The English language belongs to the Indo-European language family. It originated in England and is the dominant language of the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, and various other nations. It has also been given the status of an official language of India, along with the Philippines, Singapore, and many countries in sub-Saharan Africa, including South Africa.
English has been elevated to the status of a global lingua franca, thanks to its popularity and widespread use the world over. An estimated two billion people now use English, either as their mother tongue or as a second language.
Employment Prospects for a Certified English Teacher
A certified English teacher in India, that is someone who has earned a degree in education, as well as the English language, will have a number of opportunities to choose from. From private tuition in English to English tuitions online, from conducting English classes in language training institutes to getting employment in government-run schools and private educational institutions - there are a host of promising career paths to take.
- You can do academic teaching in school, college, and university. Help students acquire and develop skills in reading English, spoken English, English listening skills, English literature and the various other facets of the subject.
- You can start online tutoring jobs. Online tutors have various ways to make money online. Try English tuitions online on platforms such as Superprof, TutorVista or Vedantu. As an online tutor, you can either do freelance tutoring or create your course material and upload it on teaching websites.
- You can even start your own tutoring business - online or out of a coaching center.
- Enroll yourself in a tutoring center. They are always on the lookout for quality and experienced English tutors. Get the chance to mentor students in those tutoring centers too.
Earnings of an English Teacher in India
The remuneration of English teachers in government-run schools and colleges is decided according to the current Pay Commission rules applicable to the education system in India. However, if you are applying to a private school or college, here are some pointers to keep in mind while negotiating your salary.
For a primary school teacher with less than a year's experience, the average annual salary may vary between INR 59,516 – INR 232,699. However, with more experience, the salary is expected to go up. For example, it can go up to INR 360,000 for a teacher with more than a decade of teaching experience.
Similarly, for a high school teacher with less than a year's experience, the average annual salary varies between INR 66,000 – INR 368,671. It can go up to INR 760,256 for someone with almost two decades of experience.
There are several other perks of being an English tutor in India apart from the monetary benefits.
Educational degrees and certifications play a decisive role in the pay scale of an English teacher, For example, an English major with an additional Bachelor's degree in Elementary education will carry more weight than another who has one of the two. After all, teaching is not everyone's cup of tea!
Some of the degrees and certifications that come in handy while applying for the post of an English teacher in schools are:
- B.A. English
- Bilingual Education
- Teacher Certification
- Elementary Teacher Certification (Grades 1-5)
- Secondary Teacher Certification (Grade 9-12)
- Bachelor of Education
- Bachelor of Education, English
- M.A. English
- Middle Teacher Certification (Grade 5-9)
- MRT or Master Reading Teacher Certification
The pay structures also vary according to the location of the job (city/ town/ village). This is because of the disparities in the costs of living in each sector. The following table is a representative sample of teacher pay scales across major Indian cities:
|Primary School Teacher||Kolkata, West Bengal||INR 48,322 – INR 147,681|
|Bengaluru, Karnataka||INR 112,101 – INR 208,553|
|Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 84,000 – INR 310,106|
|Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh||INR 72,240 – INR 206,084|
|Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 82,541 – INR 180,000|
|Pune, Maharashtra||INR 79,354 – INR 181,514|
|High School Teacher||Kolkata, West Bengal||INR 66,000 – INR 393,054|
|Bengaluru, Karnataka||INR 91,519 – INR 425,921|
|Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 119,358 – INR 618,252|
|Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 100,000 – INR 336,720|
|Pune, Maharashtra||INR 98,142 – INR 346,873|
|Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh||INR 82,541 – INR 366,251|
What About Private English Tutors?
The world of private tutoring is prospering in India. What began as home tutoring by individual teachers for students who need supplemental instruction has now become a full-fledged industry of tutoring companies running a parallel schooling system.
The market for private tuitions in India is estimated to grow to $25 billion by the year 2020. One student out of every four takes private tuition in India.
Tutoring students is no child's play. However, improved academic performance is a sure measure of your success as an individual tutor. The Indian private tuition industry may be divided into four vertices - classroom coaching, group tutoring, one-on-one homeschooling, and online course.
What does it take to organize a great English class?
Students want to find a tutor who can help with homework, test prep, provide individualized attention to some of the problem areas of the tutee and so on. A personal tutor helps in different areas of English training such as reading and comprehension, college essay writing, improving upon class notes and so on.
Benefits of Private Tutoring Program
A private instructor is there to assist students over and above what the pupil learns in school. However, there are certain advantages to this for the person doing the business of teaching. For starters, offering private coaching classes can be extremely flexible for the teacher. Let us take a closer look at some of the other major advantages of being language tutors in India.
- Get paid at an hourly rate that can earn you a lot more than a fixed monthly salary.
- Be your own boss.
- Enjoy the freedom of working from home
- Flexible timings let you plan your days better. You can negotiate and decide tutoring hours according to your convenience.
- If you are a certified teacher with the right portfolio along with a top-notch qualification on your resume and the luck is in your favor, you can also earn as much as INR 1000 / hour.
Check out these exceptional online tutoring jobs.
Online English Tuitions
The market for online tutor jobs in India is estimated to reach a value of USD 9 billion by the year 2022. The online tutoring services include internet-based online tutoring sites, online academic support services, as well as tutoring services that use the virtual world as a resource base to impart knowledge and education to students.
Moreover, the perceived anonymity of online learning offers shy students the courage to ask questions and seek clarifications for the issues they face in school, right from the comfort of their home.
There are different ways to offer your services as an online English tutor:
- Become a tutor on Superprof.
- Offering your tutoring services along with your reading writing skills on freelancing platforms such as Upwork.
- Creating English language course material and selling it to millions of students on platforms like Udemy.
- TOEFL, SAT, IELTS English coaching or a basic course on how to write college applications (SOPs, etc.) are in high demand due to the increase in the ESL market.
- Teaching via Skype to students all across the globe. You can schedule a lecture specifically tailored to suit your needs.
Benefits Of Becoming An Online Tutor
- Choose flexible working hours. Work outside of your regular office hours.
- Get rewarded by shaping the careers of students.
- You can teach from anywhere and at any time, thanks to computers and the Internet.
- Online tutoring offers higher earnings as compared to other online professions. Easily earn between INR 300-INR 1000/hour (depending on the level of English education you are imparting.)
- It is a relatively risk-free source of regular income.
- Experience counts in this world. Get paid for your educational qualifications and work experience.
English tutors benefit much more from online teaching than other SMEs as English is in demand all across the world through both academic tutoring as well as one-on-one tutoring. Different students require different tutoring programs, based on the study skills they need and special learning needs if any (e.g. dyslexia). Some need English writing tutors, while some need coaches for test preparation. The best tutors can guarantee lasting academic success. Do you have it in you?