The game of chess is an ancient one. It is an incredibly fun game to play and is enjoyed by all ages. Chess requires skills and strategy. Although chess has been around for many centuries as a game for intellectuals and scholars, it is a popular game that anyone can play. In this article, you will get to know all there is to learn about chess. Get ready to play one of the best board games in the world.
Teach Yourself Chess
An ideal chess player should be able to control every move on the board and respond to all tactical challenges of the opponent. Beginners can now teach themselves chess thanks to the plethora of relevant resources available online. Interested chess players can also sign up with a private chess coach on learning platforms like Superprof.
Rules of Chess
Chess requires strategy and skills. However, knowledge of some basic rules of the game can help a beginner get started with chess.
- The chessboard consists of 64 squares over 8 horizontal ranks and 8 vertical files.
- Every player has 16 chess pieces – one side White, the other Black.
- These include pawns, knights, bishops, rooks, queens, and kings.
- In total, each side has 8 pawns, 2 rooks, 2 knights, 2 bishops, and a single queen and king.
- The pawns are situated on the second rank in front of the other chess pieces. The rooks sit in the corners; next to them sit the knights, followed by the bishops.
- The queen sits on a square of her own color, and the king stands next to her (white queen on the white square).
Setting Up the Chessboard
The chessboard is the fundamental tool needed for playing chess. It consists of 64 squares over 8 horizontal ranks and 8 vertical files. The horizontal ranks are numbered 1 through 8, while the vertical files are labeled with the letters a to h. A number and a letter (a coordinate) are matched to each of the 64 squares on the chessboard (see diagram).
Every player has an army of 16 chess pieces – one side White, the other Black – at the beginning of a chess game. These include:
- Pawns (foot soldiers)
- Knights (knights on horseback)
- Bishops (look like a bishop’s hat)
- Rooks (castle-like pieces that represent ancient chariots)
- Queens (powerful chess pieces that can dominate the chessboard)
- Kings, who command their armies. The loss of the king signals the end of a chess game.
Value of Chess Pieces
Each piece is assigned a numerical value, based on its perceived strength.
- Pawn: 1 point (or pawn)
- Knight: 3 points
- Bishop: 3 points
- Rook: 5 points
- Queen: 9 points
Learn Chess Moves
- Kings move 1 square in any direction, so long as that square is not attacked by an enemy piece. Additionally, kings are able to make a special move, known as castling.
- Queens move diagonally, horizontally, or vertically any number of squares. They are unable to jump over pieces.
- Rooks move horizontally or vertically any number of squares. They are unable to jump over pieces. Rooks move when the king castles.
- Bishops move diagonally any number of squares. They are unable to jump over pieces.
- Knights move in an ‘L’ shape’: 2 squares in a horizontal or vertical direction, then move 1 square horizontally or vertically. They are the only piece able to jump over other pieces.
- Pawns move vertically forward 1 square, with the option to move 2 squares if they have not yet moved. Pawns capture 1 square diagonally in a forward direction. Pawns are unable to move backward on captures or moves. Upon reaching the other side of the board a pawn can be promoted to any other piece, except for a king. Additionally, pawns can make a special move named en passant.
Best Websites for Learning Chess
Nowadays, it is very easy to learn chess online with a number of websites and phone apps offering tutorials and lessons for aspiring players.
Chess.com offers a range of chess learning resources. The popularity of the website is often attributed to the reviews left by experienced players. Pro chess plates can also find the latest news about chess-related events.
Beginners can find a 7-steps system that will help them grasp the basics of chess. It also provides a quiz at the end for students to check how much they could retain of what they just learned.
The chess game simulation has different levels and beginners are also welcome. The platform offers players the option to play against a computer. One can also find several other resources such as chess puzzles, a complete lesson system including videos, visuals, and articles about chess for beginners.
iChess offers users both free and paid content related to the game of chess. A complete beginner’s guide on chess is available for free! An infographic is also available that gives players a quick overview of beginner strategies in chess. Take advantage of a collection of paid content if you want to start competing at a more professional level.
Find Online Chess Coaches Near Me
A private chess coach can help you improve your game, no matter which level of learning you are at. Check out these awesome online chess courses for beginners.
IchessU is a one-of-its-kind online learning platform that offers fully interactive live chess courses. Experienced chess coaches deliver chess lessons in a classroom setting.
Special teaching methods, based on a proven curriculum, are employed to teach chess. The online chess school teaches chess strategies through interactive lessons. This online chess community also helps players evolve their game to the next level.
Chess for Beginners on Udemy
The beginner's chess course on Udemy is designed to enable an absolute beginner to learn the game in a structured manner. Students at this level can also aspire to reach a level of tournament participation at the completion of the course.
This course is ideal for beginners aged 5 years onwards (parental participation expected). At the end of the course, students would be familiar with:
- Introduction to the chessboard and arranging the pieces
- Introduction to pieces, their values, and movements
- Check, checkmate, and stalemate
- Special moves – castling, pawn promotion (queening and underpromotion), en passant
- Introduction to basic tactical themes like pin, fork, skewer, double attack, back rank mate, discovered attack, destroying the defender, mate in one
- Basic opening tips.
- Standard tricks and traps
- Basic ending techniques.
- Checkmate with queen and rook
- A basic introduction to FIDE tournament rules
- Expert tips on self-study and self-improvement
Benefits of the Course
Students will benefit by:
- Learning the basics of the game in a structured manner.
- Developing a method of thinking.
- Learning from the comfort of their home, the only requirement is a steady internet connection.
- Pacing their learning at their own comfort level.
- Learning as per a flexible schedule.
Cost of Private Chess Lessons
It is popularly believed that chess coaching is expensive. And, it is true, to a large extent. This is because there aren't too many 'expert' chess teachers on the Internet.
The prices for private chess classes are generally based on the experience and level of qualification of the chess tutor. However, most private chess classes are also affordable.
The cost of a private chess class can also depend on the learning level of the student. Kids and beginners are usually at the lower end of the price scale, while intermediate and advanced players can expect to pay more for their private chess coaching.
In India, the costs of private chess lessons can vary from INR 500/hour to INR 3,500 and upwards, depending on what the player is looking to gain out of those lessons.
Free Chess Lessons Online
While it is very easy to find a private chess coach with the help of the Internet and smartphones as 99+% of private chess lessons are conducted via Skype or similar such apps and using any website that supports online chess training, beginners can also get started on their chess training for free!
Supported entirely through donations, Lichess is a free website for playing and learning chess online, Lichess was developed by volunteers as an open-source project. Lichess has a reasonably high-quality matchmaking algorithm, along with a detailed learning section for beginners.
Chess is a lot about your own tactics and the anticipation of the opponent's strategy. However, don't forget to have fun while playing chess. After all, the purpose of any game is to be a good sport!
The platform that connects tutors and students