Indira Gandhi National Open University was established in 1985 for the people of India. Standing true to its mission from the first day, IGNOU promotes education among all classes of society. At first, the formation of the institution was sanctioned by an Act of Parliament. Two years later in 1987, IGNOU began its formal journey as an open university with 4528 students. Diploma in Management and Diploma in Distance Education were the inaugural courses of IGNOU. Very soon, the university became popular, particularly for its acceptance of people from varied social and economic backgrounds.
Today, IGNOU stands as one of the finest educational institutions in India. The IGNOU network has reached the remotest areas in India, promoting education for all at the grass-root level.
- There are as many as 67 regional centres of IGNOU in different pockets of the country.
- Over 3000 Learner Support Centres strive constantly to reach out to students in rural India.
- IGNOU even has a prominent overseas presence with 29 institutions abroad.
- In the headquarters of IGNOU in Delhi, more than 200 teaching staff and 250 non-teaching staff collaborate to create the most sensational educational environment at the heart of the Indian capital.
Does IGNOU degree have value?
- Through all the regional institutions and learner support centers, IGNOU conducts around 200 courses.
- Undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma, doctoral programmes and certificate courses - you will find all relevant degrees in IGNOU.
- Another important aspect of IGNOU is that it makes individuals rely on their skills. Thus, the institution promotes various vocational courses that help students secure a job after the completion of their education.
- Recently, IGNOU launched a programme of free UPSC coaching to help students crack the most difficult administrative service in the world. However, the facility is available to SC candidates only as of now.
IGNOU has received its due share of credit as well. UNESCO declared IGNOU as the largest institution for higher education.
IGNOU has multiple tie-ups with leading organizations across the world which assist learners to grab a lucrative job. IGNOU has shown new ways to underprivileged students by conducting various job-oriented courses for free. The education for all includes specially-abled individuals as well.
IGNOU collaborated with the National Centre for Disability Studies to embrace specially-abled students and empower them with the wisdom of education.
There is no other institution in India that can be as proud as IGNOU when it comes to distance learning. From the day of its inception, IGNOU has been the pioneer in the field of distance education. Today, housewives and working individuals enrol in IGNOU to complete higher studies and create broaden their career opportunities.
Post-Covid days, IGNOU has started to shift its model of education from the usual classroom mode to online classes. IGNOU has already developed a collection of multiple online courses that help students from learning from their homes.
IGNOU Admission at a Glance
IGNOU admission is broadly divided into two phases. The first cycle of admission begins in January and the second cycle commences in July. IGNOU admission in undergraduate and postgraduate degrees depends on the result of the qualifying previous exam. IGNOU ventilates a merit list based on marks secured by the applicants in the qualifying exams. However, IGNOU holds an admission test for B.Ed courses and Doctoral programmes.
IGNOU admission for the second cycle i.e. the July session is due and students from different parts of the country are applying for various courses. If you are interested to pursue a career-oriented course, this is high time for you to gather all the necessary details for the IGNOU admission.
Application for Admission
Application forms are available on the official website. The last day of application for the July cycle is 31st July 2022. Admission for all the 200 courses is currently going on. Aspirant students should submit the application form along with the application fee of INR 250 within the due date. If you are applying for a course at IGNOU, you should keep your documents (proof of age and address) handy. The documents are listed below.
- A clear scanned photograph of the candidate (size should be less than 100 KB)
- A clear scanned copy of the signature of the candidate (size should be less than 100 KB).
- Scanned copies of relevant academic qualification certificates (size should be less than 400 KB).
- A clear scanned copy of the age proof (size should be less than 100 KB)
- A scanned copy of the certificate of the category (for SC/ ST and OBC candidates)
(size should be less than 400 KB).
- A relevant scanned copy of the experience letter (if required and/ or available) (size should be less than 400 KB).
- A scanned copy of the Below Poverty Level (BPL) Certificate (if applicable) size should be less than 400 KB).
Following is a list of courses IGNOU offers to undergraduate students.
- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc)
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)
- Bachelor in Computer Application (BCA)
- Bachelor Preparatory Programme (BPP)
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science (B.Lib)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor of Social Work (BSW)
Other than the subsequent Master’s courses, IGNOU offers MTTM (Master of Tourism and Travel Management) for aspiring students during postgraduation.
B.Ed and PhD courses require applicants to sit for an entrance exam. Each form of entrance exam costs INR 60 which the candidate must pay during the submission of the application form. The result of these exams is published online on the official IGNOU website. If you are interested in any of these courses, keep checking the website for the latest updates.
How to Check IGNOU Results
IGNOU conducts exams in two phases. These exams are officially referred to as TEE or Term End Exam. You can download the TEE form and appear in the exams from the allotted centres.
- The first phase of the Term End Exam (TEE) takes place during winter (December).
- The second phase of the Term End Exam takes place during late summer (July).
In both cases, results are out within 60 days of the exam. Candidates can check the IGNOU results on the official website of the university. The process flow of checking IGNOU results is given below:
- Log on to the official website of the university (ignou.ac.in).
- Go to the Student Support tab and hold your cursor there.
- From the drop-down, select the Result option and click on it.
- It will direct you to the official page of results that include entrance as well as Term End Exam results.
- Click on the relevant exam link (for instance, choose BA results if you are a student of BA).
- The system will ask for your enrolment number (generated during the TEE form fill-up).
- Provide the 9-digit enrolment number and click on the Submit button.
Similarly, if you have appeared in the entrance exam for B/Ed or PhD course, follow the steps to view your IGNOU results.
There is a streamlined process of re-evaluating IGNOU results. If you are not satisfied with the results, you can send the answer scripts for a re-evaluation with a mandated fee of INR 750. During the exam form fill-up, you will be asked to share an email ID. You will get an intimation of the re-evaluation in the same email ID.
IGNOU offers students an exclusive and unique scope of improvement exams to enhance their grades. Students who secure 2% less than the official first division and second division marks in the undergraduate exams can apply for the improvement test.
Similarly, students pursuing a Master’s degree can apply for an improvement test if they score 20% below 55% (from 53% to 54.9%). Moreover, IGNOU issues a grade card for every student. This will be discussed in the upcoming sections.
All You Need to Know about IGNOU Eligibility
If you are looking to reserve your seat at IGNOU, you must have accurate knowledge of IGNOU eligibility criteria. Since the university is open to all, it keeps standard eligibility criteria so that most of the students can meet them. The following list will clarify things further.
- The eligibility criterion for B.Ed students - Pass graduation with a minimum of 50% marks
- The eligibility criterion for B.Lib students - Pass 10 + 2 with a minimum of 50% marks
- The eligibility criterion for Bachelor’s students (other streams) - Pass 10 +2
- The eligibility criterion for MBA students - Pass graduation with a minimum of 50% marks
- The eligibility criterion for Master’s students (other streams) - Pass graduation.
In comparison to other universities, the cut-off marks are quite flexible to accommodate students of varied merit. However, teaching staff and faculty members of IGNOU make sure that when you leave the campus, you upgrade yourself. Career-oriented learning and placement cell are the two keys to IGNOU education infrastructure that draws thousands of candidates annually.
Multiple tie-ups and collaborations as well as government backing allow IGNOU to confer the students with amazing job offers. If you are a part of a vocational course conducted by IGNOU (Diploma or Certificate course), you will stay ahead of others in the job market. The government initiatives such as NSDC and Skill India promote vocational training that empowers backward classes and underprivileged students to become a part of mainstream society.
Carry IGNOU Grade Card Everywhere
IGNOU grade card is a performance report, more like a mark sheet that contains every detail of the Term End Exams. You will have a detailed report of marks scored in theory, practical, written and oral exams. Quite similar to the IGNOU result structure, the IGNOU grade card is published twice a year, each after one TEE.
Students who appeared in the Dec 2021 TEE will be able to view and download their IGNOU grade card from the official website of the university. This helps students to access the report card from everywhere. Furthermore, the grade card specifies the status of the result as ‘Completed’ and ‘Not Completed’. ‘Completed’ connotes a fully passed status whereas ‘Not Completed’ implies partially or fully failed. Please follow the process discussed below to download the IGNOU grade card from the official website.
- Log on to the official website of the university
- Go to the Student Support tab and hold your cursor there
- From the drop-down, select the Result option and click on it
- It will direct you to the official page for downloading the grade card
- Click on the Official Grade Card section
- It will ask you for the enrolment number
- Provide the enrolment number and click on the Submit button.
The grade card will shortly appear on the screen. You can download and/ or print the grade card for future reference.
Prepare for IGNOU Exams
Being a part of one of the most prestigious academic institutions in India is something to be proud of. However, be it the entrance exam or TEEs, you have to be on your toes to do well among thousands of other students. You must seek guidance from the right person to prepare for these exams.
Superprof is the ideal online platform that does the hard task of finding the most suitable coaches for you. Dedicated to supporting aspiring students, Superprof maintains a readily available list of tutors around your location who can guide you through graduation and post-graduation degrees. You should seek their guidance to stand out from the rest.
Superprof has a simple and user-friendly website that you can easily access and navigate through. All you need to do is to specify the degree you are pursuing and your location (for instance, BA English tutors near Chittaranjan Park). Superprof will fetch you an elite list of veteran trainers for your IGNOU courses. Apart from the entrance exams, you would require remedial classes and home tuitions to grasp the core knowledge. Superprof finds you the cream of coaches who will make your graduation study an affair of delight. Log on to the Superprof website and explore the amazing future that awaits you!
The platform that connects tutors and students