if you prefer learning through books rather than online videos, this article can help you a lot.
Can You Teach Yourself Violin?
Yes, you can teach yourself violin. Some people have a natural talent for playing the violin, and some learn with a lot of practice. Learning to play doesn’t necessarily mean sitting down for long hours of lessons every day of the week. If you want to have the benefits of learning the violin, then planning the schedule can be the best way for you.
In fact, few would argue that teaching oneself is better because it allows you to play at your own pace and set things out in a way that makes sense to you. However, this kind of freedom can be scary for others, so they may prefer more structured learning, which they can get from regular lessons.
Moreover, there can be some issues that you can face while you aspire to learn online without needing any help. The most common is not being able to ask questions and doubts that you may have during the process of learning. Also, it is essential to notice that online learning has a lot of information that can be hard to handle. We recommend you avoid paying for many different lessons when you do not need such a quantity.
Therefore, in general, teaching yourself violin isn’t necessarily bad nor good; it depends on your personal needs and expectations from this process. But still, if you want to become a professional violinist, you must seek guidance from the professionals.
Many people say that not every age group can learn to play the violin online. That is a complete myth; there is nothing like the best age to learn the violin. You can learn any art at any stage of your life because age is not a barrier, but your mentality is.
However, if you want to learn just for fun, you may proceed with whatever online sources suit you.
Can You Learn the Violin Using Books?
An easy answer to this will be yes, but another solution would be that it depends on you entirely. If you can learn things using a book, then you can learn any art you need for sure. Also, books are one of the cheapest and oldest ways to learn and they will be of great help to you.
But there can be some issues that you may face while learning things with books only. The most crucial point here is that not every writer knows what students need at their level of music, so the book you will get might not necessarily provide such information. That’s why it is imperative to carefully choose your book, making sure that it suits your level and includes topics that are more interesting for you.
Furthermore, there are many eBooks available for all music lovers, and they can also be of great use to you. These eBooks contain a lot of helpful information about the violin and how to learn it.
However, even if many sources offer free or cheap eBooks, we recommend taking a look at a paid version. This way, you can be sure about how much the author knows about the matters in question.
The Best Books To Learn to Play the Violin
Many books are available for people who want to learn how to play the violin without teachers. Some focus on beginners with no experience, while others provide detailed instructions with step-by-step guidance. It is important not only how well written they are but also what kind of usage they have: printed or eBook.
Either way, there are many excellent books available that will help you learn more about the string instrument and show different techniques and skills that can improve your skill on it.
With these options available, another question will be how to choose the best one for you?
If you are a beginner, your book must contain information about all of the basic steps when playing a strings instrument. It should also include pictures and diagrams to make learning easier for you.
Moreover, if this is your first experience with music, it is better not to purchase additional DVDs or CDs since they can be very confusing when you are trying to learn something new.
Finally, be mindful that no matter how experienced a violinist you’ll become in the future, there will always be more books published on any aspect of playing the violin. It means that you shouldn’t feel overwhelmed by the amount of material available because having various options means a much greater chance of finding the best one for you.
The Best Books to Learn the Violin
- Essential Elements For Strings - Book 1: Violin - Using this book, you will get easy tips on how to hold the instrument so that you can start playing right away. Also, this book will show how each song should be played and what notes are involved in them. This will be an excellent edition for those who are in beginner violin classes.
- Learning The Violin, Book One: In this book, you will find many exciting ways to understand the violin and all the basic concepts needed for playing the violin and becoming a pro violinist.
- Play Violin Today! Level 1: The book discusses topics such as building and maintaining your violin, the many ways to generate sound, and music notation and rhythms. There’s also a fingering chart to help beginners match their fingers to the notes.
Once you have completed the beginners level, you can continue with the next level.
For Intermediate Players
- All for Strings Book 2: This second part of All for Strings is one of the best books for intermediate players. It delves into more complex musical ideas, such as octaves, double-stops, and arpeggios - patterns that are often requested in auditions.
- Suzuki Violin School (Volumes 2-4) by Shinichi Suzuki: This series of books is often suggested since it was designed by famous violinist Shinichi Suzuki. It contains the music that students should be playing on their instruments and includes performance tips and helpful information on practising.
- Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching: Many instructors praise this book for being ideal for intermediate to advanced violin students. It’s because it employs jargon and scenarios that are difficult to comprehend if you have no prior knowledge of violin playing. The book contains music worksheets and theories to help you improve your bow-hand or finger flexibility.
For Advanced Players
- Scale System: Scale System is a recommended violin book authored by a well-known violinist and educator, Carl Flesch. It offers a lot of possibilities: major and minor scales on one string, scales that span two and three octaves, arpeggios, harmonic scales, double stops based on scales, and shifting. All in one violin book!
- Kreutzer 42 Studies: This book is highly recommended to those looking to hone their skills or need to practice regularly. The book can help you enhance your finger speed, intonations, strings crossing, trills and many other things.
How Superprof Can Help in Learning Violin?
Superprof is among the best websites for violin tutorials that can help beginners as well as professionals who want to learn anything faster. It contains thousands of professional violinists and teachers who can be of great help to you. You have to just select your teacher according to schedule, price, or rating and contact them directly through the platform.
Furthermore, Superprof makes sure that all its tutors are professionals, and only those with experience and exceptional talent get on the website. Also, it carefully tests every teacher before allowing them on Superprof to avoid any issues in communication.
Also, Superprof is known to offer various unique features to its students like -
Flexible Classes - Many websites have a rigid schedule for classes that is not favourable for all students. But, Superprof has defied that rule and offers flexible classes that students can choose according to the time availability.
Free Demo Class - Superprof offers a free demo class to beginners so that students can test their teachers’ performance and decide whether or not they want to take lessons from them.
Verified Teacher Reviews - While looking for teachers, you can look for student reviews if you find any difficulty in determining whether the teacher is actually good for you. Every student review is very well verified by Superprof and ensures that only genuine students can give ratings to the teachers they have learned from.
Therefore, don’t wait. Visit Superprof today and get yourself a violin teacher.
The platform that connects tutors and students