The attractiveness of correct grammar cannot be overstated - Grammarly
There is no denying that communication is key to human interactions. Humans are social animals who cannot live in silos. In order to live in society, you have to interact. And to interact, you need language. You can learn English for any number of reasons - to interact with someone, to use local language when you travel, or to get admission in a top University in the UK. And for this, you can start with basic online English classes.
According to the definition laid out in the Oxford dictionary, communication is an activity or process that is used to express feelings and ideas or to share information. When you are growing up, learning how to communicate is integral to early child development. This later helps you to express yourself appropriately later in life. You will often find English tutor dedicatedly teaching toddlers to lay the foundation of English grammar lessons. And for adults, there are innumerable courses to learn English - either online or through physical classes.
A Brief History of English Grammar
English grammar dates back to the 16th century when William Bullokar published the famous Pamphlet for Grammar. At that time, in order to learn English grammar, you needed to be well-versed with the structure and rules of Latin grammar. In the modern time, phonology was introduced that gave birth the English grammar as you know it today.
Modern English Grammar Lessons
Modern language studies were not formalized before the 19th century. It first happened in continental Europe where historical and comparative linguists took a serious interest in English grammar lessons. In 1832, as part of his extensive research on Indo-European languages, Danish philologist, Rasmus Rask published the Engelsk Formlaere, another important book in the history of English of English grammar. English grammar reached another milestone between 1822 to 1837 when Jacob Grimm of the Brothers Grimm included English grammar as a core chapter in his monumental work on Germanic languages, Deutsche Grammatik.
With the coming of phonology, the regular English class started incorporating spoken English and vocabulary, thereby generating a lot of interest in the study of the structures.
The Importance of English Grammar Lessons
The first thing you learn in an English class is to get your grammar correct. It is the key speaking and writing in English correctly and without any hiccups.
Learning The Right Way
English grammar lessons can prove to be extremely critical in certain life situations. For example, if you are aspiring for a job in an English-speaking country, you would be expected to speak correct English, which basically means using the right words in the right sentences. You can learn to do this through an English language course. Many universities outside India look at your English language score as a selection criterion for admission. So, correct grammar is also an indication of your confidence and overall personality.
English tutors will also teach you to correctly use grammar in your daily life, especially if you are looking to socialize with certain types or groups of people. A recent statistic shows that if you want to increase your chances of getting noticed on online dating apps, you better get your act right when it comes to correct English grammar. Correct grammar is also important to avoid confusions while communicating. Online texting apps can create this confusion. Often, you may type in wrong grammar and it may end up changing the meaning of the message completely.
Rules to Remember When You Learn English Grammar
To help new students learn English, here are the top 5 rules to keep in mind while taking English grammar lessons -
- The Use of Active Voice: You may have heard your English tutors stressing on the importance of active voice. You may use the following formula to remember the right sentence construction - S (Subject) + V (Verb) + O (Object). This means that a sentence should always follow this sequence.
- The Use of Conjunctions: Sometimes you may want to link two sentences in the same sequence using a coordinating conjunction. You can use this formula for that - S+V+O, coordinating conjunction, S+V+O.
- The Use of Comma: Coordinating conjunctions are important to connect two sets of sentences. But it is equally important to place the comma in the right place in a sentence. The comma is used to separate two ideas.
- The Use of Serial Commas: The serial comma is typically used before an "and" in a sentence. It is the most overlooked punctuation in English grammar. It is used to separate units in a sentence.
- The Use of Semicolon: This is the easiest punctuation to use when you want to put two ideas together in one sentence, but distinctly. It is similar but not the same as a coordinating conjunction.
Tips to Improve English Grammar in 2021
English is the easiest language to speak badly - George Bernard Shaw
The level of study will determine the kind of tips you get in an English class to improve your vocabulary and grammar. Tips to improve English grammar in 2021 may vary from where to find the best English tutors to which English class to sign up for. But before going there, there are a few fundamental rules of English grammar that you need to study and get adept at as students.
Rule 1: The Use of Capitalization
There are three fundamental rules when it comes to using the capital letter in the English language:
- At the start of any sentence.
- In a proper noun.
Rule 2: I & Me Can't Be Used Interchangeably
The two words, I and me, may denote the same thing. But in sentence construction, their use is different. And they most definitely can't be used interchangeably.
Rule 3: Do Not Mix Up Your & You're
One is a pronoun. The other a contraction. It is easy to mix them up because they sound exactly the same. But they mean two completely different things.
Rule 4: Differentiate Between Must & Have to
Just like rule # 3, this rule also applies to cater to the subtle difference between these to phrases/words. When you use the word "must", it implies an obligation that needs to be fulfilled. But when you use the latter, then you have a choice.
Rule 5: Check for Subject & Verb Agreement
Another common mistake made by learners and speakers. In a sentence, you must always be careful to check if the subject agrees with the verb. For example, you may say "She loves to travel." But you don't say "They all loves to travel." Instead, you say, "They all love to travel."
Benefits of An Online English Class
If you are looking to learn English in 2021, you don't have to worry too much about signing up for English grammar lessons which require you to go to class regularly. There are many online courses that can help you do that. And they come with the following benefits:
- You can choose the time for the class according to your own convenience.
- You can choose the English tutors based on your needs and assessment.
- You don't have to worry about going to class in the middle of a pandemic and lose out on grades.
- You get to learn from the comfort of your home.
- You get access to peer learning communities.
- You can learn on the go and do not need to wait for live classes always.
- You can access recorded sessions as and when you like.
- You can seek guidance from experts depending on your specific need.
- You can supplement your regular education with an online course to get ahead.
- You can sign up for free demo classes before signing up for the final English class of your choice.
Overall, online English classes are a great and convenient way to master your skills to ensure your learning never stops.
The platform that connects tutors and students