To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance. - Oscar Wilde
To develop a personal development plan is to support yourself in the pursuit of happiness and success. The task is not easy, but you can find support through personal development blogs, apps, books, and other resources that provide a great deal of information on how to draft and execute a personal development plan. Be it in the field of professional development or working on your self-awareness or time management skills, you can find a variety of ways in which to plan your development.
From practicing mindfulness to mastering professional skills, here is a guide on what resources can help you start your journey.
What Are Personal Development Plans and Skills?
The discourse on personal growth and skills development has changed significantly over the last decade or so. There are so many development resources available online for free that anyone can embark on a life-changing journey by themselves, provided they have the right motivation to see things through. Today, the average youth is talking about life-changing decision-making that has also been a contributing factor to the increasing number of life coaches and meditation gurus. The main reason why self-help has become so popular today is due, in large part, because of the various ways it has redefined itself.
Self-improvement can affect your everything- your personality, interview skills, effective communication skills, and interpersonal skills, including conflict resolution. And these only form the tip of the iceberg.
What is Personal Development?
The personal development arena includes a whole gamut of things like self-improvement, self-care, self-growth, self-growth, and so on and so forth. This domain is concerned with teaching you those skills, training you on those aspects, and facilitating learning experiences to improve your overall quality of life.
There is no one single definition of personal development, although several psychologists have tried to pinpoint what it exactly entails. One classic theory comes from psychologist Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. It includes five levels of human needs, each level representing a set of needs that start with the very basic such as safety, security, and love and progresses to higher-order needs such as esteem and self-actualization.
It is the need for self-actualization that constitutes an aspiration for self-improvement and personal development. These include skills like,
- Leadership skills.
- Effective communication.
- Interpersonal skills
This theory highlights the important fact that the combination of social solidarity and economic security form a vital basis for strong, talented communities. So, you can read hundreds of personal development books and yet not get anywhere until you have assessed which level of your needs need to be taken care of.
You will receive many ideas and suggestions offering solutions to challenges like employability or interpersonal skills, but if you carefully read the studies and research findings, you will understand that personal development is much more complex than may appear. However, there are now easily accessible resources that can help you unravel this mystery. Unlike in the past, where you had to shell out tons of money to access self-development articles and books, things are now much easier thanks to the internet.
It is, however, important to be mindful of the fact that the process of self-development involves much more than following inspirational posts on social media about self-care. They could be a great starting point but all of them would ask you to make significant lifestyle changes in order to grow as a person.
Useful Tips on Accessing the Best Personal Development Resources
You might feel lost in the middle of a sea of resources that are available for self-improvement and personal development. But there is nothing to be scared of. Just like you go through gradually increasing difficulty levels in education, here also, there are ways to help you start with what you know and then jump into the unknown.
Based on the assessment of the different skills that one needs to progress in life, you can look for resources archived under three broad categories of skill development.
Investing in self-development will inevitably lead to career advancement in the long-run. This is backed up by the underlying foundation and framework of any development plan which revolves around the five steps of planning-
- Goal setting and need assessment.
- Prioritizing needs.
- Developing the plan.
- Implementing the plan.
- Evaluating the plan.
To enhance your professional skills, you can take development courses to improve technical skills like programming or business analytics. You can also focus on building soft skills around improving the rapport between you and your manager or even your presentation skills. Remember to keep adding to your list of transferable skills.
You can also engage in training for other skills like running a marathon or set small goals like going through 5 podcasts in a month, which can have spillover effects in your professional life.
The world is in peril. It needs people who are smart, yet sensitive, competitive yet kind. This creates the need to have a personal development plan.
Developing your interpersonal skills often boils down to honing your skills in two spheres- mental and physical well-being. And there are so many different activities you can engage in daily or monthly or yearly that can help improve your skills in these two areas. The following gives you an idea of such activities:
- Fitness coaching.
- Meditative practices.
- Joining community support groups.
- Pursuing your hobbies.
- Finding some free time from work for yourself.
One might think that personal development is all about training courses, life coaching, reading a book, subscribing to a self-help resource, etc. But a key driving force behind it all is how much time you invest in gaining new knowledge. This knowledge can be based on anything like being updated on the latest news and world affairs, technological advancements, financial tools, academic, etc.
Remember that building your own knowledge is a great self-improvement practice because it implies that you are creating a repository of information to be used from time to time. While many people often take on a mentor in order to learn skills such as painting or mathematics, others often prefer to teach themselves to improve their development experience.
Personal Development Apps to Get You By
The first step to personal development is believing that you are unique and that you matter. An excellent and beautiful resource to help you do that is personal development apps.
The Most Recommended Personal Development Apps
- Gratitude Journal: Gratitude is an excellent quality to possess and to be able to express it gives you a way to show humility and kindness. This app helps you remember the things you are thankful for. It lets you add photos, memories, situations, people, etc. to your gratitude list.
- Habit Factor: This is one of the top-performing apps. It helps you with things like time management, self-awareness tips, and even lets you mark your daily progress.
- Elevate: This app is full of interesting games that help train your brain better. Learn new tricks to achieve success in life through games that will keep you hooked throughout the day.
- Self-help Classics: This is your personal self-improvement dictionary on-the-go. It is filled with inspiring stories, anecdotes, and quotes from stalwarts, leaders, mentors, and also the average person who has tasted success in life.
- Simply Being: This is a meditation app that helps you adopt useful meditative practices with the help of guided meditation.
How else can you manage your personal development?
Personal Development Articles, Blogs, and Books
Books are always a wonderful resource to gather new information, build new knowledge, and just be inspired. While having assertiveness and a positive attitude can certainly be helpful in any of the various development programs or plans you can take part in or make for yourself, learning the art of goal-setting can be more important. It is often the deciding factor between success and failure.
Personal Development Books
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Steven Covey is a stalwart in the area of organizational development and self-improvement. If you’re looking to build effective professional skills, while working on personal development, you must get hold of this masterpiece immediately.
- The Alchemist: Paulo Coelho, the master story-teller has intricately woven the nuances of self-improvement in this gem of a read. While this classic novel may not call up images of stress management, adaptability in tough situations, and emotional intelligence, it delves into the innately human qualities that often become the driving force of one's success.
- What To Say When You Talk To Yourself: Shad Helmstetter’s book delves into why our inner monologue tends to be so negative and what you can do to change it – a skill that can help you whether you’re looking to improve your fitness or boost your self-confidence.
You can even listen to podcasts, and read personal development blogs and articles to get ahead. Here are a few recommendations:
- Beyond the To-Do List: This podcast is perfect if you are looking to enhance and boost your development plans. Within 60minutes, you will be exposed to the best lessons from Erik Fisher's life and education.
- The EntreLeadership Podcast: Ken Coleman offers some very useful tips on career planning and exploration in this famous podcast. It is highly recommended for entrepreneurs and those with a risk-taking attitude.
- Addicted to Success: This blogpost founded by life coach Joel Brown invites people to share their inspiring stories of self-improvement with the rest of the world.
- The Secret of Compassion: This article is written in the most sensitive way possible to help you open your heart up to the beauty of human compassion.
Have a look at some other blogs and articles on personal development which are sure to hit a chord within you. And if you still need more inspiration and kick-start energy, get in touch with the experts at Superprof India.
The platform that connects tutors and students