In 2022, St Stephen's College is one of the top 10 universities in India. With its founding in 1881, it is also Delhi's oldest college. The college's first affiliations were with Calcutta University and later, Punjab University. It combined with the constituent colleges under Delhi University in 1922.
You would enjoy discovering fascinating information about the first few days of St Stephen's College. At Katra Khushal Rai's residence complex near Chandni Chowk, the college's first class was held, consisting of 5 students and 3 teachers.
The Delhi Election Commission's office is located in the modest structure that housed the institution. Along with providing top-notch education, the college is renowned for supporting a variety of activities. More than 90000 books are kept in the college's common library.
Various other facilities and amenities inside the college campus include gymnasiums, junior and female common rooms, a chapel, and sports areas. The nation is proud of St. Stephen's College for its rich history and true service for 150 years.
Here you can find all about St. Stephen's college admission, course details, fees, etc.
The courses available cover topics in the arts, and science. Some of the best art courses taught at St Stephen's College include humanities, economics, philosophy, and political science. There are many different languages to learn under the Language section, including ancient languages like Urdu and Persian as well as popular ones like English and Hindi.
The Science department runs several popular courses such as Physics, Chemistry, and Computer science, Mathematics. The college undertakes both undergraduate and post-graduate programs. So, if you are looking for a top university in Delhi, St. Stephen’s College is definitely among the best of the lot.
Last but not least is the campus placement cell. St Stephen’s College has a campus placement cell where international firms such as American Express, Lehman Brothers, J.P. Morgan, and Merrill Lynch visit as recruiters. In the last academic year, the average salary offered during the campus placement was 8 lacs per annum.
St Stephen's College is an ideal choice for you to establish your career on a firm footing.
A Guide to St. Stephen's College Admission
St. Stephen’s College is known for its arts and science faculties. Hundreds of students apply for a few seats in this college every year. St. Stephen’s College admission is regulated by the Common University Entrance Test (CUET). Since the college is accredited with an ‘A’ tag, you should expect moderately tough competition in the entrance exam.
Three-year full-time undergraduate programs in B.A. and B.Sc. are offered at St. Stephen's College. Additionally, an Honors program with various specializations is available. Candidates must have completed their 10th and 12th grades from a recognized institution with a combined grade point average of 45 percent in order to be admitted to the Honors program.
A variety of MA and M.Sc. Postgraduate programs are available at St. Stephen's College. Candidates for admission to one of the two courses must have earned a bachelor's degree in the relevant field with at least a 50 percent grade point average.
The courses offer under each stream are as follows:
Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc)
Selection Criteria of St. Stephen’s College
St. Stephen’s College admission has two separate aspects or determining factors. Firstly the score of the CUET exam and secondly the interview. As per the latest circular issued by the college authority, admission will be based on 85% of the CUET score and 15% of the interview.
- The CUET exam score or the results of the aptitude test, followed by a personal interview, serve as the selection criteria for the aforementioned courses. Candidates who have been shortlisted are invited to the interview.
- Shortlisting criteria include a class 12 exam grade of 85%, a score on an aptitude test of 5%, and a personal interview score of 15%.
- Persons with Disabilities (PwD) candidates are exempt from taking the aptitude exam. Their class 12 exams will account for 85% of their scores, and their interview will account for 15%, in determining their merit.
- A sports trial will be required for applicants who use the sports quota.
The following is the application process for St. Stephen's College's undergraduate program:
- Candidates must register on the UG admission portal by going to Delhi University's official website.
- For UG, there is a 100 INR application fee. During the application procedure, the fee must be paid online.
- Following rounds of personal interviews, candidates will be narrowed down based on their performance on the CUET exam.
St. Stephen's College Cut Off
The undergraduate entrance cutoff will be made public on the college website by St. Stephen's College in August 2022 (probable). Check the St. Stephen's College cut off 2022 for each course if you're interested in applying for admission to the university's undergraduate programs. On the Delhi University admissions portal, candidates can locate St. Stephen's College cut off 2022. Aspirants must obtain the cutoff rank for St. Stephen's College in order to be considered for admission.
Candidates will be asked to participate in the succeeding rounds of St. Stephen's College admission if they meet the eligibility requirements and the cutoff rank for 2022. After document verification, chosen candidates must pay the course cost to confirm their acceptance.
- Start date of application - August 2022
- Deadline for submitting the application - August 2022
- Publication of first cut off list by St. Stephen’s College - September 2022
- Verification of documents of candidates from the first cut off list - September 2022
- Publication of second cut off list by St. Stephen’s College - To be decided
- Verification of documents of candidates from the first cut off list - To be decided
- Publication of third cut off list by St. Stephen’s College - To be decided
St. Stephen's College Eligibility
St. Stephen’s College strives to spread education among the downtrodden and underprivileged sections of society. Therefore, a significant amount of seats are reserved for the SC, ST, and OBC candidates. Please go through the following details on the St. Stephen’s College eligibility and reservation policy to have a clearer idea.
St. Stephen's College has allocated 50% of its total places for Christian applicants, who must be admitted in the following order:
- Under ST, Christian applicants take up 17% of the seats (or 8.5 percent of all seats)
- Christian Persons with Disabilities (PWD) students take up 3% of the seats (or 1.5 percent of all seats).
- For the Church of North India, up to 40% (or up to 20% of the total seats). The Delhi Diocese, which oversees the college, will receive 50% of this allocation or 10% of the total for candidates.
- Candidates from all other Christian denominations, or "non CNI churches," shall occupy the remaining 40% (i.e., 20% of the total seats).
Following are the procedures for filling the remaining 50% of seats in the non-Christian category:
- 3% (1.5 percent of the total) went to applicants who were PWD, whereas 17 percent (8.5 percent of the total) were SC/ST.
- The General Merit category will receive the remaining 80% (or 40% of the total).
St. Stephen’s College Eligibility for Undergraduate Courses
- Candidates for the BA program must have earned a minimum of 45 percent overall in their 10th and 12th-grade exams.
- Candidates for the B.A. (H.) degree must receive at least 50 percent on their qualifying exam.
- Candidates for the B.Sc. (Mathematics) program must have earned a minimum of 45% overall in their 10th and 12th-grade exams.
- Candidates for the B.Sc. (Chemistry) program must have earned a minimum of 45% overall in their 10th and 12th-grade exams.
- Candidates for the B.Sc. (H.) degree must have completed prerequisite coursework in physics, chemistry, and mathematics. Based on the combined percentage of marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics, the cutoff for these courses is determined.
St. Stephen’s College Eligibility for Postgraduate Courses
- The candidates must have earned a BA, B.Sc., or an equivalent Bachelor's degree from a reputable university in a related discipline.
- They needed to have passed the qualifying exam with a minimum score of 50%.
St. Stephen's College Latest Ranking
St. Stephen’s College is among the premium universities in India for years. St. Stephen’s College ranking in India has always been notable. Apart from various recognitions and accolades it received throughout the glorious journey of more than fifty years, the St. Stephen’s College ranking in India has always soared. Please refer to the following details for the latest update on St. Stephen’s College's ranking in India.
- India’s best art and Science College in 2021 by Week-Hansa research.
- Ranked Second in the NIRF ranking among all Indian colleges in 2018.
- India’s best science college in 2016 by India Today and Nielsen Survey in 2016.
St. Stephen’s College offers students the best academic experience. However, it is not only the academic prospects that St. Stephen’s College looks after. Extracurricular activities and various events and programs enable students to grow as complete individuals. The ranking includes all these facilities along with close scrutiny of the academic framework of the university.
Why is St Stephens College so famous?
St. Stephen's College is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Delhi, making it among the most prestigious universities in India. When the college was established, only 3 universities existed in India, namely, Hindu College and Ramjas College, later all of them were affiliated with it.
Here is the list of famous alumni from St. Stephen's college:
- Kapil Sibal
- Khushwant Singh
- Barkha Dutt
- Shashi Tharoor
- Konkana Sen Sharma
- Amitav Ghosh
- Naveen Patnaik
- Montek Singh Ahluwalia
The platform that connects tutors and students