As you are aware of all the language aspects of French, you must be so thrilled to live in the Swiss neighbourhood. But, wait, is it that easy? No, not at all. If you are thinking that learning or mastering the language will give you the permit to live in France, you are mistaken.
The permit to live in France is a complicated process for a foreign citizen. There are a number of aspects that the permit or citizenship application includes. In this article, we will help you understand the requirements that you need to fulfil to get citizenship in a foreign country.
We will also drill down ways that can help you be a part of the French nationality. Other than that, you will also get information about the benefits of living in France as a resident. So, let’s get started!
How can you obtain French Citizenship?
If we filter out the genuine ways of becoming a French citizen, there are three of them:
- The best way to be a French citizen is to be born in a foreign country, France, in this case.
- Secondly, if any one of your parents is a citizen of France, you will automatically gain the permanent residency or nationality of France.
- If you are not born in France, no issues. You can still be a part of the French nationality if you get married to a French citizen and start a family together.
- If you have resided in France for five years at a permanent address, you can apply for citizenship.
- One last way to be a part of the residential community of France is via your children or grandchildren.
French Nationality Requirements: In-Depth Review
Now, as you have studied the overview of how to become a French citizen, you also need to know these conditions come with a lot of minor details, let us discuss those details here.
- So the first condition says that if you are born in the country, you are a citizen of France. To further break it down, you will only gain the citizenship of France if you are born there and meet at least one of the mentioned conditions:
- You are born in the country and have lived there since the age of 8 years. You can get the citizenship of France by the time you are 13. This time period of living makes 5 years so you can get your citizenship at 13.
- Your birthplace is France, and you are 16 years of age right now. You have been living here since the age of 11 and have spent 5 consecutive or non-consecutive years. You will get your citizenship at 18.
- You have lived in a foreign country for 5 years since you turned 11, you will officially be a part of French nationality at 18.
These are the scenarios in which you are born in France and be a permanent citizen there.
- Even if you are not born in France, but you are born to those who are citizens of France, you are entitled to the citizenship of France by default. However, your parents have to provide some paperwork for that.
- It is important for your parents to provide your birth certificate with the name of the parents on it and their proof of citizenship. In this case, even if your one parent is from France, you will get the nationality of your parents.
- The third-in-line scenario where you can easily acquire French citizenship is by having your marriage with someone who is from France. This is a method that comes under naturalization and is a bit tricky as it has many details to follow. Being an Indian, this is the best way to acquire French citizenship. Here are some of the conditions that you need to follow:
- You need to be married to your spouse for at least four years before becoming a French citizen.
- Your spouse should be a citizen of France at the time of your marriage.
- You should have a legal document as a proof of you being a part of the French community (entirely or frequently) like a residence card.
- In case you are married outside France, you need to get your marriage certificate transcribed in the civil registry of France.
- Your spouse should be registered as an expatriate if you are living outside of France.
Other than these, you should not have a criminal record; you should be living in France with your spouse. Also, make sure that you have not been deported from France, or your spouse has not let go of citizenship in the marriage period. Learn about foundational French History here!
In the worst-case scenario, if your spouse hasn’t registered as an expatriate or the time of your residence is not at least 3 years, you can not apply for naturalization for the next 5 years.
- The last way to be naturalized as a French citizen is if you have your children or grandchildren living in France. Obviously, you will be old in this scenario but still can acquire permanent resident status. For that:
- You need to be over 65 years of age.
- Should be living in France for the period of 25 years or above.
- You have to be the direct ancestor of your child or grandchild, who is a French citizen.
- You should not have a criminal record.
Fulfilling these conditions will make you a part of the French culture easily.
How can you apply for French citizenship?
To get the French resident permit, it is necessary for you to deposit some paperwork to the government of the country. It will cost you around 55€, and you will require the following documents:
- Find out which 'préfecture' processes naturalisation papers in your department.
- Take a copy of cerfa n°12753*02 form and fill it out.
- Attach the proof of information like marriage certificate, birth certificate, residence and work permit information.
- Decide if you want to make your name gallicised or not.
Study about the philosophers of French!
If everything is accepted as required, you will be notified via post. The application takes some time to process. If in that duration any changes occur, you need to inform the authorities. If your application gets rejected, you can appeal after two months.
Moreover, to be a citizen of France, you need to appear in an interview and also have to attempt a test. And believe me, it is not at all a walk in a park for you. For that, you need to prepare yourself pretty well.
How can you get a long term stay visa for France or French citizenship?
Well, if you have thought of being a French national. Here is what you need to do to become one:
- Just like the other people of France, make sure you have all the certificate and documents ready. Apart from the documents mentioned above, do have the certificate of naturalization if you are marrying a person of France.
- Consult the right people to get help like asking for what to do and what to present before the authorities. These can be a local prefecture.
- Mastering the French language is the most crucial aspect of becoming a resident of France. So, be top-notch in it.
- Lastly, be absolutely patient. Living abroad is not an easy road. It takes a lot of time for the authorities to process your file. Hence, you need to have patience before you get citizenship.
Learn about some famous French celebrities here!
How can Superprof help you?
If your major motive right now is to live abroad (In France), there are many ways Superprof can help you.
First off, Spoken French required by the test is high, plus, students or adults would also have to prepare well for the interview. So, it is necessary to go on the website of Superprof and start looking for a tutor.
A tutor can help you in a better way as compared to the other online sources like videos and books. Even if you want to apply for dual citizenship or residency, then also a tutor can assist you. When you register on the website, you will get to know the scope and level of teachers. Here are some French etiquette that you may learn with Superprof tutors.
To make it easy for you to get the permit of living in France, Superprof provides you state of the art training. You can choose from a number of tutors. Moreover, to find the right one easily, you can take a free demo class. In that, you can understand the way of teaching and decide better.
France is a great nation, and its citizens are even better, so it is necessary for you to be the best before you take your passport and apply for citizenship. The new law and order are strict, plus, there are many festivities to celebrate all around the year. Hence, if you get the privilege to be a citizen of France, take it!
The platform that connects tutors and students