Linkedin is a social media platform where you connect with professionals. It is a powerful tool you can use to find your dream job. All you have to do is create a strong profile.
So, people from your field can search and offer jobs to you rather than you searching for jobs.
Linkedin feed is just like facebook’s feed. You will get to know about who has messaged you, LinkedIn jobs post, information published by companies and connections, some old colleagues joining a new company, and news about some companies in the feed. Since LinkedIn is a professional network, the information on this platform is educational and beneficial for your career.
Your LinkedIn feed is determined by your connections and following companies on LinkedIn. You can get job postings on your feed if connected to the right people. In this article, we are going to learn about LinkedIn and how to use LinkedIn for job search.
How to use LinkedIn for Job Search?
LinkedIn is used in approx 200 countries around the world. Around 90% of recruiters find suitable candidates from LinkedIn.
Subscription for Job Alert
You can make the best use of LinkedIn if you optimize your profile in the right manner. There are several jobs posted on LinkedIn. So, subscribe to job alerts to get notifications every time there are new job openings. Moreover, you can also apply for internships on LinkedIn if you are in your final year.
In case you are a student or a fresher and want to prepare for interviews, you can click on the job tab and then click on interview preparation. You will find the most common questions asked by recruiters and their answers.
Send connection requests from your field to increase the chances of getting a job in your field. Suppose you are in the bank industry and want to search for more jobs in the same industry. You have to establish connections in the banking industry because knowing one person helps to send more connection requests in the industry.
Hence, in this way, you will build your network. However, the other person has to accept your connection request to build connections. If you want to get more features, you can subscribe to their premium. It gives you access to see more profiles on search, expanded profiles on LinkedIn, premium search filters, and save search alerts and InMail messages.
Top pro tips for LinkedIn
Here are the most useful Tips for LinkedIn users.
- You should upload relevant and quality content on LinkedIn. It will get added to your activities section. For example, if you are a marketing strategist, you can post educational content on marketing that can help other marketers and add value to your network or if you are a finance influencer, you can share educational content related to personal finance, investing, etc.
- Use the right cover photo that describes your work or is related to the industry you are working in. For example, if you are working in the marketing industry, you can use marketing-related covers. This helps to create a professional look and your industry inclination will be known at first.
- Draft your headline carefully. you can describe yourself in facts, and add strong educational institutes in the headline section. it is your first impression because it is the first thing people see. For example, if you have a certain number of followers on LinkedIn or Youtube then you can add them in the headline section. Or suppose you are working at a big MNC, you can add that in your headline.
- Keep posting about the new skill you have added to your skillset or certification. Linkedin offers various learning courses that can help you to develop your skill. Some of the popular learning courses are communication with confidence, Goal setting: Objectives and key results, Excel Essential Training (Office 365/Microsoft 365), Project management foundation, Learning python, etc.
- Add your strengths, unique selling points, and what makes you different from others.
- Update your contact information so that people can reach out to you. Provide various ways to contact such as email ID, phone number, or website to get opportunities.
- Write a good profile summary in the about section on Linkedin. It should include your education, skills, experience, work, how your work adds value to the world, and other relevant information. Also, you can write about your journey in an interesting way. Your profile summary is the most important thing recruiters look at. Make sure to write the profile summary in the first person and it should be more than 50 words.
- Add the courses you have taken and projects.
- Try to get endorsements for your skills from your employers, colleagues, and friends to add credibility. You can get endorsements from your connections if they think that you are good at the skills you have listed.
- Share your achievements and success to sell yourself. For example, if you receive an award or got a high mark on an assignment then share it on LinkedIn. You can also share the challenges and failures you have faced to achieve your goals. Update your LinkedIn profile frequently.
How to Build Your LinkedIn Network
So, if you have been using LinkedIn for months now and still don’t know How to build your LinkedIn network, then here is all you need to know. LinkedIn allows you to connect with people from your industry, anyone you have worked with, friends, former employers, etc. you can send connection requests to someone you don't know if you think that you both share similar interests. However, write a short message on why you want to connect with them while sending connection requests. You can join LinkedIn groups that are related to your work.
Building Profile Via Online Resume
Currently, the Linkedin profile has become an online resume. It includes all the things you have done. Whenever someone searches for you or you send a connection request to someone, the first thing they are going to do is see your profile. The profile helps them to decide whether they should accept your request or not. Therefore, making a good LinkedIn profile is important to build a network.
A good profile will give you a lot of opportunities. However, one thing you need to keep in mind is not to provide wrong information about yourself. Whenever you view the profile of a person on LinkedIn, the person gets notified that you have viewed their profile. Similarly, you will also receive notifications whenever someone else views your profile. However, you have the option to disable this in the privacy settings.
Some tips you can follow to build your LinkedIn network:
- Complete your profile and optimize it
- Garner connections with the people you know
- Be active and post content regularly
- Try to get as many endorsements from your connections
- Promote your LinkedIn profile.
Benefits of LinkedIn Networking
Recruiters will ask you to join their companies if you build a good network on LinkedIn. You will receive requests from recruiters and company managers which will open up new doors for you. Also, you can get fresh ideas from your network as this platform allows you to share your perspectives, challenges, and ideas.
It will strengthen your relationships with other networks and businesses as you engage with your connection's posts regularly. Hence, the platform helps one another to achieve their goals. Moreover, you can learn how they created their profile, what career path they opted and which companies they have worked with.
Multiple Work Scope for All
Good LinkedIn networking increases the visibility of your profile. Hence, you get noticed by the top recruiters which helps you to advance in your career. You will get freelancing projects on your LinkedIn feeds. This allows you to earn extra income if you have skills such as creative writing, digital marketing, graphic designing, web designing, copywriting, SEO, photography, video editing, ghostwriting, web development, etc.
How to Apply on LinkedIn for Jobs?
There are many LinkedIn users who want to know how to get a job via LinkedIn. Are you also asking the same questions about how to apply on LinkedIn for jobs? Here are the steps you can follow.
- Click on the jobs. You will find a search bar to find your next job. Search by title, skill, or company and city where you want to work.
- You can filter your search by adding companies, job types, experience levels, and locations.
- You will find results based on your requirements. Make sure to read the job description, pay scale, and skills required before applying for the job.
- While applying for jobs, you will be asked to provide your email address, phone number, updated resume, level of proficiency in English, years of experience, current CTC, and expected CTC.
- You can opt for an easy application on LinkedIn to save time.
- Recruiters spend 10 to 15 seconds reviewing resumes or CVs. so, make sure to build your resume carefully and include all the relevant information that will impress them. Moreover, you can also add a cover letter while applying for jobs.
- You can follow companies where you want to work in. so that whenever they post anything, it would be visible in your feed.
- You need to keep applying for several jobs every day to get hired soon because several things can go wrong such as a company may change their requirement, holding off their requirement, or changing their mind. Hence, finding a job requires a lot of effort and time.
Now that you know how to use LinkedIn and its benefits, open your Linkedin account today to find your dream job. It gives you employment opportunities and a chance to connect with businesses directly.
The platform that connects tutors and students