"Good authors mature over time: it does take awhile. Travel abroad and learn to live in other cultures. That's one of the things about teaching abroad." -Richard K. Morgan
In a world where millennials are becoming more and more restless to travel, employment opportunities abroad sound like the next best thing. For English speakers, there are plenty of options available in practically every inhabited country to teach English as a Second Language. But how does one become certified to teach and find a job internationally? Have no fear, Superprof is here to save the day and provide answers to all your questions! Read the following information to learn how it is possible to find teaching jobs abroad in some of the world's most spectacular locations.
How to Become a Certified Teacher to Instruct Abroad
Do you dream in colour about the high life that you could have living abroad? Do you want to experience the lives of people that you follow on Instagram, Tumblr, and Facebook? Well, what are you waiting for? Stop imagining what you could have and start living today! Teaching abroad in faraway lands features so many fantastic experiences that cannot be thoroughly explained without having lived it yourself. While it is true that, just like all things in life, not every single moment will be filled with bliss when teaching abroad; however, the pros outweigh any cons experienced. Now the question arises, how does one become a certified teacher to instruct abroad? Well, for starters, the absolute best way to become a teacher abroad is by having studied education at a university level and having received a degree. This proves superior to other manners since students have made connections and received qualifications that international companies much appreciate. Nonetheless, with the ever-increasing rise of people wanting to speak English, there are more individuals than ever before who are teaching English as a Second Language in countries overseas; it is by far the most in-demand academic discipline. To meet the need for English teachers abroad in multiple countries worldwide, there are various English Teaching Certificates that can be completed in only a few weeks. Such as? The TESL, TEFL, TESOL, and CELTA qualifications have been created to enable individuals to teach abroad. What do those terms mean? The following list explains each term:
- TESL: Teaching English as a Second Language,
- TEFL: Teaching English as a Foreign Language,
- TESOL: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages,
- CELTA: Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults.
Now we better understand the critical terms used! Therefore, without further delay, the following steps are provided to aid curious individuals about how to get a TEFL or TESL certification to teach English abroad:
- Dedicate Yourself: since the process of looking for teaching jobs abroad can be quite strenuous and time-consuming, it is of the utmost importance to make sure that you are 100% committed to the idea of teaching in another land.
- Review Your Current Accreditations: do you speak fluent English? Are you over 18 years of age? Do you boast any Bachelor's or Masters degrees? After asking these questions, you will be able to determine if you are ready to undergo a TEFL or TESOL certification programme.
- Become Familiar With the Certifications: there is a lot to know about all of the English Teaching Certificates such as the length of time, where the certifications can be acquired in the UK or abroad if online options are worth the effort, and in which countries they can be used after they have been received; do your research and you'll be fine!
- Shop Around: don't commit to the first programme you find online, look at various options that are available on sites such as Go Abroad, Dave's ESL Cafe, etc. Talk to many ESL providers to get a feeling for what you're actually looking for in an accreditation. It is essential to state that some qualifications have connections with schools abroad which makes it easier to find jobs.
- Stay Focused: after having chosen the right TESL course and having paid, it's time for class! The best advice is to stay focused and not get distracted since there is so much information crammed into a short period of time.
- Think About the Future: after you have finished your English Teaching Qualification Course and have received your diploma, it's time to get a teaching job abroad. Nevertheless, it is best to spend some time thinking about where you see yourself teaching and for how long.
After the previously mentioned steps have been put into practice, and you're certified, the world is your oyster, and you're ready to transform minds all over the world! What about summer jobs abroad? Read our fantastically written article to find out more!
Where to Find Teaching Jobs Abroad
After the educational years at an academic institute have been completed, and the intrigue of teaching abroad continues to persist, the only thing that indeed remains is finding a job. While it is true that after completing a TEFL or TESOL programme there are individual connections that have been made and through networking a job may be found, it is sometimes best to search around and check your options. But where can I find teaching jobs abroad? The following are some fantastic sites to find teaching jobs abroad:
- Teach Away: as a person who receives email newsletter's from Teach Away, I can highly recommend their website to help TESL educated teachers find English teaching jobs all over the world. On the ESL job board, new employment positions are added each and every day. Also, users can search for new posts by job title, key responsibilities, and location.
- Dave's ESL Cafe: another fantastic resource that I used when searching for ESL jobs in other countries was Dave's ESL Cafe. Offering a Korea, China, and International job board, Dave's ESL Cafe is a fantastic resource that should definitely be utilised.
- Superprof: let's be honest and not partial, Superprof has the best tutors in the business today; hands have done! Due to Superprof, it has never been so easy to become a tutor. After creating a profile and being approved to be featured on the website, Superprof tutors can set their prices, teach about things they are genuinely passionate about, and work online from a remote location all around the world. Check out our website to start tutoring today and have a teaching job that you can take abroad with you!
Other fantastic online resources to find teaching jobs include Go Abroad, Go Overseas, i-to-i, ESL Employment, and ESL Job Feed. Find out more about work and travel abroad by reading the Superprof published article.
Best Countries to Teach Abroad
Where do you want to go and spend the precious years of your youth teaching? France? Italy? Spain? Costa Rica? South Africa? Egypt? Thailand? Indonesia? As citizens of planet earth, we are definitely spoiled for choice when we think about the variety there is in this world. See the best tutors near me here. For instance, for those who love the mountains, Peru, Bolivia, and Nepal are fantastic places to find employment positions abroad. For those who adore the beach, we recommend the Italian coast, Thailand, or the Philippines. Also, for individuals who want to spend their free-time observing exotic animals, we recommend South Africa or Zambia. All in all, there really is a place for everyone's unique tastes and desires! Nonetheless, when going abroad to teach for the first time, it is highly recommended to find a place that is safe, has excellent infrastructure, and enough creature comforts to make the experience enjoyable. Therefore, without any further ado, to pique the curiosity of interested ones who are planning to teach English overseas, the following are the absolute best countries to find teaching jobs abroad in recent years:
- South Korea: an extremely well-developed country with plenty of social advantages that make it very easy for foreigners to adjust, South Korea offers many Teaching English as a Second Language jobs. The TEFL employment positions are significantly paid and leave room for opportunities to save money.
- Chile: while Asian countries have been all the rage in recent years, especially for teaching jobs, Chile has managed to rise above other nations and become one of the best countries in the world to find a job as a TESOL instructor. Chile is safe in comparison to its neighbours and boasts many ex-pats in populated areas.
- United Arab Emirates: can I really make that much money teaching in one of the world's most expensive countries? The answer is yes. To make up for the high cost of living, teachers instructing in cities such as Abu Dabi or Dubai enjoy cushy salaries and countless benefits.
- Spain: according to recent research studies, Spain is the best place to find teaching jobs in past years. With beautiful places to live and countless delicious dishes to taste, Spain is a lovely place for those who are teaching abroad for the first time.
Check for working employment possibilities here. Other highly recommended countries to teach abroad are Japan, China, and Morroco. Also, we should never forget tourism giants such as Thailand and Indonesia as essential places to teach English overseas. In conclusion, finding a teaching job abroad is a brilliant idea to learn more about new traditions and customs of a foreign land while, at the same time, earning some income to travel even more in the future; for what are you waiting? Do you want to volunteer abroad? Click this link to find out more!
The platform that connects tutors and students