A self-taught singer is the one who learns to sing without the help of a singing teacher. Being self-taught in singing is not an easy matter. You have to go through rigorous disciplined exercises and training to achieve the right technique of singing. Most people fail to keep up with their routine when on it and hence go looking for a teacher.
A singing tutor does not only teach how to sing melodiously but as a vocal coach, he gives you the right lessons to increase the dynamics of your vocal qualities so that you can sing in a versatile manner. Apart from this, you can also learn from him about music theory as well as other nuances of the subject.
But if you are determined to learn on your own, it can be managed. Getting the right singing course can help you to understand the basics at least.
Singers like Georges Brassens, Kishore Kumar and even Eminem are self-taught singers who have had little to no training from tutors.
In order to learn to sing you have to follow certain exercises and maintain good health. Determination is also an important thing to note there. It often happens that after a week or two, learners cannot keep up with their made-up regime. So, once you have decided to learn to sing, you should go to the end or leave immediately.
However, if you manage to live up to your expectations, you can even open a YouTube channel and show your talent in the performance arts to the world. With the right luck, maybe some music company will sign you on a contract. You can even become a singing tutor yourself and teach young students the Dos and Don'ts of singing exercises you learned from your own experience.
If nothing else, you will at least have the assurance that you learnt on your own without having to spend a good amount of money on a teacher.
How To Learn To Sing?
There are some exercises and tips you can follow to learn to sing well. They are as follows:
- Breathing Exercises: Start with breathing exercises as they will give you better control over your voice and pitch. Inhale and exhale deeply. Let the air go right into your diaphragm. Repeat this process for 5-10 minutes daily.
- Warm-Up: Warming up your vocal cord is important prior to sing as it will make the muscle around your throat more flexible and thus make it enhanced for singing. You can warm up by humming in high and low notes.
- Drink Water: The key to be a good singer is to remain hydrated. Drink lukewarm water as it is more effective in relaxing your vocal cord.
- Simultaneous Singing: What is meant by simultaneous singing is that you should test your pitch by singing along a recorded song. You can use a voice recorder to do this. Start your voice recorder as well as the song on your mobile phone. Then sing along with the song simultaneously. Once you are done, compare your voice with the actual song. This will be your own vocal coaching.
- Work On Elocution: How you pronounce the words in a song is also quite important. In order to sing a song well, you have to be capable enough to moderate your elocution accordingly or else the effect of the song will be lost.
- Learn About Your Range: Range is the measurement of pitches in a song between the highest and lowest notes you can sing. With the help of musical scales, check out the highest and the lowest notes which are quite difficult for you to sing. This will give you an idea about your range.
- Practice Daily: It goes without saying that practice is the key to perfection. Whether you are under a tutor or learning by yourself, practice is one thing you just simply cannot give up on. The more you practice the better are your chances of doing well in your singing.
The Singing Course Near Me Option
What is meant by the “singing course near me” option is that you can learn to sing by following the courses which are easily available near you whether in some book form or online. There are various tools to guide you through this self-learning course. In fact, you can even make a course for yourself by taking bits and pieces of important lessons.
Here are some of the things you can do to learn singing by yourself.
The first major free source which you easily get is Youtube itself. Youtube can be a really great tool if you want to learn singing on your own. From vocal exercises to music theory to performances of musical theatre you can find everything on Youtube. Keep scrolling through different videos and try to imitate the exercises or write down a lesson that you think might be important.
For music theory, online articles can be a real help. Many professional singing teachers write blogs and articles on music theory. You can always check them out to increase your knowledge. Moreover, music is not just about practical learning, you should try to learn as much as you can about different cultures, their forms of music and the significance such songs have in their tradition.
There are several books available on singers and singing. Read from them to get major tips about singing. By doing so, you will be saving your time and helping yourself in not repeating the same mistakes many self-taught singers initially made.
Explore Your Voice
There is no point in learning on your own if you do not keep doing new experiments with your voice. Keep trying different pitches, tones and elocutions to see how they come out. You can use a voice recorder to note the subtleties of your voice with more clarity.
Help From Bollywood Music Online
One of the greatest sources of music available to you is Bollywood itself. Classical music is something that requires high diligence and expertise. It is recommended to get a trainer for that. But Bollywood offers loads of commercial songs which may not require as much effort. So you can always start by listening to Bollywood music online. There are many audio platforms like-
- Hungama Music
- Amazon Prime Music
- Youtube Music
By getting a subscription to any of them you can rehearse better as the sound quality is top-notch on these audio platforms. In fact, some of them even offer karaoke music for you to practice singing even more efficiently.
Online Bollywood Classes To Help You
There are several online Bollywood classes on Youtube and other video and audio platforms where Bollywood singers give tips and tutorial classes. This is technically not a singing class as you do not get a tutor with whom you can communicate and clear your doubts. It is more of like important lessons these Bollywood singers learned about music through their journey and they share the same with you.
In these classes, your objective will be to learn not just singing but the very body language which goes into making a professional Bollywood playback singer. Although the lessons you will get from here will be quite generalised, it is always better to take experience lessons from the experts.
How To Learn Singing In India?
Once you realise that you have learnt more than the basics from singing, you can build upon that knowledge with the help of a professional. Singing tutors can give you a superior vocal technique that compliments your elementary musical knowledge.
Wanting to know how to learn singing in India? Here is the answer to that: you can either join a music school or get a tutor for private singing lessons.
Some of the best music schools in the country are as follows:
- Shankar Mahadevan Academy
- The Calcutta School of Music
- KM Music Conservatory
- Swarnabhoomi Academy of Music
- Delhi School of Music
However, if you plan to get the help of a singing teacher you can easily get one with the assistance of Superprof.
Superprof is one such online platform where teachers and students can directly communicate with each other. Superprof has a simple interface for you to easily search for the teacher of your choice. For instance, if you are looking for a singing tutor, all you will have to do is to provide the name of the subject (singing, in this case) and your area pin code or the name of your city. A comprehensive list of all the available teachers will show up on your screen.
Along with the teacher’s profile, you can also see other relevant information such as his brief bio, qualification, teaching methodology, fee and specialisation. Based on your compatibility, you can choose the right tutor for yourself. You will also get the option of choosing between getting offline or online singing classes as well.