To become a versatile and melodious singer by seeking professional training or guidance. Your vocal teacher can guide you in your understanding of the different notes and how to hold on to them. They can also teach you more about musical scales, and how to hone in on the correct notes when you sing. Singing lessons help students discover their vocal range as well as the most appropriate genre of songs for their vocal range.
Vocal and Breathing Exercises to Improve Singing
There are vocal exercises that you have to practice every day before singing. A singing teacher can guide you on how to do the following exercises to warm your voice up.
- Sighing And Yawning: Useful for controlling breathing while singing, especially high pitch songs.
- Slow Humming: Especially useful for someone singing Indian songs that emphasize melodious humming to build the mood of the song. Modulate the tone in between to adjust the sound of “Hmmm” while practicing.
- Lip Buzzing: Vibrate your lips, while making them sound like a motorboat for 1 minute. Pause. Take a deep breath and start again. This warm-up is easy and effective.
- Straw Vocalising: Take a straw and cover one side of it with your lips. Then, start singing your favorite song starting from the low pitch and eventually to the high pitch. You have to make your voice pass through the straw.
- Slow Sirens: Covers almost all notes and tones that are usually used while singing.
- Loosening the Jaw: Trained singers need to drop their jaw a bit lower than they do while talking.
- Two-Octave Pitch Glides: Glide your tongue through the chromatic notes of the defined two-octave range while making an “e” sound with your mouth.
- Tongue Trills: The most difficult exercise of all vocal exercises, as some singers find it difficult to perform, it requires you to curl your tongue and roll it in R’s as you will modulate your voice from low to high.
- Breathing Control: A simple exercise that teaches you to control your breathing by holding it for a fixed period. The more you can hold your breath, the stronger will be your command over it while singing.
- Exhale on a Hiss: Counting, modulating, are some examples of this exercise. Ask your singing teacher to help you understand all the ways of the hissing breath exercise.
Find a Suitable Singing Class in Chennai
Chennai is home to many singing institutes and music schools for singing aspirants. To enroll in one, one must visit the institutes, check their class timings and schedule, and adjust their own routine to accommodate the singing classes in a week. Some of the more famous institutes to learn singing in Chennai include the Chennai Music School, MMC Music Classes, Vidhvath School of Music, etc.
Learn at your pace, in a comfortable environment, under the personal guidance of an experienced online instructor!
However, for those who realize how difficult it has become to travel anywhere, in the post-COVID19 world, or if group lessons are not your cup of tea, sign up for the experience of private classes on online platforms. Online platforms help you find the best singing instructors in the city who offer online classes. These platforms are efficient in connecting teachers and students in the online world. Each year, millions of students and teachers reap the benefits of online classes. Simply visit any of these websites and find your online singing tutor in Chennai. Shankar Mahadevan Academy
John's Academy of Music
Voice training classes at John’s Academy of Music efficiently teach students significant vocal techniques. Aspiring singers can definitely gain more confidence in various aspects of singing through the Academy's vocal coaching. Voice training classes are conducted once a week, with only 3–5 students per batch, thereby ensuring individual attention towards each student in the class.
Eligibility for Vocal Training Sessions
- Students should be 10+ years of age (no upper limit).
- Both male and female candidates are eligible for singing auditions
- Learn appropriate breathing techniques, posture, and diction.
- Learn various styles of singing.
- Become a qualified rock and pop musician.
- Learn to sing songs by Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Dusty Springfield, and many others from the Trinity Rock and Pop syllabus.
- Gain unprecedented music knowledge with each graduating grade, from insights into singing classical hits to contemporary songs.
- Learn how to use the microphone professionally and improve stage performances, through studio sessions and other exercises during the voice training classes.
Teachers on Supeprof offer classes in various genres, like Classical (Hindustani/ Indian or Western), Carnatic, and vocal training. Superprof teachers are affordable and most of them offer their first class for free so that students can understand the teaching methods. They are independent teachers, who are mostly not attached to any singing institute or academy. These verified teachers know how to assess your current singing level to curate lessons for your benefit.
Go through the teacher profiles, read the reviews, and schedule a class as per your requirement. The reviews and testimonials enable you to choose the best teacher. Professional vocal training instructors and singing teachers sign up on Superprof with years of experience. Take their feedback to highlight areas of improvement during the live lesson sessions. Become a singing pro by signing up on Superprof today!
Private lessons with a singing teacher on Superprof are priced, on average, at ₹685, for students in Chennai. Lesson prices depend on:
- Experience of your singing teacher
- Where your lessons will take place (via Skype or at your place or at the residence of your teacher)
- Number of classes
- Duration of each class
- The objective of your classes
The online platform provided by Superprof can connect you with the best singing teachers in your city. Browse the verified tutor profiles in your city by entering your location in the search box. Choose your singing teacher as per your payment and genre preferences. Shortlist and connect with your private singing teacher!
The Music Academy
The Music Academy, Chennai (formerly, Madras) is a pathbreaking institution in the history of the fine arts. The Academy started out as an offshoot of the All India Congress Session held in Madras in December 1927, when a music conference at the Congress Session, gave rise to the idea behind the Academy. The Academy was inaugurated on August 18, 1928, at the YMCA Auditorium, Esplanade by Sir CP Ramaswami Aiyar.
The Academy was conceived to be the institution that would set the standard for Carnatic music.
In 1929, the Academy started the practice of hosting annual conferences on music, which was the forerunner of the December music festival of Madras, one of the largest cultural events of the world. The Academy offers research-oriented programs in vocal music, as well as regular training in singing.
Advanced Diploma in Carnatic Music (Vocal)
This is a 3-year program for which eligibility includes a minimum educational qualification of +2 (successfully completed) and an age limit of 18-25 years.
The Academy Madras offers programs in Musicology and Research in Music. It also publishes its own Journal which completed its 90th year of publication in 2019-20.
Advanced School of Carnatic Music
Under this project, scholarships are awarded to students who meet the following criteria:
- A minimum educational qualification of +2 (successfully completed)
- Students should be aged between 18 and 30 years.
- Students should be able to sing Varnams, Kritis, and have a reasonable level of Manodharma.
Shankar Mahadevan Academy
The Academy, hosted by acclaimed music maestro, Shankar Mahadevan, has a 34000+ strong student community, from across 81 countries who are enrolled in the pursuance of their passion for music from the convenience of their homes. There are over 466 courses on offer, delivering more than 163,000 online classes every year! The Academy has transformed the way music is taught in schools across India, with their In-Campus School Programs for school children of all age groups.
Popular Courses Offered
- Hindustani Vocals
- Carnatic Vocals
- Playback Singing
- Music for Children
- Voice Gym
- Contest Preparation
- Sa Pa Sa
- Movie Songs – Hindi, Marathi, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, Bengali
- Devotional Songs
- Rhymes to Swaras
- Lost Lullabies – Hindi, Marathi, Malayalam
- My Favorite Songs
UrbanPro has verified, reviewed, and trusted profiles of experienced and talented singing teachers. Students love UrbanPro for its easy navigability. Currently, 1,325 singing tutor profiles are available on the platform. They offer various singing courses and classes. These include approximately 823 singing tutors and 502 institutes for learning to sing in Chennai. Some of the top localities to find a singing teacher and a suitable singing course in Chennai include Mylapore, West Mambalam, Madipakkam, and Kodambakkam.