Small opportunities are often the beginning of great achievements - Anonymous
Setting rates for personal training can be confusing, if not difficult. There are so many specializations, certification programs, and different types of trainers in the industry, it might leave you a little dumbfounded at first. The hardest part could be finding clients for personal training.
Sports coaching is undoubtedly a great career choice. It has an uber-cool appeal and a flair to it. The idea of being able to help other people lose weight, keep fit, or get back in shape can be a big motivation for a personal trainer. There is also this sense of fashion and trend when it comes to in-home fitness coaching. This profession is becoming more and more popular and the fitness industry is booming thanks to the success of such trainers.
In a society more and more concerned with their self-image, sports coaching has a bright future ahead of it by surfing the wave of interest in well-being. But personal training prices depend a great deal on the answers to questions like- how helpful is the advice of an in-home fitness professional or what is the ideal service charge for a personal coach?
Find out what is the personal trainer scope in India and what factors to consider before setting rates for personal training.
Salary for Personal Trainer in India Training Online
Did you know that the easiest way of finding clients for personal training is through online media? Surprised? Don't be. Online fitness coaching classes can be game changes when it comes to personal training prices.
With so much information available on online platforms like Superprof, it is not so difficult to go about the business of setting rates for personal training online. You would be surprised to know that the average price for personal training online is among the highest recorded on some of the sites. On some platforms, a sports coach will cost you more than a Math tutor, thanks to the popularity and fame gained by in-home coaches.
As an online fitness trainer, you can make up to 5,000 rupees per week, on average. And that too with decent clientele and regular work. You can offer short sessions or full-fledged online courses with the objective of finding clients for personal training.
Switching to a platform like Superprof means making sure you have direct contact with potential customers and sets aside a part of the need to search for clients, which is an extremely time-consuming part of being a freelancer, especially in the first few weeks or months after you begin. What's more? It is absolutely free to sign up on such sites. Just create your profile and get started with it.
What to Keep in Mind While Setting Rates for Personal Training?
How much does a sports coach earn? What are the parameters to fix personal training prices in India? Do the prices vary based on online sessions or a gym-based class or outdoor exercise training? Thanks to the internet, you can get clients easily for all kinds of sessions.
Personal Training Prices Basis Experience and Qualification
You may find big disparities according to the profiles. There are many differentiating factors that determine how salaries can be higher or lower in different cases.
- Location: Salary differences are primarily attributed to the geographical location. It is obvious that gyms in a posh locality will charge more than an exercise session in the suburbs. Sports coaching courses by certified trainers in the metros are more expensive than those in Tier 2 cities in India. The difference in rates could even go into a few thousand, depending on where you wish to set up a new fitness training center or offer a course.
- Quality v/s Quantity: There comes that point in every profession where you have to decide whether you want to work in an upmarket, expensive city and charge more for your services? Or would you rather work in a relatively cheaper neigbourhood with less competition and charge less but with more number of clients? Whatever is the case, the strength of your program would still lie in the quality of certification and training that you can offer to your clients.
- Diplomas, Certification, and Experience: All three combined offer a better personal trainer scope in India. Although it is not mandatory for a personal trainer to be officially certified in any related field like health and nutrition, it is needless to say that customers would prefer an educated and experienced trainer over a novice. Subsequently, they will also be willing to shell out more money for better quality and if they have more confidence in your abilities. Finding clients for personal training becomes all the easier if you can demonstrate your skills and back them up with a degree or diploma in sports, fitness, or coaching.
- Knowledge: Even if you don't have a diploma to start with, you can always bet on your knowledge of personal training that you can build through experience and exposure to the subject. This will also build your reputation and credibility over time. A strong understanding of how the body works during exercise is an important prerequisite to ensure that your students are safe and they can trust you.
- Experience and References: Use your networks to provide good recommendations and references. You can even upload your own videos to showcase your experience and expertise. It will be great if you can get endorsed by highly credible stakeholders like a celebrity even! Chances are that this will alone drive your personal training prices up.
Account for Costs while Setting Rates for Personal Training
Your career as a personal trainer or gym instructor depends heavily on the type of job that you find- self-employed or working at gyms and the likes. But whatever the type, it is important to look at both ends of cash inflow and outflow. Equally important is to have a tax plan and bookkeeping records to ensure that you don't lose out on hard-earned money.
Speak to an accountant or hire a professional cost accountant who can help with your account books and tax compliance. This is especially important if you are self-employed. If you are employed elsewhere like a gym or fitness club, it is relatively easier because your employer takes the responsibility to ensure that you file your taxes and the deductions are accounted for.
The potential cost items will include,
- training equipment
- training accessories
It is extremely important to you to plan, research, and organize your expenses to ensure that you don't go bankrupt while finding clients for personal training. Controlling your cash flow is important for the sustainability and long-term management of your business.
Another important cost element is your personal training insurance. It is an investment to stay protected against unforeseen damages like an unfortunate injury to any student or yourself. It will cover you eventually but you will have to account for it as an expense towards premium payment.
Sustainable Living As A Personal Trainer in India
Often when you think you're at the end of something, you're at the beginning of something else - Fred Rogers
The good part about being a personal trainer is that you can still offer your services post retiring from an active career. There are in fact many second career jobs in this industry- as a physical education teacher, training other trainers, gym manager, etc. - that can give you a good income and expand the personal trainer scope in India and elsewhere.
Advantages and Disadvantages of A Personal Trainer Career
Like any other job or profession, the career of a personal trainer takes years to be made and a matter of a few days to end. This is primarily due to the huge toll the job takes on the trainer's health. But there are always two sides to a coin and likewise, there are pros and cons to this profession too.
The salary for personal trainer has almost limitless potential. You can charge a rather high hourly rate and earn a decent salary at the end of the day. Remember that you are the primary factor in deciding your personal training prices. While setting rates for personal training, make sure you are offering a fair price; one that doesn't overestimate the price nor does it underestimate your value.
The schedule of a personal trainer can go haywire and sometimes unpredictable. You may end up working 24X7 to earn high incomes that will leave you no time for family or fun, Also, there is the health factor. The job is so demanding that it can be draining for both your physical and mental health. Being self-employed also carries with its own set of risks- low or no income at times being the most critical one.
So, remember to take care of yourself. Practice what you preach. And know your physical and mental limits. That in place, there is no force on earth that can stop you from earning a high income while following your passion as a personal trainer.
The platform that connects tutors and students