As you approach the fag end of the gruelling CBSE class 12 exams cycle, some of you must have already made up your mind as to the college course you want to pursue. However, there are many students who are yet to decide on this career path. A lack of proper guidance is the primary reason for this indecisiveness. Many questions need to be considered before you can decide the best course to pursue in college that can provide good professional opportunities as well as job satisfaction.
This post is all about those answers you are seeking right now - which course is best for my stream (Humanities, Science, or Commerce). What are the career opportunities like? Which colleges should I apply to? Find out all the answers in this comprehensive guide on the best courses to pursue after the CBSE class 12 exams.
Best Course Options for CBSE Class 12 Commerce Students
Bachelor of Commerce (B. Com.)
Bachelor of Commerce is a 3-year UG program that focuses on subjects such as Economics, Business Law, Accountancy, Taxation, and Finance. The course helps to impart managerial skills to students while focusing on a particular business area. B.Com. students learn about general business principles.
Bachelor of Economics (BE)
Bachelor of Economics is a 3-year undergraduate degree course, that analyses the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services. Students who wish to make it big in the banking and finance sector and other major corporate industries can take up a Bachelor of Economics.
Bachelor of Accounting and Finance (BAF)
Bachelor of Accounting and Finance (BAF) is a 3-year undergraduate course that offers in-depth knowledge in accounting and financial subjects. BAF students learn the technical skills associated with the procedures of financial analysis and accounting standards. Candidates who have an interest in pursuing a career as audit managers or as investment bankers should take up this course.
Bachelor of Commerce in Banking and Insurance (BBI)
B.Com. in Banking and Insurance is a 3-year full-time undergraduate course that is composed of theoretical subjects dealing with banking and insurance.
Bachelor of Commerce in Financial Market (BFM)
B.Com. in Financial Markets is a 3-year undergraduate course. Financial markets are typically defined as a mechanism that enables people to trade financial securities such as bonds, stocks, and commodities in the market. The course involves an advanced study of debt & equity markets, foreign exchange markets, and financial markets.
Bachelor of Law (BA LLB)
LLB is another option that students opt for after completing their 12th standard with commerce. The LLB is governed by the Bar Council of India and prepares students to become lawyers or advocates. The program covers subjects such as:
- Company Law
- Administrative Law
- Family Law
- Constitutional Law
- Property Law
- Corporate Law, etc.
Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
BBA or Bachelor of Business Administration is a 3-year undergraduate program that helps students gain knowledge about business principles and business administration. It instills leadership abilities and cultivates a business vision. Students can also choose a specialization in Marketing, HR, or Finance. Pursuing a BBA undergraduate degree course will help you understand business management, accounting, quantitative techniques for management, and much more.
CA or Chartered Accountancy is a prestigious course. It is an international accounting designation that is granted to accounting professionals across the world, except for the United States. The equivalent of a CA in the US is the CPA or a Certified Public Accountant. Through this course, students can learn subjects such as tax laws, taxation, corporate law, business laws, and auditing.
This course is divided into the following three levels:
- CPT (Common Proficiency Test)
- IPCC (Integrated Professional Competence Course)
- FC (Final course)
Some of the subjects that students can hope to master while pursuing this course are:
- Cost Accounting and Financial Management
- Information Technology
- Auditing and Assurance
- Ethics and Communication
- Corporate and other Laws
- Business Laws, and others
Cost and Management Accountant
Cost and Management Accountant is a professional course offered by ICAI (Institute of Cost Accountants of India). It is very similar to CA and CS. The curriculum of this program is formed on the basis of different levels (foundation, intermediate, and final) that the students need to clear to complete the course. The students are required to obtain expertise in a total of 20 subjects, some of which are:
- Business Mathematics and Statistics
- Laws and Ethics
- Company Accounts and Audit
- Operation Management Information System
- Business Strategy & Cost Management
Choose the Best Course after CBSE Examination Results
Here are stream-wise lists of the best courses to consider following your CBSE class 12 board exams.
Options in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics
- Data Science and Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Information Science & Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Energy Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Industrial Design/Product Design/Vehicle Design
- Data Science/Data Analytics
- Nautical Science/ Merchant Navy Training
- Commercial Pilot License
- Fashion Technology
Options in Medical Science
- MBBS (Medicine & Surgery)
- BAMS (Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery)
- BHMS (Homeopathic Medicine & Surgery)
- BNYS (Naturopathy & Yogic Science)
- BDS (Dental Science)
Options in Pharmaceutical Sciences
- B.Pharm. (4 years)
- Pharm.D. (6 years)
Options in Allied Medical Sciences
- B.Sc. Nursing
- B.Sc. Radiology / Medical Imaging Technology
- B.Sc. Cardiovascular Technology/ Perfusion Technology
- B.Sc. Respiratory Therapy Technology
- B.Sc. Dialysis Technology
- B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Technology
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- B.Sc. Operation Theatre and Anaesthesia Technologies
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- B.Sc. Emergency & Critical Care Technology
- Bachelor of Audiology Speech-Language Therapy
- Bachelor of Optometry
Options in Fundamental Biological Science
- Biological Science/ Bioscience/ Biology (B.S. or Integrated M.S course)
- Botany / Zoology / Physiology
- Food Science/ Food Science & Technology
- Fisheries Science
Options in Arts and Humanities Courses after 12th CBSE Exams
- Bachelor in Liberal Arts
- B.A. Economics
- B.A. Psychology
- B.A. Sociology
- B.A. in Political Science
- B.A. Geography
- B.A. History
Options for Students of All Streams of Study after Class 12th Board Exams
- B.A. LL.B. / B.Sc. LL.B./ B.Com. LL.B./ B.B.A. LL.B. (5-years course)
- Fashion/ Apparel / Costume / Knitwear Design
- Textile Design / Surface Design
- Fashion Merchandising
- Lifestyle Accessories Design/ Leather Design/ Jewellery Design
- Animation Design
- Visual Communication Design
- Graphic Design/ Web Design/ UI-UX Design
- Digital Design
- Film and Video Design / SFX/ VFX Design
- Game Design
- Fine Arts/ Visual Arts/ Sculpture
- Material Design/ Ceramic Design/ Craft Design
- Interior / Furniture Design
- And many others
- Bachelor in Journalism and Mass Communication / Mass Media Studies / Similar
- Bachelor in English/ other languages
- Hotel Management/ Hotel & Catering Administration and Management
- Culinary Arts / Bakery & Confectionary
- Travel and Tourism Management/ Travel Administration / Aviation Management
- Tea Tasting
- B.Sc. IT (some colleges need Mathematics in 12th for this)
Career Opportunities after CBSE Class 12 Examination
Make a Shortlist
Start by eliminating all the possible careers that you're not suited for. Try to visualize yourself in the workspace. Are you someone who likes sitting in an office in your personal space, or do you see yourself being out in the field, meeting people, and being on the move? Let your heart guide you.
Seek Career Counselling
Whether it's a professional problem or a personal one, it's always a good idea to seek help, especially when it's so readily available. Career counsellors are highly trained professionals who help you complete a series of personality evaluations and aptitude tests so that you can make an informed career choice.
Sign Up for Short-Term Courses
The best way to know whether you like something is to study it. A host of colleges offer short-term courses in various fields of interest. After your class 12 results are declared, you also have the option of studying online at your own pace, where the quality of courses is improving greatly by the day.
Sign Up on LinkedIn
LinkedIn is a great place to find out the trending career opportunities and scope of growth. Start following LinkedIn influencers and reading their posts and articles. The information and insights might well help you in making the right choice of career.
Sign Up for an Internship
Find out more about colleges that promise to facilitate internships post the completion of an undergraduate course. This is because internships are the best way to know for a certain whether a particular field suits you.
After your CBSE Class 12 results, take your time and think about what you feel happy about. It could be a hobby or passion that you've loved since childhood - perhaps writing, sketching, building things, etc. The best professionals are those who make their love for something into a career. Try out an internship, or two, to discover that thing that you truly love doing!
The platform that connects tutors and students