Don't use social media to impress people; use it to impact people. - Anonymous
The business of education has been revolutionized with the onset of social media in the last decade. Private tutors, specifically, have benefitted a great deal from this online education revolution that has ushered in a new era of tutoring. In the covid era, the business of online tutoring has seen an increase in its demand by more than 200%. That in itself should tell you a lot about the direction in which educational services are beginning to tilt.
Even a home-based tuition centre can start to make money through online tutoring and attract more and more clients. An online tutor can easily use social media platforms like Facebook and LinkedIn to reach out to a wide group of students. Students can easily check tutor availability by connecting through various fora on these platforms. There are also other online tutoring platforms like Superprof, which have also help student learning by establishing tutor-student connect.
Social Media As The Next Big Thing in Education
Students spend a lot of time on social media. In fact, young students spend most of their time hooked to some social media websites. If you want to be successful in the business of online tutoring, you need to be able to leverage that. The first step is simple- just set up a free account on any of the portals and go from there. Some of the best tutoring portals and websites also offer services in marketing your profile and help you reach out to a wider market. You can start small and then expand your pool of students.
How Can You Use Social Media to Your Benefit?
In order to make social media work for you, you need to start with the basics:
- Know your audience- ask yourself who you want as your student base? Are there going to be parents involved?
- Know your competition- Find out about other businesses or institutions- schools, private tuition centres, any company offering similar services in your area, etc.
- Know your service- Decide which services you want to offer- teaching, mentoring, extra classes, subject, etc. You can also choose to tie up with a private tuition center and offer tutoring services.
- Know the right tools and platforms- A good social media website will let you market your profile well. A good way of finding out an effective platform is to go through user reviews online.
It is easy to create your portfolio online and start looking. There are specific groups as well on social media that help you search for specific sets of students in a particular area. But you have to learn to differentiate between the genuine and the fake ones, which could be confusing at first.
Check out these expert tips to plan effective lesson plans online.
Learn the Basics of Online Teaching Before You Start
Tutors can easily offer personal tuitions as long as they are well-versed with the basics of online teaching, starting with knowing the technology. It is also important to maintain a work schedule to optimize your teaching hours. Here are some other important things to know before you start private tuitions online:
The business of online tutoring can be very rewarding and remunerative. But it depends a great deal on external factors like a good internet and computer compatibility. If you are teaching online at home, make sure you do the following before each class:
- Set up a secure internet connection.
- Double-check your audio and video quality.
- Have power backup for the internet.
- Have an effective lesson plan.
Use the Right Technology
No matter what level you are at in your tutoring business, you always need to upgrade in terms of the technology that you use while teaching online. Be up to date on the latest tech in the market, especially accessories that are more adaptable. This reduces distractions during classes and makes students want to stay focused on the lesson.
Do An Expectation Setting
Since you are teaching online through private tuitions, you must be charging a certain amount of money that students are paying beyond their school fees. This means they expect a lot more from you than what they do in their classroom in terms of learning. It is important to set expectations right at the very beginning of the course to avoid any displeasures in the end.
How can you prepare for the first class as a teacher?
What Are the Most Effective Tools In Online Tutoring?
Traditional methods of teaching are effective and used widely in any educational set up. But when you shift to the business of delivering personal tuitions online, some methods work better than others.
Many clients or students prefer to learn through visual aids like videos or presentations as against the traditional lecture model. You can also use a digital tablet which is a step up from the classroom blackboard. It will help you write and draw content as you would on a blackboard in class.
Check out these websites that help you make super-engaging presentations.
If your time doesn't permit you to engage in live online classes, you can also post your lectures on online platforms or the website of your choice where students can access it in lieu of a small fee. Today, many tutors are making money using this method.
To build ownership of the students, many tutors are breaking away from traditional teaching methods. This approach entails students reviewing your lecture notes prior to your online session. You can use online quizzes and infographics or YouTube videos from other tutors to make the class more engaging.
Lecture methods are boring. Students and teachers alike are opting for more game-based and interactive teaching methods. The impact of this is also seen among tutors.
This is a great and effective way to keep your students engaged even after you are done with the online class. When you sign up on a tutoring website, you will come across this option that you can choose. This lets you conduct discussions including feedback on your tutoring session.
Find out more about the most effective teaching methods.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media in Education
As an online tutor, you can easily grow your business using the power of social media. But, along with its benefits, it is also important to consider its drawbacks.
Benefits of Social Media in Education
- Students can connect to a wide network of peers. Through discussion forums, they can get their queries addressed, ask questions, and find new information on trending current affairs.
- Social media websites feature the latest news which is a sort of repository of new knowledge for both students and teachers.
- Tutors can upload their video lectures on social media platforms that can benefit a wider audience.
- A tutor can also give access to subject-related notes under the subscription model.
- Social media is the key source of information on job openings.
Drawbacks of Social Media in Education
- Social media is addictive, especially for younger students who can get hooked to the wrong kind of content.
- Not every social media site is useful for education or private tutoring.
- Online classes have restricted scope for peer to peer and student-tutor interactions.
- The advancement of technology, on its flipside, can limit the learning potential of students.
Social media is about sociology and psychology more than technology. - Brian Solis.
The business of teaching is not an easy affair. Online tutoring and virtual classes make the profession ten times more difficult. But with the help of social media, tutors stand to benefit a great deal, if they can use it in the right way. You can own a tuition center or teach from home. Social media can help you get maximum students and help your tutoring business proliferate in the shortest possible time.
So, what are you waiting for? Go online, find a website of your choice, and start earning money as a private tutor online.
The platform that connects tutors and students