Law aspirants who seek to pursue their legal studies outside India can definitely consider Australia as a destination. It has some of the top law schools in the world, which are highly rated for their academic delivery, research initiatives, and student exchange programs. Hands-on training via internships, volunteering services, research-based assignments, and a lot more make these programs highly effective. These help students to develop a professional attitude and also give them the opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge acquired in the classroom to solve practical real-life problems.
While short-listing law schools whether, in Asia, UK, Europe, or the US, their ranking is not the only thing to consider. Faculty, alumni, career services, campus life, research opportunities, scholarships, and academic infrastructure are equally important parameters. Undoubtedly, Australian universities offer world-class education in legal studies. International exposure form an integral part of their programs which helps in elevating the overall learning experience. Listed below are the best law colleges in Australia and the reasons that make their undergraduate and postgraduate programs top class.
Melbourne Law School
The Melbourne Law School under the Univerity of Melbourne has been consistently securing the top position among the best law colleges in Australia year after year. The QS World University Rankings 2021 ranked it as the No. 1 law school in Australia and No. 11 in the world.
It offers Melbourne JD (Juris Doctor), Melbourne Law Masters, and Graduate Research Degrees. The Law Masters program is considered among the top LLM programs in Australia and is also internationally recognized. Here are the top reasons for joining Melbourne Law School for aspiring law students:
- It has 20, 000 alumni who are working across the globe in over 90 countries as leaders in judiciary, law firms, government, academia, private and social sector.
- Apart from 90 permanent staff members, it has more than 150 visiting lecturers from all over Australia and abroad.
- The law school library at the University of Melbourne is the best in Australia with a very rich collection of legal texts which students can access to enhance their knowledge.
- Melbourne Law School hosts multiple, workshops, seminars, conferences, and networking events all year round to create learning opportunities beyond the classroom for students.
- Apart from teaching legal programs, it is heavily invested in research that highlights the school’s pursuit of academic excellence.
- JD students at Melbourne Law School can participate in exchange programs, apply for an international internship during their degrees and undertake a dual degree at one of their partnered universities overseas.
The University of New South Wales
Located in Sydney's eastern suburbs and a few minutes away from the main city, the university is a highly sought-after destination for those who wish to pursue a program in legal studies. It offers Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Juris Doctor(JD), Masters of Laws (LLM)
and Higher Degree Research Programs.
The University of New South Wales has the 2nd best Law Faculty in Australia, according to QS Top Universities Rankings 2021.QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021 also ranks UNSW Law School as 13th in the world. Here are the top reasons for applying to UNSW law school:
- Interactive seminar-style classes to encourage students to actively participate in learning.
- UNSW offers experiential learning through a wide range of clinic and internship opportunities to students which inculcates a professional outlook in them.
- The faculty comprises former judges, industry professionals, international scholars, and award-winning lecturers.
- A blended mode of academic delivery is provided: high-quality online learning experiences integrating innovative, rich, dynamic, multimedia content along with face-to-face classroom sessions.
- Scholarships and financial grants are offered to both international and local students to encourage them in their pursuit of academic excellence.
- There is a dedicated career services team on campus to assist students in maximizing their employability quotient in their chosen career path.
- Students have the option to acquire an international mobility experience through a student exchange program, by opting for overseas elective courses in leading partner institutes abroad or through an overseas internship program. UNSW Law School has partnered with over 80 international law schools, including King’s College London, University of California Hastings College of the Law, University of British Columbia, Tsinghua University, and Sciences Po University.
The University of Sydney Law School
Sydney Law School has more than 160 years of legacy. According to QS Top Universities Rankings 2021, it has the 3rd best Law Faculty in Australia. It offers Bachelor of Laws, Juris Doctor, Law Masters, and Postgraduate Research programs. There's a huge incentive in the form of scholarships worth $500,000 which students can apply for. The top reasons for studying law at this school are:
- Overseas exchange opportunities offer an exciting opportunity to study a semester abroad. Cornell University, Harvard University, Trinity College, University of Vienna are among the 40 universities which are Sydney Law School exchange partners.
- Offshore study opportunities allow students to undertake a selected range of elective units of study in prestigious universities
in Europe and Asia.
- Law clinics at the University of Sydney Law School ensure students get to work with partner community legal centers and other social justice organizations where they can apply classroom knowledge to real-world issues.
- For a semester, or intensively in summer and winter, students work on projects in partnership with business, the public sector, and community organizations.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in a range of law mooting competitions that provide them with a taste of what it is like to engage in court proceedings.
- Students are encouraged to volunteer for conducting legal research on behalf of NGOs and public agencies.
- Sydney Law School's collaboration with the University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, and the National University of Singapore provide LLB and JD students with the opportunity to complete their final semester abroad and fast-track into a postgraduate master's in one of these leading law schools.
- The teaching staff comprises acclaimed educators, renowned practitioners. international scholars and judicial leaders.
- Legal research at the university is held in high regard.
Australian National University
Located in Canberra, the ANU College of Law has the 4th best Law Faculty in Australia, according to QS Top Universities Rankings 2021. QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021 also ranks ANU Law School as 17th in the world. Anu offers a Bachelor of Laws(Honours), Juris Doctor, Master of Laws, Master of International Law and Diplomacy, Master of Financial Management and Law, higher degree research programs, and professional development courses. Here's why law aspirants might want to apply to ANU:
- The Global Exchange Program enables current ANU LLB (Hons) and JD students to study for a semester at an ANU exchange partner
- Students are trained and encouraged to participate in national and international competitions that help them to develop research, communication, and legal advocacy skills.
- Clinical courses provide opportunities to engage with real clients, work on their problems, and meet deadlines in a real-world environment.
- Internships to gain hands-on training are available within a variety of organizations, government agencies, and non-government organizations.
- The ANU Careers Office helps students make a smooth transition into their jobs.
- The college provides a Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL) program to help first-year law students to learn and practice foundational legal skills they will need for the rest of their law degree from senior students.
The Faculty of Law at Monash University is the 5th best in Australia according to QS Top Universities Rankings 2021. It offers undergraduate degree and postgraduate degrees such as a Bachelor of Laws (Honours), Bachelor of Laws (Honours) double degree, Juris Doctor, Master of Law, Master of Legal Studies, and Clinical Legal Education as well as research degrees. It is located in Clayton, Victoria and is among the top choices for law students for the following reasons:
- Monash Law students have the opportunity to study a selection of elective subjects in semesters 1 and 2 with an international and comparative law focus at the Monash Prato Centre in Italy and the Monash Malaysia campus in Kuala Lumpur.
- The Law Faculty offers a range of Faculty Organised International Placements as well as supporting Student Organised International Placements.
- The Faculty of Law offers the opportunity to study a higher degree program to existing students at the University of Cambridge or the University of Oxford.
- Exchange agreements with over 160 partner institutions in more than 35 countries across the UK, Europe, the Americas, the Middle East, Oceania, and Asia, allow students to study 1 or 2 semesters abroad.
- Monash law clinics provide students the opportunity to conduct legal work under the guidance of expert supervisors on behalf of real clients.
The other institutes in the list of top 10 law schools in Australia include the University of Queensland (UQ) - TC Beirne School of Law, The University of Western Australia (UWA), University of Adelaide - Adelaide Law School, Queensland University of Technology (QUT) and the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS). In a globalized world, lawyers have to increasingly deal with transnational legal issues. So it's imperative that their education gives them adequate international exposure during their course of study. This coupled with experiential learning through activities, workshops, internships, and more is needed to groom them into thorough professionals, ready to practice law. In Australia, the law colleges take adequate care to ensure all these requirements are met to turn graduates into competent lawyers.
The platform that connects tutors and students