The 12th standard of high school is extremely important for every Indian student. If a student has opted for science, then they must make sure to master their subjects of Physics, Chemistry, and Maths to get good marks in their board examination. In this article, we will study the concepts of general chemistry and also study the ways to make the chemistry notes of all the important topics in a relevant way.
Chemistry is an interesting subject that offers the study of various chemical reactions of different elements of the periodic table. While learning the chemistry course, one should make sure that all their basics and fundamentals should be clear. So let us go ahead and study the various structures and equations of chemistry.
Preparing for the Syllabus of Class 12 Chemistry
In the class 12th syllabus, the syllabus starts with the introduction to the chemistry chapter. In this chapter all the basic concepts of topics of chemistry that you have previously studied in your previous class are covered. Topics such as states of matter, atoms, acids, bonding, thermodynamics, covalent bonding, the atomic structure of elements, etc. are covered in a brief way. Have a look at the effective way to revise all your syllabus.
The syllabus for class 12th chemistry is more detailed and has topics such as the solid states of materials which have the understandings of various molecular models, the concept of oxidation number, knowing the isotopes, organic chemistry, and inorganic chemistry, nuclear chemistry, etc.
All these concepts are made to understand with the help of the following chapters:
- The solid-state
- Chemical Kinetics
- Surface Chemistry
- General Principles & Process of Isolation
- p block elements
- d and f elements
- Coordination compounds
The most important topics in the chemistry of Class 12 are organic and inorganic chemistry. Both together have hundreds of chemical reactions to teach and they offer the study of types of chemical reactions that occurs in the periodic table of elements. Find out the HSC chemistry syllabus for class 12 here. Down below, we will understand about organic and inorganic chemistry in brief.
Learning Organic Chemistry & Inorganic Chemistry
Chemistry is one of the highest-scoring subjects of Class 12. It is essential for the students to learn all the concepts of organic chemistry as it is one of the most important topics of chemistry. Also, if you have appropriate knowledge of the chemical compounds and ways of balancing chemical equations, whatever may be the questions in the exams, you will surely solve them without much trouble.
The major topics that you will see in the organic chemistry of class 12 are Alcohols, Phenols, and Ethers, Haloalkanes, and Haloarenes, Aldehydes, Ketones, and Carboxylic Acids, Biomolecules, Amines, Polymers, and Chemistry in Everyday Life.
Inorganic chemistry deals with topics such as Solid State, Electrochemistry, Surface chemistry, The d-and f-block Elements, The p-block Elements, Coordination Compounds, General Principles and Processes of Isolation of Elements, Chemical Kinetics, and Solutions.
Important Terms for Organic Chemistry
- Central Atom: An atoms that have a fixed number of ions present in it and are in an accurate geometrical arrangement with some other entity.
- Ligands: The ions that are bound to the central metal atom.
- Coordination Sphere: It is the sphere that has the central atom and ligands attached together in a square bracket.
- Coordination Number: It depicts the number of donor atoms that are bonded directly to the metal.
- Coordination Polyhedron: The ligaments that are directly attached to the ion or the central atom.
- Oxidation Number: If the ligands are removed, then the charge that is carried by the atom is known as the oxidation number of an element.
- Coordination Compounds: When transition atoms are bounded with the number of neutral molecules and anions.
Preparing for Organic Chemistry in Class 12
In the HSC chemistry syllabus, the most important topic to be considered for getting good marks in exams is organic chemistry. For starting with the preparations for your board’s examination, the first step is to solve all the exercise books of NCERT. The most important topics that you should pay the most attention is on Ethers, Alcohol, Ketones, Phenols, Aldehydes, and Carboxylic Acids.
Primarily, you must study and understand the concepts of all these topics. Once the concepts are clear to you, then you should start by solving the NCERT books and their exercise worksheet. Once done with that, then there are several other books like modern chemistry where you can find hundreds or numerical and chemical equations to solve.
Also, you can refer to the sample papers at the back of the book or from an online source that may help you to cover the organic chemistry thoroughly. Some of the topics that have high chances of coming in the HSC 2020 Exam are Sandmeyer’s reaction, Electrophilic, and Nucleophilic substitution reaction, Gatterman-Koch reaction, Rosenmud reduction, Kolbe’s reaction, Wolff-Kishner reduction, etc.
Preparing for Inorganic Chemistry in Class 12
Inorganic chemistry also holds an important position in the HSC Chemistry syllabus for class 12. For the preparation, you must start by covering the most important topics of inorganic chemistry. Topics such as p block and d block elements should be the first topics to be covered. The best way to master these topics is by making short notes of various processes in modern chemistry. Then work on making the notes for the preparations and reactions of these chemical compounds.
When studying for the HSC Chemistry syllabus, inorganic section, more questions in the exam are asked from the NCERT book. So make sure to cover all the books thoroughly because you can not afford to miss it. If seeing the previous pattern of the exams, most structures of various chemical compounds are asked in the exam. So it is necessary to learn them by heart. Find the relevance of the previous year's paper for your exam.
Tips for Achieving Good Marks in Exams
There are several ways and techniques that you must follow to get good marks in your chemistry board exams. Firstly make sure to cover your HSC chemistry syllabus till the months of November and December so that you get sufficient time to revise the topics later. You can check here the ways for revising your syllabus chemistry. Check out the below-given tips for getting additional information:
- Never rush to finish the chapters. Reading a storybook is different but when it comes to chemistry, it is extremely important to understand all the scientific concepts, reactions, and theories.
- Use a reference book with your NCERT book as you might need to understand the topics in detail for making your concepts stronger.
- Never skip the theory and lab classes at your school. Make sure to attend each and every class as all the topics are co-related to one another. If you miss one class, you are definitely going to have a hard time understanding further classes.
- Make sure to perform the experiment in the lab yourself. Experimenting yourself is the best way to understand the chemical compounds and colligative properties of the elements of the periodic table.
- Make sure you work with the numerical problems of all types. This gives you confidence and makes clarity in your mind on how to solve it.
- Finish your HSC chemistry syllabus at least 3-4 months prior to the examination so that you get appropriate time for revising the topics. Also, in case there are some issues with any of the chapters, you will be able to fix that in time.
- Remember to solve the sample papers as they are the best way to practice your doubts and problems.
Using Superprof to Score Good Marks in Class 12 Board Examination
Superprof is one of the biggest platforms from where you can study any kind of subject. It might be academics related, sports-related, or music-related. For your HSC chemistry syllabus, Superprof can be of great help. There are thousands of chemistry teachers that give online classes and private classes to the students that can help you to get good marks. Find out how to score brilliant marks in HSC Chemistry exams here.
Using Superprof, you can check out the profiles of all the teachers that are providing chemistry tuitions in your region. You can see what is their experience, where they are currently teaching and also you can check the testimonials of them given to them by the students. This is very helpful in picking the right teacher for you.
Also, Superprof gives you an added advantage to take a free introductory class from a teacher. This helps in seeing if there is the right compatibility between your teacher and you. Also, you get to understand the way a teacher is teaching and will they be able to help you in the right fashion.
The teachers picked from Superprof are highly experienced and know the ways of making a student study for the exam. They help in making the concepts of various HSC chemistry syllabus clear to the students. So it is advised to check out the Superprof website once and see what difference can be made by studying through an online teacher.