Chess is the gymnasium of the mind. - Blaise Pascal
The beginning of 2020 changed the entire format of a day to day activities as everyone was forced to stay inside in order to remain safe and healthy. What looked like an impossible task in the beginning, instead turned out to be a big blessing for both adults and children, thanks to the Internet and digitisation. The entire education sector shifted its teaching methodology to online classes and lessons. Just as subject lessons started becoming popular, many online platforms realised the gap and connected leisure activities and games in the form of online classes and lessons to reach the adults and kids willing to invest.
Chess, one of the oldest and interesting board games available globally, is no longer limited to the physical board itself. Chess lessons were initially known to be more productive and effective if conducted face-to-face and in person. However now, when the need of the hour has evolved, the availability of chess classes on multiple online mediums has increased significantly. These online game lessons for chess have also increased the supply of chess tutors, not only within the country but also internationally, especially in London.
One such popular online medium is Superprof which is not only beneficial for a Chess tutor to conduct webcam classes, but also allows students to explore and choose the tutor of the choice based on reviews available.
Benefits of Online Chess Classes
- Highly convenient
- Flexible as per your need and requirement
- Can be taken from any part of the world and from any chest tutor around the world the Many options available for chess teachers
- Some of the best chess lessons available online, from the world champion themselves like Garry Karasprov
- Increased learning scope
- Better discipline
- Improved time management
- More focus and attention from the chess teachers and from the students as well.
Tips To Plan Effective Chess Lessons Online
When chess was limited to a mere board game that was to be played in a classroom with fellow students cheering as the audience, the pressure of keeping the students engaged with the chess teacher was relatively low. But now, as chess lessons online are becoming more and more popular for all different age groups, planning the chess lessons in a manner to maximise participation and engagement is a task. This can depend on the age group being targeted by the chess teachers, however, the overall outline would somewhat remain the same for all.
Let us look at some tips to increase the effectiveness of the chess teacher and the chess lessons conducted online.
- Be confident in what you are trying to teach, even if you lack the expertise to build a level of trust between you and the aspiring chess players.
- Remember to begin the chess lessons at a slow pace to allow better and increased understanding. You can do so by first introducing the general chessboard, the different pieces placed on the board, the significance of the black and white squares, the function of each of the pieces individually, etc. And then, you can bring up more elaborate information gradually.
- Teach the students the importance of being calculative and observant about what is happening on the screen to allow them to be able to predict the future moves of their opponent, all through the screen alone. Keep a check that they know how to calculate and then choose the right move ahead.
- Introduce the concept of sportsmanship at the beginning of each lesson by encouraging students to high-five each other through the screens and wish each other good luck before each game. This is important to help the students learn some important life lessons from the chess teacher.
- Recommend the parents to motivate the children to play chess online in order to improve their understanding of the chess lessons being taught. Some of the websites that are user friendly and have multiple different chess games and chess tournaments available includes chess.com, chess24, Lichess, etc.
Important Commandments To Ace Chess Class
The commandments taught during a chess class vary from one chess teacher to another chess teacher as they can be formed and edited, according to the level of expertise of each of the chess coaches conducting the chess class. Let us look at some of the popular commandments that are mostly common to all available chess classes, to help students become professional chess players and play chess like the grandmasters.
- Safeguard the King piece as the top priority
- Ensure equal or similar participation of each of the other pieces available on the board like knights, bishops, rooks, pawns, etc. This will increase the chances of winning for the chess player.
- Chess is also one of the games that have a point system. Ensure all assigned points are well engraved in your head. The current point system is-
- Pawns =1 point
- knight and bishop = 3 points each
- Queen = 9 points
- rook= 5 points.
Please note the king has no points as the endgame is built on this piece.
- The Centre of the board is where the game actually begins so bring all your pieces towards the centre of the chessboard, one step at a time.
- Focus on effective thinking and planning before each move as the game requires calculation and increased observation skills to analyse the future moves of the opponent.
- Whenever you hear “check”, always double-check and see where all you can block to reduce the chances of checkmate.
- Spend time playing and practising chess on other online websites to improve your game strategies and increase your calculation skills while maintaining a poker face.
Qualities Of Online Chess Teacher
An online chess teacher is no different from an off-line teacher, however, the expectations and responsibilities are higher for an online chess teacher, especially today when the demand for chess courses and chess lessons is only increasing. Some of the top qualities of an online chess teacher or chess coach include the following:
- Passion for the game as without it, the chess coaches cannot encourage students to learn and become better at the game.
- Patience, as the game of chess, requires a lot of explanation and thorough understanding which can only be controlled by the chess teacher.
- Critical thinking skills to understand and analyse the mistakes and potential gaps in the games played by each of the students. This is necessary as a chess teacher needs to then focus on the weaknesses.
- Social skills and high emotional intelligence as chess lessons online require increased interactions and high participation from the students. For this, the online chess teacher has to bond with the students and get at par with them to build strong relationships.
Where To Find A Chess Coach Or Course?
As an aspiring chess player, you would want to find the right online chess coach with the best chess lessons, excellent webcam reviews, experienced qualifications, knowledge about chess tactics, etc. Now, because of the increased demand for chess lessons online, it is very important to first understand the level of expertise you wish to achieve to play the game of chess and then decide on which chess tutor fits your needs the most. So, where to find a chess coach or course? Let us find out below:
The ease of the internet has changed the way things work for today’s generation. No matter whether you are looking for subject studies or games, both are available online and as different level courses, to allow each of the students to make the most of the course and become the best chess player amongst their peers.
Luckily, given the COVID-19 situation, the number of online platforms connecting aspiring chess players and chess coaches are plentiful. One such platform is Superprof which bridges the gap by allowing chess teachers and chess coaches to set up their chess lessons online with availability and fee. At times, just coaches also of adults lesson free or kids adults lesson together to appeal to a larger target audience. The best thing about this online platform is that while choosing the super tutor chess after reading about reviews, experience etc., you can explore coach profiles and chess lessons of other countries too like London webcam conducted lessons, experienced chess coach from the USA, etc.
To conclude, right now is the best time to enrol yourself in chess lessons online and learn from experienced chess coaches in your vicinity and globally. Additionally, you can also plan and become a chess teacher in the future after connecting multiple years’ experience for yourself.
Sooner or later, everything will be based on the internet and thus, getting well acquainted with the know-how of the same, while becoming an expert at chess online, is a win-win situation to explore. You can choose from free just lessons as well as reviews based on just coaches, to begin with. Do not wait and go on Superprof to explore the types of courses and the level of expertise required to become a successful chess player of the future.
The platform that connects tutors and students