If the plan doesn't work, change the plan, but never the goal. - Anonymous
A fresher or working professional in a job- every individual needs some career guidance by their side who can help them make important career decisions. Career counselling does just that. A career counsellor is someone who helps you set long-term career goals and also support you with devising scientific plans based on assessments, aptitude, and personality tests. You must be aware of the right set of capabilities, matching interests, skills, and educational requirements in order to find the right job for yourself. A career counsellor can play the role of a guide in that aspect.
In India, counsellors and counseling programs are available in plenty. Especially if you have a degree in Psychology, finding the right counseling program for yourself isn't that difficult. University students who are fresh out of college can start applying for counselor jobs during their Master's program. You can even become a counselor without a formal degree in Psychology. Many counselors practice as professional career guides with a basic college education, but with vast work experience. But it is important to note that the type of counselling you choose determines the course or certification program you should go after. Your clients need to trust you based on either your educational degrees or accreditations.
What are the Different Types of Career Counsellors?
Certified career counselors are often attributed with the credit of kickstarting some great careers. But beware of false career advisors who pose as career development guides with the sole purpose of wasting your time and money. Here are the most common types of career counsellors you will find in the market.
Counseling Services Based on Approach
Based on the type of approach adopted by the counsellor, there can be three different types:
This type of counseling is driven by the counselor. It focuses on the intellectual aspects of counselling and was pioneered by E.G. Williamson.
Carl C. Rogers is considered a pioneer in this type of counseling which focuses on the emotional needs of clients.
A combined approach of the first two types, this type of counseling was pioneered by Throne. Here the counselor is neither active nor passive and the sessions are usually emergent.
Counseling Types Based on Time
The time invested in the counselling intervention also determines the type.
You can use short-term counseling for situational issues. These last for 12 sessions or less.
Highly skilled counselors are required for this type of counseling that deals with serious, persistent, and long-term issues like mental health problems.
Counselling Types Based on Number of Clients
You can use a couple of options to design your interventions based on the number of counselees.
As the name suggests, it is one-on-one counselling that focuses the entire counsellor attention on one client and her needs.
Mostly activity-based, this type of counseling engages multiple participants in one session and facilitates peer learning.
Types of Counselling Based on Training Need
Based on the type of need expressed for counseling, there can be three types.
Usually performed by a school counselor, this type of counselling involves helping students with their college and university applications, identifying the next step for higher education, etc.
A vocational counselor concerns herself with the assessment of a student's aptitude and skills. This, in turn, is used for matching with prospective jobs or universities.
As a placement counselor, your role is to match the right candidates with the right job. You will have to design a process that involves a series of steps to test a candidate's aptitude, personality, capabilities, and skills.
Why is Career Counselling Important?
Most aspiring job seekers want guidance and advice on their career choices and career planning. Whether you seek a professional or an elder at home is completely your choice. But of course, there are experts available for a reason.
Significance of Career Counseling
If you want to know why is career counselling important, you should consider the following factors:
- Informed Career Choices: Getting an expert to do your career assessment helps you avoid taking unnecessary risks on your career growth path. It helps you boost your morale and guides you in the right direction.
- Higher Chance of Job Satisfaction: The chances of you dropping out of a job secured through career counseling and guidance, are close to being null. Career counselors are experts at matching your skills with the right jobs.
- Access Helpful Resources: Career coaches and counselors can give you access to useful job-related information that is not easily available online.
- Confidence Booster: Career counseling interventions are designed to uplift your morale so you may perform better in your interview and get your dream job.
- Builds Focus and Attention: Career advice from experts can focus your attention on what's important and filter out unwanted distractions during your job search.
Question Your Counsellor
As a job seeker, it is your right to ask questions when you seek expert advice. Here is a guide on what could be possible queries you can raise with your career counsellor:
- What is the best job available in the market for me?
- What are the possible job strategies for me?
- What resources can I get to build my knowledge about the job market?
- What are the skills I need to build?
- When is a good time to seek a job change?
- What are my chances of being promoted to a new role?
These questions will help you build clarity and arrive at a decision. It will significantly reduce your chances of risking your career by bringing down your doubts to null.
Who Can Become A Career Counsellor?
Multi-tasking is really just task-shifting. - Anonymous.
Multi-tasking is a myth. While that is true, this is also a fact that expert career counselors are great at managing multiple tasks simultaneously. To answer the question about who can become a career counsellor, you can start with understanding the basic requirements in terms of your education.
To start practicing as a career counselor, you need to have a basic undergraduate degree. It doesn't necessarily have to be in Psychology for this type of counseling, but it is definitely an added advantage. In India, most career counselors are individuals who worked for a few years, gained experience in an industry over time, and then made a move to this domain.
In addition to your education and work experience, it is recommended that you get a valid accreditation from a recognized body. In India, the Career Counselling Psychology Association of India is the apex body that is concerned with this kind of affiliations and accreditations.
Skills Required to Become A Career Counselor
All said and done, you need to master a few skills to establish yourself as a trusted career counselor. These include:
- Effective communication.
- Excellent public speaking.
- Great interpersonal skills.
- Awareness of online media.
- Organization skills.
- Socio-emotional skills.
What is the Global Career Counselling Certification Program?
The Global Career Counselling Certification Program is the leading online career counsellor program in India. It is the only program that is recognized by UCLA Extension and has a global affiliation. Its core components include:
- Blended learning curriculum.
- Exposure to real-time counseling.
- Familiarity with counseling tools and techniques.
- Regular workshops and webinars.
- Real-time industry exposure.
The program is divided into a six-step journey that includes:
- A one-hour orientation session.
- 25 hours of counsellor training modules and assessments.
- 1 hour of live interactive learning with experts.
- 15 hours of college planning techniques.
- 2 hours of online real-life case studies.
- 4 hours of expert-led workshops.
- Optional specialization sessions of 4 hours each.
The program ends with a recognition and convocation ceremony that sets you off on your way to becoming a successful career counselor.
As you can see, the prospects of a career in career counseling are limitless. So, what are you waiting for? Get ready to inspire lives and impact positive change in people's careers.