Biology gives you a brain. Life turns it into a mind - Jeffrey Eugenides
The study of life is what constitutes the field and subject of Biology. It can teach a great deal about human life and how it is connected to the world around them. Biology lessons focus on the study of any living thing and the vital processes that help it to survive. You can learn about the psychochemical aspects of life in a Biology class. The study of Biology has evolved a great deal thanks to modern technology and the quest for cross-disciplinary research. The latter has particularly benefitted the unification of scientific knowledge and led to the overlapping of Biology with other scientific disciplines. Thus, a Biology teacher will also expose you to the concepts of biochemistry, biophysics, and biomedicine.
The study of biology can be divided into different parts, based on the different levels vis-à-vis the fundamental units of life. For example, when you go to a molecular biology tutor, she will teach you about how life manifests from the chemical and energy transformations that an organism goes through. With the advancements made in the field of science and technology, it is possible to understand the precision and accuracy of such psychochemical organizations as well as the process of reproduction at this molecular level. This was unimaginable a hundred years ago. But thanks to the rise of genomics, molecular biology has made rapid strides.
So, if you are looking to sign up for a biology class, first understand why you should join one.
How Can Biology Classes Be Interesting?
A good biology lesson will open you up to the concepts as well as to their applications. And good tutors will teach you the right way of studying such a complex subject, by using the right resources and interesting methods.
Teaching Science in A Fun & Interesting Way
Why do you think Biology is scary for most students? The answer to that is no one thing really. But one of the most difficult things biology lessons is to be able to memorize the terms and names. No matter which grade you are in, a useful way to take your biology classes is to break down the complex words and identify the root of the concept. An easy tip is to make a note of the words that appear difficult to remember.
If you know any good Biology teacher, you would have also noticed that they tend to take you from what you already know to what you don't know. A good tutor would structure their lessons in a way that helps you master the general concepts first before moving on to the more challenging ones. So, a biology class should first teach you about the concept of evolution or cell regeneration before moving onto more complex streams like molecular biology.
Biology lessons can be super fun if put in practice. And that's why you have the laboratories which are literally your experimenting grounds. You must make the most of it to connect theory to practice. Drawings can also be a great tool to understand and remember concepts and minute details.
What is the Syllabus for Biology Class 12 NCERT?
Biology Class 12 NCERT (National Council of Research and Training) syllabus is prescribed by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). The syllabus and lesson plans are designed in a way that helps students get valuable information and resources about the subject. The lesson blocks flow sequentially from the basic to the most advanced.
Key Components of Biology Class 12 NCERT
You can view the CBSE course online on the NCERT website. The main topics covered in the syllabus are,
- Reproduction in Organisms
- Sexual Reproduction in Flowering Plants
- Human Reproduction
- Reproductive Health
- Principles of Inheritance & Variation
- Molecular Basis of Inheritance
- Human Health & Disease
- Strategies for Enhancement of Food Production
- Microbes in Human Welfare
- Principles & Processes of Biotechnology
- Biotechnology & Its Applications
- Organisms & Population
- Biodiversity & Conservation
- Environmental Issues
Can A Biology Class Be Fun Too?
Most science tutors and a biology teacher, in particular, must use a lot of activities to make the lessons interesting for the students. Whether you are teaching cell regeneration or genetics or DNA structure, you can only hook your students in a biology class if it is filled with activities, use of resources for demonstration or at least real-life examples. If you are a biology teacher, check out these resources and tips to help with your class-
- Explaining the Cell System: Just explaining theories in a biology class can be extremely boring for students. Instead, you can teach them about concepts using some free, online resources like Cell Anatomy games or a visual on how animal cells are different from plant cells.
- Experiencing Photosynthesis: The human evolution has been greatly dependent on the power of discoveries. Teach your students the magic of using light to make food. You may use a quiz to test the understanding or even play dumb charades to make it even more engaging.
- Teaching Genetics: You can teach a difficult concept like genetics to your students using the fruit fly, Drosophila Melanogaster. It is both a fun way to get your students engaged and also an experiential method to help them learn.
- Extracting DNA: You can actually demonstrate this process in a biology class. You just need to get a simple fruit like banana to school and be ready to apply your resources to extract the fruit's DNA.
- Exploring the Heart: It is a common practice for teachers and tutors to keep a model of the human heart in their class while delivering biology lessons. It is probably the easiest way to teach about the organ. To make it more interesting, ask your students to identify the different parts and functions and gamify the learning.
How to Find Teachers for Biology Classes in India?
Biology will relate every human gene to the genes of other animals and bacteria, to this great chain of being - Walter Gilbert
Students struggle a lot with this question- how to find teachers for Biology classes in India. But it's primarily because they don't know what makes a good biology teacher. Whether it's the CBSE or GCSE (UK) board, biology teachers and tutors have certain characteristics in common. And make sure to read the reviews properly especially if you are going for online biology lessons.
What Makes A Good Biology Teacher?
- Subject Matter Expertise: A biology teacher should have a deep understanding of the subject. And this is a non-negotiable. So, look for a tutor who has at least an undergraduate degree in the subject. A few years of college teaching experience would also come in handy.
- Research Orientation: For any field of science, research is an extremely important aspect. And if someone is in the teaching profession, the individual must be exposed to the world of research. They should have some publications to their name, even if they are not actively pursuing any research activities.
- Pedagogical Expertise: Apart from just the subject knowledge, good pedagogical skills are also something that sets apart good teachers from the average ones. Here, peer reviews are extremely important to understand the style of teaching and the methods applied.
- Overall Attitude: Biology is anyway a difficult subject. You don't need to add more negativity or complexity to it. So, a good biology teacher who can provide a good learning environment in the biology class can really enhance your learning manifold.
Can A Biology Teacher Offer Online Biology Lessons?
Online biology lessons are the in thing now. Especially during the current pandemic. Young medical professionals or retired ones are offering their time and knowledge to teach online and build a repository of online resources. Superprof is a great example of pooling such talent to bring you the best online classes in biology and many other subjects.
Things to Note
Choosing an online biology teacher can be a little difficult simply because you may not be sure which ones are good and which ones are a waste. So, here are a few important parameters to help with your selection:
- Trust only the verified online teaching platforms like Superprof, who have transparent processes of signing up and meeting tutors online.
- Trust peer reviews and don't go by numbers alone.
- Look for options that offer free demo classes to test waters before you actually sign up for a super-expensive biology class.
- Choose schedules carefully before committing and stick to them.
- Look for online teachers who offer structured lesson plans and not just one-off classes.
Follow these and you will be all set for the most amazing discoveries on this journey of biological phenomena.