Aspiring singers start learning to sing, usually focusing on a particular genre during their initial years of vocal training. Music genres are important as they help singers appreciate, comprehend, and communicate with each other about their music.
It takes time to refine the voice and make it flexible to continuous modulations.
One must be aware of some of the popular genres of singing in India to start with training classes. Professional singing or voice teachers and vocal coaches offer specialized courses in particular genres.
- Indian Classical Music
- Sufi Music
- Folk Songs
- Rabindra Sangeet
- Bollywood Music
- Indian Rock Music
- Jazz and Blues
- Western Classical Music
Find Singing Classes Online in Pune
Pune is home to some of the foremost singing schools in India, such as the Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, Panchee School of Music, Mad Over Music Academy, Alankar Music Classes, and so on. So, if you are searching for singing classes near me in Pune, you are in great luck!
While there are always conventional classes conducted in music schools and training institutes, the convenience of online classes is unmatched, especially in the post-COVID19 world. Online singing classes facilitate a connective network enabling ease and accessibility. All one has to do is go online, browse through tutor profiles to discover all the teachers across one's own city as well as India.
Unique filters enable students to find the preferred type of music teacher, within their defined budget. There is no need to visit different institutes and learn with students. Online classes ensure that you get to practice your lessons under the guidance of your chosen singing teacher. Practice singing lessons in the comfort of your home and give yourself the best chance to become a well-trained singer.
Gandharva Mahavidyalaya is one of the oldest and most respected institutes offering singing classes in Pune. It was established by Pt. V. Patwardhan, the most senior disciple of Pt Vishnu Digambar Patwardhan, a visionary who endeavored to spread music to the common people. The Mahavidyalaya aims to educate people in music and promote music, like Hindustani and instrumental music, like Harmonium and Tabla.
At the school, special care is taken to train students on how to perform Hindustani classical music on the global stage. This is sought to be achieved by giving students the opportunity to perform and participate in well-acclaimed concerts. The Mahavidyalay incorporates Sugam Sangeet into the various music courses it offers, including Bhavgeet, Natyageet, and more. Music courses are also organized for kids 5 years of age and above. This course is called Balgeet.
‘Praarambhik’ is the first level of vocal training courses at the school. It introduces students to the basics of Indian classical music, such as swar, raag, and taal. Once these concepts are learned, the students move on to the next stages of learning how to sing confidently.
- Swar: Students are introduced to the shuddha swars, which are taught through simple alankaars.
- Raag: Students are familiarized with 8 basic raagas, viz., Bhoopali, Durga, Kafi, Khamaj, Kalyan, Bhimpalas, Des, and Bageshri.
- Taal: The 2basic taalas, viz., Tritaal and Jhaptaal, are introduced in this course.
- Theory: The course includes some definitions of music terminology, such as sangeet, swar, taal, sam, kaal, maatraa, taali, vaadi-samvaadi, and aaroha-avroha.
Teachers on Supeprof offer classes in various genres, like Classical (Hindustani/ Indian or Western), Carnatic, and vocal training. Superprof teachers are affordable and most of them offer their first class for free so that students can understand the teaching methods. They are independent teachers, who are mostly not attached to any singing institute or academy. These verified teachers know how to assess your current singing level to curate lessons for your benefit.
Go through the teacher profiles, read the reviews, and schedule a class as per your requirement. The reviews and testimonials enable you to choose the best teacher. Professional vocal training instructors and singing teachers sign up on Superprof with years of experience. Take their feedback to highlight areas of improvement during the live lesson sessions. Become a singing pro by signing up on Superprof today!
Private lessons with a singing teacher on Superprof are priced, on average, at ₹628, for students in Pune. Lesson prices depend on:
- Experience of your singing teacher
- Where your lessons will take place (via Skype or at your place or at the residence of your teacher)
- Number of classes
- Duration of each class
- The objective of your classes
The online platform provided by Superprof can connect you with the best singing teachers in your city. Browse the verified tutor profiles in your city by entering your location in the search box. Choose your singing teacher as per your payment and genre preferences. Shortlist and connect with your private singing teacher!
Shankar Mahadevan Academy
The Academy, hosted by acclaimed music maestro, Shankar Mahadevan, has a 34000+ strong student community, from across 81 countries who are enrolled in the pursuance of their passion for music from the convenience of their homes. There are over 466 courses on offer, delivering more than 163,000 online classes every year! The Academy has transformed the way music is taught in schools across India, with their In-Campus School Programs for school children of all age groups.
Popular Courses Offered
- Hindustani Vocals
- Carnatic Vocals
- Playback Singing
- Music for Children
- Voice Gym
- Contest Preparation
- Sa Pa Sa
- Movie Songs – Hindi, Marathi, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, Bengali
- Devotional Songs
- Rhymes to Swaras
- Lost Lullabies – Hindi, Marathi, Malayalam
- My Favorite Songs
Certificate Programs for Indian Classical Music
The whole classical music program at the Academy divided into 3 levels: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. Each level is further subdivided into several modules, containing unique lessons, taught by expert teachers via live online classes.
Take advantage of the many self-learning tools offered here, like a digital textbook called the OM Book™, a riyaaz recorder that allows you to record your renditions and submit them to the academy for detailed evaluation. Assessments are conducted at the end of each module. Successful completion of each module will earn students a certificate signed by Shankar Mahadevan.
For classical music courses, SMA uses a combination of 3 different teaching methods.
- Virtual Classes or live classes are usually held once a week via Cisco Webex. Each class has a teacher with up to 3 students.
- OM Book™ or the Online Music Book or OM Book™, a digital textbook containing the entire learning material for the course one has have enrolled for.
- Assessments and Examinations evaluate the learning progress of students.
Swar Taal Sadhana
The Swar-Taal Sadhana school of music, established in 1993 by renowned Tabla and Dholki artist Shri. Sanjay Karandikar, aims to spread Indian music, art, and culture around the globe. Thei motto, 'Sangeetam Vishwa Samwad Saadhanam' conveys the power of music to unite the people and create an environment of love and peace. The school encourages students of all ages to follow their passion by helping them nurture their talents.
Features of Vocal Training Courses
- Musical aptitude tests and guidance allow students to choose their appropriate music genre.
- Music Consecration or 'Sangeet Sanskar' is a special course conducted for children between ages 4 and 6.
- Students are prepared for Classical Vocal, Harmonium, Bansuri, and Tabla examinations conducted under the aegis of Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya Mandal.
- Certified courses for Folk, Light, and Semi-Classical Music are also on offer.
- Educational books (with audiovisual aids), based on examination syllabi, are provided to students.
- Students receive guidance on musical presentation and accompaniment.
- Interactive workshops are conducted under eminent musicians.
- Music education programs are undertaken.
- Performance opportunities are granted to budding artists.
- Career guidance for those aspiring to be professional singers is also provided.
Counterpoint: The Music Academy
A mix of experience and innovation, Counterpoint is the place for contemporary singing artists who are looking to move beyond traditionally mandated singing styles. Primarily focused on professional and formal training, the Academy actually offers a lot for any music enthusiast. With potential and passion, students of singing will receive expert guidance to make the most of the space. The classes cost around INR 2,500 per month. Masterclasses are also held once every two months, under the guidance of some of the best musicians, for free!
The platform that connects tutors and students