Children in school are introduced to essays at an early age. Knowing how to write an essay is definitely a useful skill that we carry into high school, college, and our work life.
An essay is generally a short piece of writing outlining the writer’s perspective or story.
From writing essays on basic topics, students go on to write admission essays, theses, and dissertations all the way to employment-related essays. An essay is also considered synonymous with a story or a paper or an article.
5 General Tips for English Essay Writing
The process of essay writing begins with an interesting idea, which is developed by adding layers, to ensure that the reader understands exactly what the writer is trying to say. However, there are certain universal rules and a basic structure that are followed while writing an essay.
1. Create a Vocabulary Bank
Once you have chosen a topic for your essay, write a thesis statement. A thesis statement is the main argument of your essay. Once you have a thesis, think about your main topic and find words related to it in different ways.
Finally, diversify your vocabulary by including words that are not as closely related to your main topic. This process will help expand your vocabulary over time. Using these words when you write will also make your essay more colorful.
2. Write Topic Sentences
A topic sentence is the first sentence in a paragraph. It summarizes the rest of the paragraph. Topic sentences help students to stay on track when writing an English essay.
3. Present Perspectives
For a longer or more complex essay, outline both sides of the argument before you start writing. When you write the essay, you will need to choose one side to focus on. However, as you prepare, having a side-by-side list of points can be helpful in developing your thesis.
Also, by arguing for the opposite side of your opinion, you will learn which points you need to better address in your essay. You will learn more about the topic, and you will gain more vocabulary words to enrich the essay.
4. Use a Thesaurus and a Dictionary
Before you start using fancy vocabulary in your English essays, be very sure you know what they mean in the context of your essay. This is where a dictionary and a thesaurus can come in handy.
A thesaurus tells you synonyms or words that have the same or a similar meaning to the word you look up in a dictionary. A thesaurus can add some volume to your essay and increase the impact of your words.
5. Review and Rewrite Your Essay
Get your essay reviewed by a friend. Once reviewed and mistakes are marked, rewrite the whole thing. This step is important. Just noting that you made some mistakes will not help you learn how to avoid them in the future.
By rewriting the text of the essay with the corrections in mind, you will teach yourself how to write those sections of the text properly. You will create a memory of using proper grammar or spelling a word correctly. So, you will be more likely to write it correctly next time.
Class 10 English Essay Writing Tips
These are some general essay topics that are most likely to be asked in the Board exam. Some of these essay topics are also picked from past year papers. Students of Class 10 can go through these essay topics to learn the right way of expressing their thoughts to form a perfect essay.
Apart from the CBSE, students of ICSE and other state boards can also use these topics to prepare for their English exam. English online classes in India provide useful resources for learning how to write an effective essay in English.
Essay Topics: Writing Ideas
Usually, 1 essay is asked in the English CBSE Class 10 paper. The essay writing question mainly comes under the writing section and comprises 5 to 10 marks. Have a look at the list of essay topics and easily score high marks in your English exam.
- Essay on Women Empowerment
- Essay on Independence Day
- Essay on Republic Day
- Essay on Constitution of India
- Essay on Importance of Education
- Essay on Social Media
- Essay on Health is Wealth
- Essay on A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed
- Essay on Mobile Phones
- Essay on Corruption
- Essay on Internet Uses For Students
What Makes a Good Essay?
A composition on a particular topic, consisting of more than one paragraph, is an essay. The characteristics of a good essay are:
- Unity: The essay should deal with the main subject and all parts of it should be clearly linked with that subject.
- Coherence: There should be a logical sequence of thought throughout the text of the essay. This requires a logical relationship between ideas, sentences, and paragraphs.
- Relevance: Unimportant information should not be included.
- Proportion: Give more space to important ideas.
Types of Essays
Essays are mainly ways of expressing one’s ideas and thoughts in the form of text. Essays vary in how one narrates a personal experience, describes or explains an issue, or convinces the reader to accept a certain viewpoint. Essays are mainly classified into 4 major types:
- Narrative Essays: While writing a narrative essay, students must consider the topic as if telling a story. Through these essays, they can express themselves in a creative way. These essays are usually written in the first person, so as to engage the readers.
- Descriptive Essays: In a descriptive essay, students have to paint a picture with words. They have to describe something. It can be an object, person, place, experience, emotion, situation, or anything else. These essays allow students a great deal of artistic freedom.
- Expository Essays: An expository essay is an informative piece of writing that presents a balanced analysis of a topic. To write a good expository essay, students need to investigate the topic, evaluate evidence, express the idea, and set forth an argument clearly and concisely. It can be done by comparison and contrast, definition, example, the analysis of cause and effect, etc.
- Persuasive Essays: A persuasive essay is one in which the writer tries to convince the reader to accept his/her viewpoint. It presents all sides of the argument but clearly communicates the writer’s personal opinion.
Find more English speaking course here on Superprof.
Class 12 English Essay Writing Tips
Essay writing can fetch you high scores in the CBSE exam. Here are some things to keep in mind while writing an essay in English for Class 12 students.
- Title: Give your essays an interesting and appropriate title. It will help draw the attention of the reader and pique their curiosity
- Word count: Keep the essay length between 300-500 words. This is the ideal length, but you can take creative license to increase or decrease it
- Simple language: Keep your language simple and crisp. Unnecessary complicated and difficult words break the flow of the sentence.
- Grammar, punctuation, and spelling: Do not make grammar mistakes, use correct punctuation and spelling. If this is not done, it will distract the reader from the content.
- Organization: Before beginning the essay organize your thought and plot a rough draft. This way, you can ensure the story will flow and not be an unorganized mess.
Format of an English Essay
There is no rigid format of an essay. It is a creative process so it should not be confined within boundaries. However, there is a basic structure that is generally followed while writing essays. Let us take a look at the general structure of an essay.
Find more English speaking course online here on Superprof.
This is the first paragraph of your essay. This is where the writer introduces the topic for the very first time, in the form of a clinching statement. You can give a very brief synopsis of your essay in the introductory paragraph. Some paragraph writing skills can be a help here. Generally, it is not very long, about 4-6 lines.
This is the crux of your essay. The body is sandwiched between the introduction and the conclusion. So the most vital and important content of the essay will be here. This need not be confined to one paragraph. It can extend to 2 or more paragraphs, according to the content.
Check out these easy preparation tips for the CBSE English Board exam.
This is the last paragraph of the essay. Sometimes, a conclusion will just mirror the introductory paragraph but make sure the words and syntax are different. A conclusion is also a great place to sum up a story or an argument. You can round up your essay by providing a moral or wrapping up the story. Make sure you complete your essay with the conclusion, without any loose thread!
Find more spoken English classes in Vadodara here on Superprof.
The platform that connects tutors and students